• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New permissions for google maps update

CimBa07

Jun 30, 2013
Hi all,

My Google maps app wants to update, but being concerned with security, I recognized that the app wants permissions to my contacts. It's probably safe to update since its from Google, but what do they need to read into my contacts for? Especially with a map app?

Hi all,

My Google maps app wants to update, but being concerned with security, I recognized that the app wants permissions to my contacts. It's probably safe to update since its from Google, but what do they need to read into my contacts for? Especially with a map app?

Probably to get their addresses so you can navigate to them.

Upvote 0
I have not downloaded the recent updates to Maps. Not because of permissions, but because I like the "blue arrow" Nav shortcut, that I keep on my Homescreen.

To me, the recent updates have taken away some easier-to-use features. One feature is as simple as clicking on the blue arrow icon>maps and I have a very nice map that comes up showing me where I am at and where I am going, like using a Garmin GPS, without a specific place that I am navigating to. I have not figured out how to do that with the new updates.

Maybe there is another gps app available that can do as nice a job? Anyway, I am getting along just fine w/o the updates.

Upvote 0
I have not downloaded the recent updates to Maps. Not because of permissions, but because I like the "blue arrow" Nav shortcut, that I keep on my Homescreen.

To me, the recent updates have taken away some easier-to-use features. One feature is as simple as clicking on the blue arrow icon>maps and I have a very nice map that comes up showing me where I am at and where I am going, like using a Garmin GPS, without a specific place that I am navigating to. I have not figured out how to do that with the new updates.
The same functionality is available by pressing the microphone on the Google search bar, and saying "navigation to <destination>"

Upvote 0
Perhaps I was misunderstood, so I would like to try again. With the "Blue Arrow" shortcut, all I have to do is tap it, followed by tapping "Map" and I have an active map showing my surroundings and where I am going. Many times I am not interested in actually navigating to a particular place...I just want to see the map of where I am going to (as if I was using a Garmin GPS unit, for example, w/o actually navigating.) It seems to be a nicer map than just opening "Maps" or having to say "Navigate to <somewhere>."

I certainly like the new features of the Maps updates, but I just find the older version more user friendly for me.

Upvote 0
The blue nav icon is back with Maps 7.2.0 - at least I have it with mine, plus the changelog says "Faster access to navigation" as its first item which suggests this might be deliberate.

Now whether it does what you describe I'm not sure. I so rarely use the Nav shortcut that I don't really recall the interface for that - if I tap it now I get a form to enter start point and destination, after which I can access a map showing these and navigate if I want.

Offline storage is still hidden behind a silly easter egg if you've not searched on a location first, but they've also fixed the integration with the phonebook (which was the starting point of this thread), so it's reached the point where I'm letting it stay for now rather than rolling back to Maps 6.

Upvote 0
An App Ops app like "Permission Manager" from Infolife...
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mobi.infolife.permission
.... will enable you to block individual permissions for specific apps without root IF you are on 4.3. Unfortunately as Hadron mentioned in a recent thread, it doesn't work that way on 4.4.

If you have root I think the above app will allow you to block individual permissions. Otherwise with root you can definitely install Xposed Framework and Xprivacy module for Xposed (both open source) to block individual permissions or to feed fake/spoofed data (like empty contact list or bogus location) to individual apps. It has a little bit of a learning curve though.

Upvote 0
I tried installing the "my maps" thing, it demanded access to my contacts, I said no, it kept giving some garbage about needed an account to use it (I'm already signed into Google) and demanding again and again access to my contacts.

Finally I clicked "Don't ask me again" - and now the app won't load at all.

Google are such brain-dead morons with this stuff. I've come to loath them as a company.

Upvote 0
Google doesn't have my contacts. I don't use Gmail for anything personal but to buy apps, and I don't need maps or location. I've managed to use vcf to manage contacts. I save and TF to SIM that way. I also don't buy any phones from a US carrier. The phone uses Oxygen OS. I had an Oppo that used Color OS and did the same. Phone says contacts phone only, unsynced.

I've checked through all account and dashboard. No contacts. I haven't really trusted Google since the BUZZ episode. That app or service got attached to your account whether you wanted it or not. Such a stink was made that G removed it and apologized. Buzz was the forerunner of +, and now I see that that is changing, too.

I think you are right about contacts. Yahoo/Verizon just admitted that 3 million peoples' accounts were hacked. Could happen to the best and any of them.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones