• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help NFC (Near Field Communication) Discussion

Wonder if there's a way to map these things to wifi alarm systems, x10'S, etc? Example - i don't have a controller for the garage, my wife does. So i have to manually open it with the keypad controller i placed outside. When we upgrade our alarm system, we're getting the "wifi's" version, which will have the app to turn off/on the system, open the garage, and operate some x10 controller modules as well. So the technology to integrate the cell with home automation/security is there. I have a friend that currently uses x10's in coordination with GPS location to automatically turn on certain lights when he approaches x miles to the house after a certain time. Any way these would work in that type of scenario? Say swipe the tag hidden in the mailbox to open garage and turn off alarm, etc?

Upvote 0
Wonder if there's a way to map these things to wifi alarm systems, x10'S, etc? Example - i don't have a controller for the garage, my wife does. So i have to manually open it with the keypad controller i placed outside. When we upgrade our alarm system, we're getting the "wifi's" version, which will have the app to turn off/on the system, open the garage, and operate some x10 controller modules as well. So the technology to integrate the cell with home automation/security is there. I have a friend that currently uses x10's in coordination with GPS location to automatically turn on certain lights when he approaches x miles to the house after a certain time. Any way these would work in that type of scenario? Say swipe the tag hidden in the mailbox to open garage and turn off alarm, etc?

I don't see why not, however thats a lot of work, when you could do what your friend did with a geo-location instead via tasker. Say when your phone detects your house wi-fi, (ie you are withing however many feet), it initiates the tasks you want...

Reactions: takirb
Upvote 0
Ok so we wanted to test out our tags tonight. We got NFC launcher added to toggle wifi and bluetooth turn up ringer and notification volumes turn up brightness and launch beat the traffic all in one tag. And at 1st I think everything worked and he had Beat The traffic at the top of his list and mine was at the bottom. He wanted Beat The Traffic to load last and was trying to put it ob the bottom on his. We were changing things around and we named this tag Car and we changed things around 2 or 3 times and added and deleted stuff and scanned the tag again but we never erased the tag before we did what we were doing. Then stuff quit working so we thought oh how do you format then we saw erase so we erased and started over but it wouldn't launch my app anymore and brightness wasn't working for either of us anymore. So did we mess up the tags by not erasing in the beginning? Should we start over with a brand new tag?

I guess I'll mess with it more tomorrow but I wanted it to be like when in the car it did this and when I exited the car it did something totally different like turned volumes off turned brightness back down. I am guessing that is the New Switch which I'll mess with tomorrow. We just went to New Task and picked toggle on some. We didn't try Switch. But then we had been erasing tags and starting over but we weren't erasing in the beginning so he's thinking maybe we messed up our tag. When we figured it out deleted all actions but brightness thinking maybe we have too much stuff for it to do but just it alone it still wasn't turning up brightness.

And at one point every time he tried to exit beat The Traffic and every time he hit exit it would launch his list of stuff again and cycle through it. I guess tomorrow when I'm awake I'll start over with a new tag and make sure not to edit and add and delete anything without erasing the tag 1st which we weren't doing in the beginning.

So I am hoping we just messed up a tag and that the NFC Launcher app ends up working with our tags from tags for droid. Guess I'll figure it out tomorrow. But it's cool how you just swipe it. We were just testing and playing around and I wanted to stick this tag in my car tomorrow. Hopefully I'll get it set right. We even rebooted our phones and at one point everything worked on mone but then the brightness quit working. I'll try more in the am I am too sleepy now.

Upvote 0
Ok so we wanted to test out our tags tonight. We got NFC launcher added to toggle wifi and bluetooth turn up ringer and notification volumes turn up brightness and launch beat the traffic all in one tag and at 1st I think everything worked and he had Beat The traffic at the top of his list and mine was at the bottom and we were changing things around and we named this tag Car for our car and we changed things around 2 or 3 times and added and deleted stuff and scanned the tag again but we never erased the tag and stuff quit working so we thought oh how do you format then we saw erase so we erased and started over but it wouldn't launch my app anymore and brightness wasn't working for either of us anymore. So did we mess up the tags by not erasing in the beginning? Should we start over with a brand new tag?

I guess I'll mess with it more tomorrow but I wanted it to be like when in the car it did this and when I exited the car it did something totally different like turned volumes off turned brightness back down I am guessing that is the New Switch which I'll mess with tomorrow but we've been erasing tags and starting over but we weren't erasing in the beginning so he's thinking maybe we messed up our tag. Then we deleted all actions but brightness and it still wasn't turning up brightness. And at one point every time he tried to exit beat The Traffic it would launch his list of stuff again. I guess tomorrow when I'm awake I'll start over with a new tag and make sure not to edit or add and delete anything without erasing the tag 1st which we weren't doing in the beginning. So I am hoping we just messed up a tag and that the NFC Launcher app ends up working with our tags from tags for droid. Guess I'll figure it out tomorrow. But it's cool how you just swipe it. We were just testing and playing around and I wanted to stick this tag in my car tomorrow. Hopefully I'll get it set right. We even rebooted our phones and at one point my worked but then the brightness quit working. I'll try more in the am I am too sleepy now.

Which tags did you buy?

Upvote 0
I just got an email from the folks behind NFC Task Launcher saying the app is now free. Not sure if this is a limited time deal, but it's worth checking out.

I guess it would be a good idea even if i haven't purchased any tags to take advantage of the app being free and get it now... Thanks for the heads up! :thumbup:

Upvote 0
I just got an email from the folks behind NFC Task Launcher saying the app is now free. Not sure if this is a limited time deal, but it's worth checking out.

I guess my email conversations with the dev paid off! :cool:

..Too bad I already bought it for several devices but it will pay off moving forward and I don't mind helping out a dev who's making useful apps.

Upvote 0
I already bought it too but it's been working good for me. I still have more tags to make. I keep one in my car and I put one at work but I peeled it off and actually stuck in on something and I don't like where it is. I wanted to have 2 on one but it wasn't doing everything I wanted it to do. I guess the tags I bought don't have enough memory? So do they make ones with more memory? I have 3 tags left and need to make two more for home one for when I walk in the door and one for by my bed. My Seidio home dock should be here Monday so I may stick one on the back of it.

Upvote 0
I guess my email conversations with the dev paid off! :cool:

..Too bad I already bought it for several devices but it will pay off moving forward and I don't mind helping out a dev who's making useful apps.

Might have been that email. I agree about supporting the devs.

I already bought it too but it's been working good for me. I still have more tags to make. I keep one in my car and I put one at work but I peeled it off and actually stuck in on something and I don't like where it is. I wanted to have 2 on one but it wasn't doing everything I wanted it to do. I guess the tags I bought don't have enough memory? So do they make ones with more memory? I have 3 tags left and need to make two more for home one for when I walk in the door and one for by my bed. My Seidio home dock should be here Monday so I may stick one on the back of it.

If you buy from tagstand, the maker of the app, they list how much memory is on each tag.

Upvote 0
Does anyone have a list of the custom app commands? I would like to tell the music player to Stop (not start or stop) when I touch it to my Home tag. Also I could see a lot of uses for these cusom commands in specific apps.

Thanks

I emailed the developer about this and their answer was a bit beyond me. I'd suggest asking them. They are quick and kind.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones