• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root New to Evo & just rooted :)

cdadams1223

Nov 8, 2010
I've had my Evo for about two weeks now. I was unsure if I wanted to root it or not, but all that is out the window as I rooted it last night. This is all pretty new to me despite my rooting my wife's Hero last year. There's still a lot of things I'm unsure of so be prepared for questions. Gotta get back to work, but I'll be back with questions.

Thanks in advance for future help! :)

Congrats on Rooting! Many on here are willing to help with answers or to fix problems. My suggestion if you haven't done it already would be to read the Rooting for Dummies guide especially the after rooting section. Any questions, just ask.

Thanks for the reply Xtreme! I've read through the guide but there will always be questions. Just to let you know what I did, I used the Unrevoked3 and it worked perfectly. As soon as I rooted, I went into recovery and performed a nandroid backup.I've downloaded ROM Manager and Titanium Backup. As far as the next step, I think I'm supposed to flash the Clockwork thing...right? So that I don't lose any data, I'm supposed to do a TB (and other backups, i.e. SMS, etc.) and then a complete wipe prior to flashing a custom ROM...right?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply Xtreme! I've read through the guide but there will always be questions. Just to let you know what I did, I used the Unrevoked3 and it worked perfectly. As soon as I rooted, I went into recovery and performed a nandroid backup.I've downloaded ROM Manager and Titanium Backup. As far as the next step, I think I'm supposed to flash the Clockwork thing...right? So that I don't lose any data, I'm supposed to do a TB (and other backups, i.e. SMS, etc.) and then a complete wipe prior to flashing a custom ROM...right?

If you were able to go into recovery and do a nandroid backup, then clockwork is already installed. I would recommend not using Rom Manager as it is buggy. I prefer doing everything manually. It is a good idea to get comfortable with the manual steps as you may need it if you ever get stuck in a boot loop or stuck on the splash screen after flashing. TB is good for transferring your apps when you switch roms, I would be careful restoring data though as it can cause conflicts that make diagnosing difficult at times.

As far as flashing, if you are flashing a rom, then do a full wipe(I use Caulkin's Format All). If you are flashing a kernel or theme then only wipe Davlik-cache.

When you get ready to flash a rom, there is some info you need to verify to make sure your radios are current for the rom you will be flashing. We can cover that when you are ready to start your new addiction :)

Reactions: cdadams1223
Upvote 0
Most would recommend using Amon RA over Clockworkmod. The current version of Amon is 2.3. It can be found over on XDA in the development section.

It can also be found here: http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/259446-clockwork-amon-ra-pc36img-files.html

If you want to switch over to Amon RA we can walk you through it. Your previous nandroid backups from Clockwork will not work with Amon RA so switching sooner than later saves you some hassles later on. There are quite a few that still use clockwork, I just recommend doing everything manually.

Upvote 0
If you were able to go into recovery and do a nandroid backup, then clockwork is already installed. I would recommend not using Rom Manager as it is buggy. I prefer doing everything manually. It is a good idea to get comfortable with the manual steps as you may need it if you ever get stuck in a boot loop or stuck on the splash screen after flashing. TB is good for transferring your apps when you switch roms, I would be careful restoring data though as it can cause conflicts that make diagnosing difficult at times.

As far as flashing, if you are flashing a rom, then do a full wipe(I use Caulkin's Format All). If you are flashing a kernel or theme then only wipe Davlik-cache.

When you get ready to flash a rom, there is some info you need to verify to make sure your radios are current for the rom you will be flashing. We can cover that when you are ready to start your new addiction :)

I think I'm ready to start my new addiction. I rooted my wife's Hero last year and for some reason it seemed a lot easier than my Evo. :thinking:

Upvote 0
Most would recommend using Amon RA over Clockworkmod. The current version of Amon is 2.3. It can be found over on XDA in the development section.

Why is that? Is Amon RA more stable? I've tried to read up on recoveries in general but I guess I'm still somewhat confused. When one roots their device, they are able to perform a nandroid backup which is essentially a 'picture' of their device at that particular time...right? So the Clockwork or Amon RA recovery is what exactly (seriously a noob question...I know)? I realize you have to have one or the other. Are they (CW and Amon) what allows you to perform a nand backup?

Upvote 0
I learned about rooting on a Hero. This is alot easier in my opinion. Unrevoked runs itself and reading and following the directions gets it done right and with few issues. Any questions or problems, just ask.

Oh...the rooting process was easy. Pardon my previous post as I meant everything else outside of rooting seems more challenging or difficult to understand.

Upvote 0
I use Amon RA. It seems to be less buggy than Clockwork. Follow the directions here: http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/259446-clockwork-amon-ra-pc36img-files.html if you are wanting to switch. Now would be a good time. If you wait and want to switch later, all of the backups you make in Clockwork will not work with Amon RA. As far as difficult, there is a lot to learn but the basics are the most important. Always, always(did I say always) make a nandroid backup before you make any changes to your phone. Read the steps a couple of times til you get used to what you have to do.....when in doubt, ask questions. Most on here are more than willing to help.

Upvote 0
I use Amon RA. It seems to be less buggy than Clockwork. Follow the directions here: http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/259446-clockwork-amon-ra-pc36img-files.html if you are wanting to switch. Now would be a good time. If you wait and want to switch later, all of the backups you make in Clockwork will not work with Amon RA. As far as difficult, there is a lot to learn but the basics are the most important. Always, always(did I say always) make a nandroid backup before you make any changes to your phone. Read the steps a couple of times til you get used to what you have to do.....when in doubt, ask questions. Most on here are more than willing to help.

Okay...I downloaded the Amon RA 2.3 (PC36IMG_RA_2.3) version but there was no where on that thread that stated how to get rid of my current CW recovery and replace it with the new recovery. Or, do I just need to flash the Amon Recovery now via these steps (per that page):

1) Download the appropriate PC36IMG.zip for whichever recovery image you want.
2) Rename the file to PC36IMG.zip, exactly, being careful to not rename it to PC36IMG.zip.zip or accidentally unzip the file.
3) Copy the file to the root of your sdcard (That mean the top level, not in any folders).
4) Boot into hboot by turning the phone off, then turning it back on while pressing and holding the volume down button.
5) Flash the file when prompted.
6) When done, rename or remove the PC36IMG.zip file, or it will prompt you to flash it again every time you boot back into hboot.

Thanks again!

Upvote 0
Okay...I downloaded the Amon RA 2.3 (PC36IMG_RA_2.3) version but there was no where on that thread that stated how to get rid of my current CW recovery and replace it with the new recovery. Or, do I just need to flash the Amon Recovery now via these steps (per that page):

1) Download the appropriate PC36IMG.zip for whichever recovery image you want.
2) Rename the file to PC36IMG.zip, exactly, being careful to not rename it to PC36IMG.zip.zip or accidentally unzip the file.
3) Copy the file to the root of your sdcard (That mean the top level, not in any folders).
4) Boot into hboot by turning the phone off, then turning it back on while pressing and holding the volume down button.
5) Flash the file when prompted.
6) When done, rename or remove the PC36IMG.zip file, or it will prompt you to flash it again every time you boot back into hboot.

Thanks again!

Follow the directions and it will replace clockwork with Amon RA. Make a backup afterwards.

Upvote 0
Did you accidentally click on the VOL DOWN button? If not, could be a bad download. Had that happen as well, especially when I flashed RA. Try again and make sure you hit VOL UP. If that doesn't work, you'll have to wait for somebody a little more intelligent about these phones than me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones