• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Newbie here - Basic questions.!

HI all,

Just got the HTC desire and trying to get to grips with it ATM. a few questions if i may..?

How do you check your battery life?

How do i set up emails, everytime i click the mail icon on the HTC home page it asks me for my email.......i have entered my yahoo details but it won't allow it, I'm guessing it wants my orange e-mail details, which i haven't been given..?

what is the active sync for when you connect your phone to your PC?
It won't allow me to open active sync because 'tlib_log.dll' is missing.....any ideas?

is there a way to unlock your phone without having to tap the power button, i would prefer to tap the screen?

Not had my Desire long, but I can help with a few of your questions.

Battery life check: Menu button > Settings > About Phone > Battery

Email: I set up 6 personal email addresses but I did it manually. All email accounts will have information available from your email provider (BT, Orange, Google, Yahoo, etc). The info is something like this:

> Email address
> Account password (that you use to access your email)
> Account type (usually "POP")
> Incoming mail server name (example: pop.mailserver.net)
> Incoming mail server port (example: 110)
> Outgoing mail server name (example: smtp.mailserver.net)
> Outgoing mail server port (example: 80)

You can usually get these details for your email account from the help pages of your email provider. Open your email client, add a new account, and select "POP/Other" from the list. Then work through the pages, entering the above details as you go.

Not used ActiveSync but I believe it's for syncing your work contacts and emails through a Microsoft Exchange software.

Unlocking the screen can only be done using the power button and screen swipe. It takes a little getting used to but I like it now.

Hope that helps!

Upvote 0
does anyone know if there is an app avaiable that allows you to seperate your existing apps into different folders, e.g. games, applications etc...

If you are talking about in the app tray, not that I know of, however you can organize shortcuts in folders.

For example, on one of the home screens, long press in an empty area and when he window opens up, select folder>new. Then tap on the new folder icon called 'folder' to open it. From there long press on the title bar and rename it to games.

With the games folder still open, open your app tray and long press on a game icon and drop it in the folder. Repeat for all your games.

If you want to take an icon out, long press on the icon (in the folder or on a home screen) and the app tray icon changes to a trash can ... drag it there.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones