• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help New Zealanders on XT network..

shooternz

Nov 17, 2010
New Zealanders on XT network..

If you were wondering when or if Telecom XTRA were going to roll out a 2.2 Froyo update..here is the response I got when I asked them.

Dear xxxxx,

Thank you for contacting Telecom.

We don't have a fixed date confirmed for release of an upgrade to Android OS v2.2, as it is subject to all the vagaries of testing the new software. However, I understand that it is possible for users to arrange upgrades themselves, via third party websites. An internet search will reveal the process for doing this.

Out of interest, do you have an Android phone with us currently, or are you looking at making a purchase? If you are looking to buy, you may wish to visit one of our stores, where they can demonstrate the capabilities of the phones.

Kind regards,

xxxxx
Customer Care Online

Here is what I replied

Thank you for replying.

I already have an XT Android phone . Samsung Galaxy purchased from Telecom Store.

The Froyo OS has rolled out officially in most of the world via teleco providers.

Seems to me that Telecom NZ is not even considering an official release from your response.

Dissapointing that TELECOM NZ suggests we hack our own phones without any guarantee it willl be "issue free" from a connection POV.

Hacking smart phones is not for everyone or desireable ...I would believe.

Suggest that TELECOM NZ do not sell Android phones with that commitment to latest technology. Your Android phones are out of date before you even sell them.

I will post up your response on the Android forums to save NZ'ers on the XT network the effort of wondering and the risk of purchasing.

Thank you
xxxxxxxx

IMHO . It aint going to happen so forget about Telecom NZ XTRA and ANDROID.

Response - Dont hold your breath confirmed

Dear xxxx,

Thank you for your reply.

Telecom is very much committed to smartphones that use the Android OS, and as such I can guarantee that an official Telecom release of the Froyo upgrade will be forthcoming. However, in order to release an upgrade that we can support and reasonably guarantee to perform well both on the handsets that we provide and on the XT network, there is a testing and certifying process that we go through. In terms of timeframe, I have recently heard that it is likely to be in the first few months of next year, but even that may change to shorter or longer due to the various factors involved.

As I cannot provide a release date at this time, I was merely suggesting the user-initiated alternative as an option if you did not want to wait. This process is fine to do and does not void any warranties; however, it is not recommended for users who are not reasonably technically competent with such things.

I hope this clarifies the matter for you.

Kind regards,

xxxxx
Customer Care Online

Life as it is in in a technology backwater! These are the guys wishing to bring Broadband to the whole of NZ.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones