Nexus 7 2 - Freezing/RebootingSupport

1. ToyotaTacoma

ToyotaTacoma Well-Known Member

So, I have had my Nexus 7 2 for about 4 days. I don't use it a ton < 1 hour a day. So far it has rebooted 7-8 times. It will freeze, then wait 5-6 seconds and reboot on its own. It is random and not specific to one app or activity. My wife has the original Nexus 7 and I've only see this happen 3-4 times in the last 5-6 months we've owned it. Anyone else having this issue? Or do I have a bad device?

Advertisement
  2. trophynuts

trophynuts Well-Known Member

try doing a factory reset. If it continues i'd go swap it for a new one.
  3. ToyotaTacoma

Hi trophy- you have helped me in the past. I appreciate your suggestion, do you have a Nexus 7 2? I am basically trying to gather info to see if it a device issue, or my device issue...
  4. marc12868

marc12868 Well-Known Member

Mine hasn't restarted at all and I've had it on for the last few days so it sounds to me like it is just your device :(
  5. trophynuts

Hello bud. No i don't...yet..I'm still undecided to be honest with you. I need to see more user feedback before getting one. I want to make sure the new one doesn't suffer from some of the same issues as the first one did.

So. I would probably recommend still doing a factory reset no matter what. At least that way you can rule that out. Hopefully it's just a minor hiccup.
  6. ToyotaTacoma

I figured I better update. 3 days no rebooting or freezing. I wonder if it had to do with the MSN app that clearly didn't like 4.3. I took it off 3 days ago and zero reboots since. Just a theory.
  7. hilker09

hilker09 Well-Known Member

Could be. I've had mine for a week and no reboots.
  8. trophynuts

very well could be. A lot of apps are not too fast to update to the newest version of Android. With it only being out for about a week i've seen several reports of app issues with 4.3. You can thank the fragmentation of Android for that. Glad you have control of it now though.
  9. GeoUSA

GeoUSA Well-Known Member

My new Nexus 7 has rebooted on its own about four times. It also appears to be with different apps -- not one in particular. If this continues I will probably exchange it. On a positive not it does reboot very quickly... :p
  10. carbondalebaby

carbondalebaby New Member

was listening to music on my nexus (brand new just got it on saterday) and it rebooted on its own and a message came up with the android robot saying no command i held the power button down and rebooted it and its been fine so far strange never had that problem before and i own 2 kindle fire tablets and have never had that issue
  11. ToyotaTacoma

I did a factory reset as it started rebooting again. The rebooting was still happening after the reset. I took it back to Best Buy for an exchange. So far so good on the new nexus.
  12. drabbit

drabbit New Member

I had my nexus for 3 days. The first day it rebooted 10 times when using different apps. I then set location access off. No problem after this.

Then I install the system update, turn location access back on. No problem since.
  13. drabbit

drabbit New Member

Folks, I found that Google has turned off GPS location access in the system update. I tried using Google map and my location cannot be shown. I have to use network location to get my location.

This means they know there is a bug and fudged a fix.
  14. GeoUSA

GeoUSA Well-Known Member

My 2nd gen Nexus 7 rebooted several times today. Once in Google Maps and a couple of timed while reading an eBook. Ugh -- I really hate to think about exchanging after getting it set up. I'll try the location setting, but I just think mine is defective.
  15. tedpc01

tedpc01 Well-Known Member

The only thing about researching the 2013 Nexus 7 here is all you will see is problems, while this is a small minority of the new Nexus' out there. Keep that in mind, if you will.

Here's something to think about:

Review: The new Nexus 7 is the best 7-inch tablet that money can buy

Review: The new Nexus 7 is the best 7-inch tablet that money can buy | TechHive

The 2013 Nexus 7 is no longer a budget tablet, but a premium 7 inch tablet.

Take care!
  16. tedpc01

tedpc01 Well-Known Member

That's odd, it didn't for me.
  17. GeoUSA

GeoUSA Well-Known Member

I think you are onto something. Thanks to both members who shared about turning off location/GPS. Since turning off GPS my 2nd gen Nexus 7 has not crashed and rebooted.
  18. timothycward

timothycward New Member

I have had very frequent freezing and apps shutting down (back to mainpage) for the last few days. I tried system reboot and turning off the location tracker in system settings, but still have these problems. Any advice? I got this last December. These problems have been there, to the point where I wouldn't get this again, but never this frequent.
  19. shiyan_andr

shiyan_andr New Member

Hi,
    I have a same kind of problem. My nexus 7 freezes and then reboots in YouTube and camera apps. Once it freezed I can see green lines on the screen and then it reboots. And also same thing happens when I play videos in web sites. When I take a Skype call other party can't see me, that's new one I could notice.
  20. ToyotaTacoma

I figured I better update... In the 3 weeks since I returned my original Nexus, the new one has not rebooted one time. Super happy with it.
  21. hilker09

hilker09 Well-Known Member

An update to my original post. I swapped my 32gb for a 16gb one, and have been having rebooting problems on this one, so today I decided to do a reset. It's in the process of reinstalling all my apps. (love, love, LOVE this feature) but I noticed that there's a system update downloaded and ready to be installed. 2 questions:

1) I wonder if this update is the latest one to roll out? I had already run an update when I first got the replacement, so I think that's what this must be.

2) Should I pause the download of all my apps to install said update?
  22. GeoUSA

GeoUSA Well-Known Member

There was a recent, 2nd system update for Android 4.3. Update: I did have to turn off all location services [not just GPS]. My Nexus 7 has not rebooted on its own since then. Since the most recent update, maybe I should try location services again...