• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help New to Android and need a little help.

Nighthaunt

Oct 31, 2009
Hi Guys,

I'm on vodafone contract and earlier this year got myself a N97 - which although I love the keyboard, the interface is a real pain to use.

So I decided to grab an HTC Hero phone as I have read so many positive reviews - and made a bit of a mistake - I purchased a new unit from ebay but its T-mobile rather than sim-unlocked :( My fault for not reading description fully - I have done a google search and can find the instructions (although very scarey) for adding a custom rom but I wondered if anyone knew a way to put the generic HTC official rom on the phone? rather than a custom rom?

Also I am looking to upgrade the SD card to a new class 6 version - does the phone work with 32GB or is 16GB the largest the phone will recognise?

Any help much appreciated as atm I'm feeling an absolute idiot and should have read the small print first, and tbh atm I'm tempted to just hide the box in a cupboard when it arrives where I've made such a stupid mistake.

Regards

Alex

Thanks mate - the unlock code's probably the easiest bit :) I would like to unbrand the software on the phone as I will be using to Vodafone and don't fancy links to T-mobile services - would just like to be able to have generic firmware on the phone rather than a network branded firmware.

I have messaged via ebay the seller asking if its possible to cancel the transaction and refund me the paypal payment - not sure thats going to happen though tbh :(

It seems there plenty of instructions on adding a custom rom but I really just want the generic rom from HTC - although using the official updater brings problems as says the phone wont be compatible (according to other people trying this), even though the HTC site says it wipes over network specific firmwares:(

Regards

Alex

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones