• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New phone doesn't see apps installed on old SD card

Hello all,

I have a Nexus One (bought in the US) that is about 15 months old and the power button does not work anymore, a known issue. In addition, it does not detect sim cards anymore. I called HTC and they were less then helpful. Warranty apparently is only one year. (In the jurisdiction where I live the law says that regardless of the warranty periods that manufacturers claim you are entitled to warranty during the reasonable technical lifetime of your device, I am sure you can expect a $500 phone to function longer then a year) They would repair the phone for $55 (while the defect is due to a design flaw) and would only ship it to a US address. Bit of a problem since I live on a tiny Caribbean rock.

Anyhow, I decided just to buy a new Nexus One since I had already ordered a car kit for it before it broke and the Nexus One now is a lot cheaper then when it first came out.

It arrived yesterday (already upgraded to Gingerbread) and I placed the SD card from my old Nexus One in the new one. Photos and music are there, contacts and calendar synced, but it does not see the applications installed on the SD card. I could imagine that the Android OS keeps a file with all apps and their whereabouts on the phone's own storage, not on the SD. So how can I make the OS discover the apps already present on the SD?

I tried searching the forum, but those are mainly about data from apps or apps2sd.

You actually have to reinstall the apps if they aren't installed on the phone they wont show up even if the data is on the sd

Is that true? That would s*ck severely, since the Internet on this rock is slow as molasses, 26 kb/sec when you're lucky and I had quite a few apps, some of them quite big.

That also probably means I have to manually delete the old apps to free up space again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones