• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Nexus ICS to GS2

DiGwEeD

Lurker
Mar 20, 2012
Hi there, folks. So, basically, I want to manually install the Nexus version of ICS (4.0.3) on my Galaxy S2, because the ICS version of GS2 still has the stock theme which sucks, compared to Nexus. Is it possible? Can anybody give me some download links and some tutorials? Thanks!

Thanks for you reply, but I didn't quite understand what you just said (I'm a newbie). Are you saying that there will be mods to make my GS2 look exactly like Nexus? If so, should I wait for the official ICS update for my phone and then just use Cyanogen Mod to apply the theme? How does this work exactly?

Upvote 0
Are you saying that there will be mods to make my GS2 look exactly like Nexus?

Not mods, complete firmware (ROMs). The Galaxy Nexus runs 'vanilla' Android 4.0.x, and third-party ROMs will bring that to the GS2.

The other easier option is to update the GS2 to ICS when available and then replace the TWLauncher with something more vanilla-like.

Reactions: matttye and DiGwEeD
Upvote 0
Can't be done due to different hardware, I'm afraid.

Samsung released the 4.0.x source code yesterday though, so stable and fully-featured AOSP and CM builds should just be around the corner and will grant your wish. :)

Any idea how long it usually takes rom devs to put out stable aosp roms following a source code release? I appreciate its not an exact science.

When I got my htc desire there were already tons of aosp roms out so this is new to me :p

Cheers

Upvote 0
Any idea how long it usually takes rom devs to put out stable aosp roms following a source code release? I appreciate its not an exact science.

No it's not, and devs hate giving (or being asked for) ETAs. :D However the AOSP code has been available for a few months so most of the work is done and it's just a matter of tidying up loose ends with regard to hardware issues afaik. I wouldn't be surprised to see updated releases within days.

Seems like the best option is to wait for a good ROM for GS2

Keep an eye on the All Things Root sub-forum - that's where news will break.

Reactions: DiGwEeD
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones