• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Newbie question about upgrading to Android 1.6

whchuang

Apr 15, 2010
Dear all, I'm a new user of Samsung Behold II (t939). Couple of quick questions here:

1. I read about "ODIN" and the BH_MAN 1.6 ROM upgrade. Is the most recent release from BH_MAN for the Samsung Behold II firmware r8 (release 8)??

2. How would this release (BH_MAN r8) compare to the official T-Mobile 1.6 release (which happened in July?)

3. I missed the window for the "over-the-air" auto firmware upgrade from T-Mobile, is it possible that I could bring the phone to a T-Mobile retail store and they could do the upgrade for me for free? Or is the official 1.6 firmware upgrade somewhere on the Web that I could grab one? Does the official 1.6 perform faster than the 1.5 cupcake? Also I assume that the BH_MAN release "removed" the TouchWiz interface (done by Samsung), is the official 1.6 firmware release still include the TouchWiz interface?? Performance-wise (and bug-free-wise), which 1.6 firmware (BH_MAN r8 and official T-Mobile release) is better?

4. Does both ROM/firmware releases removed all the unnecessary applications, such as "WheresWaldo", "Cube (the TouchWiz?)", "Amazon MP3" and the subscription based GPS software?

5. Any "known" issues or bugs with these two 1.6 firmware releases (BH_MAN r8 and official T-Mobile release) ?

Sorry about so many questions. I have tried to search in this forum for all the answers, but couldn't find all the answers in one thread (especially for a newbie like me). Thanks again!

Dear all, I'm a new user of Samsung Behold II (t939). Couple of quick questions here:

1. I read about "ODIN" and the BH_MAN 1.6 ROM upgrade. Is the most recent release from BH_MAN for the Samsung Behold II firmware r8 (release 8)??

2. How would this release (BH_MAN r8) compare to the official T-Mobile 1.6 release (which happened in July?)

3. I missed the window for the "over-the-air" auto firmware upgrade from T-Mobile, is it possible that I could bring the phone to a T-Mobile retail store and they could do the upgrade for me for free? Or is the official 1.6 firmware upgrade somewhere on the Web that I could grab one? Does the official 1.6 perform faster than the 1.5 cupcake? Also I assume that the BH_MAN release "removed" the TouchWiz interface (done by Samsung), is the official 1.6 firmware release still include the TouchWiz interface?? Performance-wise (and bug-free-wise), which 1.6 firmware (BH_MAN r8 and official T-Mobile release) is better?

4. Does both ROM/firmware releases removed all the unnecessary applications, such as "WheresWaldo", "Cube (the TouchWiz?)", "Amazon MP3" and the subscription based GPS software?

5. Any "known" issues or bugs with these two 1.6 firmware releases (BH_MAN r8 and official T-Mobile release) ?

Sorry about so many questions. I have tried to search in this forum for all the answers, but couldn't find all the answers in one thread (especially for a newbie like me). Thanks again!

There are basically 2 BH_MAN rom ports. One based on the Samsung Galaxy(not S) hardware and the other is from an unofficial Behold II pre-release.

The latest Galaxy 1.6 rom is r12
The latest Behold2 1.6 is named take5

Both of these have the bloatware removed. Both have root and apps2sd. Apps2SD would be one advantage over the official T-Mobile 1.6 release.

Galaxy Roms do not have vibrate and lack the Behold Camera and Music apps. However, Galaxy roms have better performance than the Behold II roms.

If you're interested in finding out more about BH_MAN's roms I would suggest going to his forum on androidspin.com. Navigate to Forums-Developers Forums-Eugene373 and look for the Samsung Behold II stuff there. That's where you'll find the latest downloads and info.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones