• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help New to smartphones

dthgtr

Aug 9, 2011
Hi,

The LG Optimus V is my first venture in to smartphones. Most things are pretty straight forward but there are a few things that are a puzzle to me.

First I know where to find the available internal phone storage, however, when I look under running services there is a red, yellow, and green bar that has other: 52 MB in 5 (to the left) and Avail: 231 MB + 103 MB in 24 (to the right). The numbers are not always
the same but I have no idea what exactly they refer to in relationship to memory and/or storage. Can anyone explain this to me?

Second, I do not see the few pictures and video on the SD card. Are they stored on the phone and if so how do you get them to the SD card?

That's all for now. I don't what to fire out a hundred questions at once.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the reply.
I guess I could have phrased that better. Under SD and phone storage you can see how much space you have left on the card.
Under manage applications you can see what apps are on the SD card and how much space they are taking up.
I can not find how much each picture and video are taking up, if that makes it a little more clear.

Later.

Upvote 0
You will need a file management app in order to be able to explore the contents of your SD card. Super Manager is a good file management app but the one I like is "ES File Explorer". Both of these are available free on the Market.

Once you have a file explorer app loaded, simply open it and you'll see a list of all the folders on your SD card, one of which will be named "DCIM". This stands for Digital Camera IMages, and inside of the DCIM folder you'll find another folder named "Camera". This is the folder where all of the pictures and videos that you have taken with your camera are stored.

There will be a listing of all the pictures with a small thumbnail image of each, along with the date and time it was taken and the size of the file in Kb's. Touching on a file name opens up the viewer for a larger image.

Reactions: AndyOpie150
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones