• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Nexus 4 wont boot to bootloader/recovery after bootloop even with h/w button combos! Please Help!

S

sriksm

Hi

Nexus 4 wont boot to bootloader/recovery after bootloop even with h/w button combos. Heres what happened:

It was a rooted and unlocked phone running 4.4.4. It couldnt update via OTA. So i thought of unrooting + flashing the stock but with the latest lmy48m using WUG's Nexus Root toolkit. After installation it went on to boot (4 dots flying) . It went on for 10 minutes and thought that it went to bootloop again( ive tried similar things on it before and waited for a night etc. ) . So i tried the hardware button combination (power off then Vol - & Power button combo for bootloader mode and Vol + & - & Power) to go to bootloader/recovery mode but all it does is get to the Google boot screen and go to the bootloop mode. . Then i left it to boot again overnight and its still the same.. I tried a lot of times to get to the bootloader mode and recovery mode with no hope. My pc doesnt recognise in fastboot or adb since then.. Just as MTP device in boot or android device when charging. Searched through a lot of forums but nothing worked.. Tried to remove the back cover and then pressing the button combos - still the same.. What to do next?

Please Help!

Thanks
Sriksm

Hey Sriksm,

Don't know if this will help, but my Nexus 7 (2012) won't properly go into bootloader (fastboot) mode while connected with a USB cable. So if you've got it connected when using the button combinations, try doing it while unplugged.

Also, if you want, I can move this thread over to the Nexus 4 area for you so others that have this device can chime-in and give you suggestions--let us know.

Cheers!

Reactions: Lordvincent 90
Upvote 0
Hey Sriksm,

Don't know if this will help, but my Nexus 7 (2012) won't properly go into bootloader (fastboot) mode while connected with a USB cable. So if you've got it connected when using the button combinations, try doing it while unplugged.

Also, if you want, I can move this thread over to the Nexus 4 area for you so others that have this device can chime-in and give you suggestions--let us know.

Cheers!
I tried that as well.. still the same..

yeah sure you can move it

Thanks..

Upvote 0
So it doesn't boot at all now? Just hangs on the swirling dots?

My guess is you interrupted the process when you thought it was hung up after 10 minutes. While 10 minutes feels like forever, it can take that long on first boot with 5.x.

So, here's what I'd try. First, unplug the phone from everything. Press and hold the power button until you see the Google splash screen. Then release, wait a few seconds and then press and hold the power button until the phone shuts off. Let it sit for a minute to make sure it's off and not going to try and boot again.

Now, press an hold the volume down key first and then press and hold the power button until the phone comes on and then keep holding them until you see the fastboot menu. If you don't i suspect you have a bad volume rocker.

While I have used WUG's in the past, I've recently decided to simply flash my Nexii directly with fastboot. If you can get into fastboot mode, then I'd give that a try with the factory firmware. And don't forget to check that MD5 checksum on the download. I know I've skipped over that in the past and it's playing with fire, if you have a corrupted download.

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
So it doesn't boot at all now? Just hangs on the swirling dots?

My guess is you interrupted the process when you thought it was hung up after 10 minutes. While 10 minutes feels like forever, it can take that long on first boot with 5.x.

So, here's what I'd try. First, unplug the phone from everything. Press and hold the power button until you see the Google splash screen. Then release, wait a few seconds and then press and hold the power button until the phone shuts off. Let it sit for a minute to make sure it's off and not going to try and boot again.

Now, press an hold the volume down key first and then press and hold the power button until the phone comes on and then keep holding them until you see the fastboot menu. If you don't i suspect you have a bad volume rocker.

While I have used WUG's in the past, I've recently decided to simply flash my Nexii directly with fastboot. If you can get into fastboot mode, then I'd give that a try with the factory firmware. And don't forget to check that MD5 checksum on the download. I know I've skipped over that in the past and it's playing with fire, if you have a corrupted download.

yep hangs on the swirling dots. let me try that and get back to you..

Thanks

Upvote 0
I'm running out of ideas here. :(

A few other things that *might* be happening are dirty contacts on the vol. down button and/or a short in the USB port (making the device think it's plugged in when it's not). You said you removed the back? Can you make sure there isn't any dirt or misaligned parts at the rocker switch?

You've mentioned a bootloop, but if I hear you correctly, it doesn't continually reboot but gets stuck on the swirling dots and just stay there. After 15 minutes or so, does the phone get hot?

Upvote 0
Okay, well at least that tells me that it is draining power. There is one more thing you can try, but just so you know, each suggestion has a much smaller chance of working. Let the phone boot and leave it swirling, unplugged until the battery completely drains. If it's getting warm, then that should happen in less than 6 hours. Once it is off, let it sit for a few more hours before charging. This is in case something in active memory is not getting flushed and preventing the phone from completing the boot process. For this to work, you really do need to let the battery drain beyond the threshold of maintaining active memory, which is pretty low. Alternately, if you've got the phone open already, you could disconnect the battery (is it soldered in the Nexus 4? I've never opened mine.) and let it sit disconnected for a few hours.

If that fails, i have to go back to an earlier analysis that the volume down button is not working (or the equally problematic, that the bootloader firmware is corrupt.)

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Upvote 0
Okay, well at least that tells me that it is draining power. There is one more thing you can try, but just so you know, each suggestion has a much smaller chance of working. Let the phone boot and leave it swirling, unplugged until the battery completely drains. If it's getting warm, then that should happen in less than 6 hours. Once it is off, let it sit for a few more hours before charging. This is in case something in active memory is not getting flushed and preventing the phone from completing the boot process. For this to work, you really do need to let the battery drain beyond the threshold of maintaining active memory, which is pretty low. Alternately, if you've got the phone open already, you could disconnect the battery (is it soldered in the Nexus 4? I've never opened mine.) and let it sit disconnected for a few hours.

If that fails, i have to go back to an earlier analysis that the volume down button is not working (or the equally problematic, that the bootloader firmware is corrupt.)
Ok.. I shall try that and tell you.. Thanks for your help man! :D ..
No its not soldered.. attached via 2 screws

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones