• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus 4 w/ 2 year contract and $50 plan?

Is there any way to get this bloody phone on a two year contract with the $50 plan (value pack) instead of the $60 dollar classic pack?
Do you currently have that particular 2 year contract plan?
if you do just pop the sim out of your current phone and put it in the nexus 4.
If you dont have a micro sim you can cut yours down or ask t mobile for a microsim and then tell them to put that sim on your plan instead of the other one.
If you do not have a contract plan then no, they did away with contract plans.

They do have $50 dollar plans but data is crap.

Upvote 0
Thanks. Sadly, my budget is, how you say, "limited" to say the least. The $50 dollar plan is about as high as I can go. The only other real option is metropcs, and I'm not even sure if their data is better, or if the nexus even works on it. I'm currently on virgin mobile so ANYTHING is an upgrade, lol. avg DL speed is generally 30 kbps.

Upvote 0
It doesn't help you with a subsidized phone, but if you're looking at the $50 T-Mobile plan you might consider Solavei. It's $49 for unlimited talk/text/data unthrottled for 4GB. They also have a referral program which can effectively lower this rate. I switched in January and have been very happy.

Upvote 0
Thanks. Sadly, my budget is, how you say, "limited" to say the least. The $50 dollar plan is about as high as I can go. The only other real option is metropcs, and I'm not even sure if their data is better, or if the nexus even works on it. I'm currently on virgin mobile so ANYTHING is an upgrade, lol. avg DL speed is generally 30 kbps.
Ok, that makes sense, I know exactly what you mean. The $50 plan is fine its drawback is only the first 500mb's of data are at full speed, after that its unlimited but at about 200kbs or 2G speeds. that is for one month of course every month that data is reset.

If you dont talk much they have a $30 100 min plan with unlimited text and web, the first 5gbs at full speeds after 5gbs its throttled to 2G speeds. Thats what im on, if 100 mins is not enough there are VOIP Solutions that people have tried. or just keep money in the account and pay 10 cents per min after the 100 mins. If you can keep it under 300 total mins per month it will cost about $50
Metropcs plans now have the capped LTE speeds as well except for the more expensive ones. And metropcs is a cdma(for now) phone like virgin mobile, so the nexus 4 will not work with them, though if the merger with t mobile goes through it should when they get things sorted.

Upvote 0
Ok, that makes sense, I know exactly what you mean. The $50 plan is fine its drawback is only the first 500mb's of data are at full speed, after that its unlimited but at about 200kbs or 2G speeds. that is for one month of course every month that data is reset.

If you dont talk much they have a $30 100 min plan with unlimited text and web, the first 5gbs at full speeds after 5gbs its throttled to 2G speeds. Thats what im on, if 100 mins is not enough there are VOIP Solutions that people have tried. or just keep money in the account and pay 10 cents per min after the 100 mins. If you can keep it under 300 total mins per month it will cost about $50
Metropcs plans now have the capped LTE speeds as well except for the more expensive ones. And metropcs is a cdma(for now) phone like virgin mobile, so the nexus 4 will not work with them, though if the merger with t mobile goes through it should when they get things sorted.

Yea, I've been looking at the 100 minute plan, but I would be signing up on a 2-person family plan, and the other person wouldn't want the same plan. I've been looking into google voice as an option for the minutes, but I'm not sure if it's a viable option >.<

It doesn't help you with a subsidized phone, but if you're looking at the $50 T-Mobile plan you might consider Solavei. It's $49 for unlimited talk/text/data unthrottled for 4GB. They also have a referral program which can effectively lower this rate. I switched in January and have been very happy.

What are the 4g speeds over at solavei? And do they have a discount when you have a 2 person family plan? Because at t-mobile, I can get the 2 plans for 80 bucks together.

Upvote 0
Another option for me would be to go to metropcs and get their 2.5 gb data plan for $50. However, would I be right in assuming that metropcs has slower speeds than tmobile?

Edit: After looking through the MetroPCS thread and looking at the merger threads, I am currently leaning towards buying the nexus 4 off of google play, getting the $50 dollar plan with t-mobile, and hoping that I don't use too much data :/ currently, on my motorola triumph on virgin mobile, I have used abot 20 mb in 4 days. however, I would expect this to go up with a network that actually works. I don't see how I could get the $30 dollar plan on a family plan.

This stuff is seriously frustrating, lol.... >.>

Upvote 0
Yea, I've been looking at the 100 minute plan, but I would be signing up on a 2-person family plan, and the other person wouldn't want the same plan. I've been looking into google voice as an option for the minutes, but I'm not sure if it's a viable option >.<

What are the 4g speeds over at solavei? And do they have a discount when you have a 2 person family plan? Because at t-mobile, I can get the 2 plans for 80 bucks together.

I went through all this with my husband in January. One thing to keep in mind is you don't both have to be on the same carrier. We seriously considered doing one Solavei line and one $30 T-Mobile line (we ended up with 2 Solavei lines.) We tried GrooveIP/Google Voice solutions. On WiFi it was quite good. On mobile data it was too frustrating for us to use. YMMV. We did get an obi100 VoIP bridge to use at home with our GV number and that's been great - it's like having a home phone again.

The 4g speeds are going to be the same as what you'd get from T-Mobile directly. I usually see between 6-9 Mbps download where I'm located. Solavei doesn't do a family discount, but they have their referral program which we decided to gamble with. For every three people who sign up through your link and stay customers they pay back $20/month. I started by signing up my husband and only needed 2 more to get $20 back each month. It's been a good gamble for us.

Upvote 0
I went through all this with my husband in January. One thing to keep in mind is you don't both have to be on the same carrier. We seriously considered doing one Solavei line and one $30 T-Mobile line (we ended up with 2 Solavei lines.) We tried GrooveIP/Google Voice solutions. On WiFi it was quite good. On mobile data it was too frustrating for us to use. YMMV. We did get an obi100 VoIP bridge to use at home with our GV number and that's been great - it's like having a home phone again.

The 4g speeds are going to be the same as what you'd get from T-Mobile directly. I usually see between 6-9 Mbps download where I'm located. Solavei doesn't do a family discount, but they have their referral program which we decided to gamble with. For every three people who sign up through your link and stay customers they pay back $20/month. I started by signing up my husband and only needed 2 more to get $20 back each month. It's been a good gamble for us.

The problem I run into with options like this is that I am only 17. My dad is currently with t-mobile, and I am with virgin mobile. He wants to get a smartphone, and I want to switch carriers. he said that internet isn't a big deal with him. What we are trying to do is sign up on a family plan, and each pay half of the bill.

Upvote 0
Can you or your dad pass the credit check and do post paid instead of prepaid?

Cell Phone Plans | Cheap Cell Phone Plans & Unlimited Data | T-Mobile

Not sure if this works on prepaid, but first phone $50 second $30. if one doesnt use much data that may just be your best option.
it looks like you could put your dad on the $50 first line with 500mbs of 4g data add your $30 line + $10 for an additional 2gbs of data and pay about $90 per month total.

Upvote 0
Can you or your dad pass the credit check and do post paid instead of prepaid?

Cell Phone Plans | Cheap Cell Phone Plans & Unlimited Data | T-Mobile

Not sure if this works on prepaid, but first phone $50 second $30. if one doesnt use much data that may just be your best option.
it looks like you could put your dad on the $50 first line with 500mbs of 4g data add your $30 line + $10 for an additional 2gbs of data and pay about $90 per month total.

Ah, I see. I wasn't aware that you could choose seperate data plans. That helps, then. I guess this is probably the route I'll go down. Are there any surcharges/hidden fees?

Upvote 0
Ah, I see. I wasn't aware that you could choose seperate data plans. That helps, then. I guess this is probably the route I'll go down. Are there any surcharges/hidden fees?
I dont know, I use the prepaid side, have not had a post paid plan since att bought my local company in 2009.

I would assume the normal taxes and regulatory fee's.

Upvote 0

My understanding is that on the postpaid side of T-Mobile there will be standard taxes/fees.

Can anyone confirm that you can choose different data options for different lines with the new T-Mobile family setup? It seemed ambiguous on their site, and when I played around like I was setting up service it forced me to make all the lines on the family plan the same. (I have a brother in a similar situation - he wants unlimited data, but his wife wants voice only.)

Upvote 0
My understanding is that on the postpaid side of T-Mobile there will be standard taxes/fees.

Can anyone confirm that you can choose different data options for different lines with the new T-Mobile family setup? It seemed ambiguous on their site, and when I played around like I was setting up service it forced me to make all the lines on the family plan the same. (I have a brother in a similar situation - he wants unlimited data, but his wife wants voice only.)

once you get past selecting your phone on the site, you can individually allote the amount of data, just checked.

Reactions: runtmms
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones