• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New Member with WiFi problem

brianw

Lurker
Jan 10, 2010
Hello, and thanks already for the tips tricks and useful apps posting. I have HTC Hero "SIM Free" and have discovered that it doesn't like to talk much to my wireless router from Talktalk. I'd like to post details in the correct place after doing a search in forums and not finding anything. Which forum would that be? Thank you.

Hero has latest ROM. Router is Huawei Echolife HG820s.
Symptom is connection via wifi connects then frequently drops out. Problem is described in detail here
Issue 1698 - android - Wi-fi loses connection with router frequency and doesn't reestablish automatically - Project Hosting on Google Code
I just wonder how widespread this is. Do other android phones have the same problem with this router.
I have tried another wifi point and it seemed to work OK with that. As the router works fine with laptops I fear Talktalk will not take ownership, but HTC support were telling me it sounds like a "compatibility issue" so not sure if they will fix it either.
If anyone has any thoughts, please let me know.

Upvote 0
Belated thank you's to you both for these. Unfortunately I am still having the same problem (note it can connect but drops out). I have worked around it by connecting another router (Linksys BRFW11S) which works just fine but not ideal. HTC support not provind helpful so far but still trying them too.

Upvote 0
I had trouble connecting to my Belkin wireless router initially, the connection kept dropping constantly (it would reconnect automatically only to drop again).

I eventually fixed it by changing the channel away from "auto" to a specific channel that wasn't used by other networks in my area and setting security to WPA only. The "Wifi Analyzer" app (sorry don't know how to look up the barcode for it) has a very good display showing you the other networks in your area and what channel they are on.

Hope that helps.
Rob.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones