• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Newb question expanding phone memory.

greenslam

Lurker
Apr 2, 2014
Hi all,

I have an experia J that I am not happy with.
phone info:
Model st26a
android v: 4.1.2
kernel 3.4.0
build
The big issue is due to the limited phone memory that I have to deal with. (700mbs give or take.)

Will rooting my phone assist me in improving my ability to control what gets installed on the phone memory? Or could I even do anything to repartition the phone memory and add it from the 2gb built in onboard memory?

I find a lot of developers fail to program an option to shift the program to the onboard memory.

No,m rooting adds files, which decreases the amount of free storage. You could repartition the memory if you want to rewrite the phone's firmware. Any partitioning that works will work - the one in the phone isn't holy writ.

But unless you're familiar with system programming, buying a phone with more storage is a much easier solution. Anything with less than 8GB free after the OS and bloat is an old phone today. And that's a small phone. The larger phones have close to 32GB free these days. You can do quite a lot with 8GB. With 2GB you're getting tight if that's the free storage after the OS is loaded, If it's the raw amount of physical storage in the phone, stick with Gingerbread and the few apps you have room for.

Upvote 0
That's exactly the answering I was expecting and fearing at the same time.

I figured there wasn't much I could besides upgrading the phone. Here's to hoping for a nice Christmas or birthday present now.

I definitely do not have the skills to edit the firmware.

This phone is set up oddly.

700 mb phone memory,
2 gb onboard
external mini sd card slot.

I have found out that there is a way of switching the onboard memory to replaced by the external. But that still does not address the phone memory issue. :(

Upvote 0
My personal only issue has been the cache limit. Ostensibly. When your phone complains about memory, do check whether that "phone memory" is actually full?

Myself, I make sure: apps I do not use but that come with the phone? Revert to factory default. Just remove them. They will revert to the firmware version of them.

My phone hasn't given me any problems for a reasonably long time now :).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones