• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New to Android

MrMike

May 19, 2010
Hola all, I'm lookng to make my first dip into the Android world, but I'm unsure on handset.

My upgrade is due soon so researching right now. As I'm in the UK the Desire is an obvious choice, but I've just come across the Samsung Galaxy S, which looks awesome. However, I'm wary of Samsung after being bitterly disappointed with the Jet (which I'm still using).

What would the Android experts choose? Is the updated Touchwiz UI going to ruin the phone? Sense seems to have some excellent reviews so I'm leaning towards the Desire, but as this phone will have to last me a couple of years I want to make the right decision. I suppose there is always the Nexus as well, hmmm, decisions.

The best way to find out would probably to try the phones hands-on by yourself, you will get a much better idea from your own impression of the build and UI.

That is true, unfortunately easier said than done with my current work regime.

I think maybe Junkiepilot may have hit the nail on the head though. There is always the returns policy if I don't like.

Upvote 0
Hi there,
I came to the Desire from a Samsung Galaxy - STAY WELL AWAY.

The phone would constantly reboot itself, turn itself off and do all sorts of mental things.
Battery would be lucky to last a day.
Samsung also disabled the OTA updates for the OS - AND the PC sync sorware they ship was incompatible with the handset.
Screen was underwhelming
Storage default would always reset back to internal
Handset was expensive.....

But on the positive side it brought me to the world of Android.... and i've never looked back. The Desire has to be one of the best, if not THE best smartphone on the market today. iPhone? Pah! :p:p

Upvote 0
Hi there,
I came to the Desire from a Samsung Galaxy - STAY WELL AWAY.

The phone would constantly reboot itself, turn itself off and do all sorts of mental things.
Battery would be lucky to last a day.
Samsung also disabled the OTA updates for the OS - AND the PC sync sorware they ship was incompatible with the handset.
Screen was underwhelming
Storage default would always reset back to internal
Handset was expensive.....

But on the positive side it brought me to the world of Android.... and i've never looked back. The Desire has to be one of the best, if not THE best smartphone on the market today. iPhone? Pah! :p:p

I feel the pain with the PC sync software, they did the same thing with the Jet.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones