• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root New sdcard, "linked programs no longer installed"

Displacedmic

Mar 26, 2011
Merry Christmas everyone :)

I'm wide awake now after spending 2 hours putting my kids' christmas crap together so somebody else can take all the credit... so, i sat down to play with my phone before going to bed and ran into some issues with my new SD card.

The card seems to be recognized and work fine, everything is cool - except none of my sdcard apps' links are valid. this isn't the hugest deal in the world as i can just fix it manually, but it's peculiar. So I thought I'd ask if there's a better way to do this for when i invariably upgrade my card again.

here's what i did:

copied the entire contents of the sdcard to a folder on my computer and then onto the new card.
nandroid backup
installed the new card
booted the phone to see if that would work on it's own. had the "linked programs no longer..." message on my sdcard apps
did a nadroid restore.

same problem.

tried again but this time formatted the sdcard first - same issue.
what's even more peculiar is that my apps2sd app is confused and has the phone and the sd card backwards. "move to sdcard" actually moves the app from the SDcard back to the phone and eventually fills it.

is there a better way to do this?
thanks guys and happy holidays!

Evo 4g
MikG V3

Did you have you sdcard partitioned before? If so put the old card in, download terminal emulator if you don't have it, open TE and type su, give it permission then type a2sd remove. Let it do its thing and reboot. Now shut down your phone and put in your new card. Reboot to recovery and partition your card again. Reboot your phone and go to TE. Type su. Type a2sd install. After it reboots your apps should work.

Upvote 0
When you copied the files over to the new SDCARD did you have "Show Hidden Files" on? Sometimes Windows nor Linux will copy hidden files/folders if this is not on.

If you use a regular app2sd program from the market the pieces of the programs are stored in .android_secure

If copied from Windows the (.) is usually not hidden. Windows hides files/folders differently. Also you probably need to check permissions of the .android_secure folder. Copying the files could have changed them and so now android believes them to be corrupt.

If you copied from within a Linux environment then you need to make sure you have "Show Hidden Files" marked so Linux will copy them but again check the file permissions.

For future do a tarball next time tar will record and keep permissions.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones