• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New router or range extender

ajdroidx

Android Expert
Oct 8, 2011
Colorado
First off. Poured concrete formed house. Basement, well they need a way to hold the concrete so there is a corrugated steel sheet holding the concrete and I believe galvanized steel 6" cross members. Bomb shelter? Perhaps, but its also a way to make the homes cheaper.

Anyway, this makes networking a task since I cannot drill through the floor.

Right now I am using a net gear n600 router WNDR3700 and it works okay but a bit week going through the floor. And outside. The 5ghz band is fairly limited but thats okay, I don't really use it as a result. And upstairs for the devices, a net gear wireless G router that uses a messy 26digit password that SUCKS typing in on a phone. Its piggybacked unto the net gear downstairs via a 25' ethernet cable running outside. Not the best set up but it works.

I was thinking about getting a range extender so we could ditch the old net gear and get rid of a wire and use one less 26 digit password and have one less network to switch from going up and down the stairs.

Then I ran across the new amped R20000G router and thought about checking that out. I do know an additional antenna can be bought and I am sure some extra coaxial wire to move the antenna a bit farther away can be hacked together.

One router, one password one power supply. I know I still may need a range extender but perhaps this high powered router can push the signal through the floor a bit better.

If the signal cannot be stable being pushed through the floor, then the range extender is not useful. If nothing else, I will have an extra router and just replace the aging G router that is upstairs with a more up to date one and still have a powerful router for my gear down stairs.

Yes. I did read the reviews and know that the R20000G will need a firmware flash as soon as I get it (or will likely anyway).

If this don't work then I guess an inspection scope, a masonry bit and hammer drill then a titanium coated bit and a LOT of elbow grease to make a new hole to drop a cat 5 wire through. No one wants me to drill through the floor.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones