• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Nice Phone, Some Search Issues

So, the Samsung Acclaim is the first smart phone I've owned due to the fact that US Cellular is a small company and can't get the exclusives larger phone companies can, but now that they finally have an Android phone I picked it up and for the most part greatly enjoy it. I've played around with Android phones before and I'm finally glad to own one, on the other hand there is one particular issue that is nagging me. The search button for the acclaim is either hyper sensitive or search is broken. The phone will go into search mode as it sees fit, essentially for no reason. At first I figured that it was my fault for accidentally hitting the button but holding the phone in an open palm the search feature will still pop up arbitrarily which is quite annoying when trying to actually do something, for example in the middle of adding a new contact I don't particularly want to start a search for anything. It's my only real gripe about the phone about which I enjoy everything else, which leads me to this;

Has anyone else had these particular issues, and if so is there a way to resolve them?

Any help would be greatly appreciated since I am quite new to android, thanks.

i have noticed that the default search menu sometimes displays randomly... but i have only noticed it a couple times when taking my phone out of my pocket so i wouldnt be surprised if it was me accidentally hitting the search button or the touch screen before putting it away...

i have noticed that if i let the screen got to sleep before i put it away that these random search launches stop happening... no biggy

Upvote 0
Oh my gosh! It IS a biggy! My search feature has gone berserk! :eek:
It launches randomly---sometimes over and over again---when I am in the middle of trying to do something.
I've actually had the home screen showing, laid the phone on the table, and a few seconds later that search screen opens. :thinking:
HATE that and have looked for a way to make it stop... no such luck.
I love Google, but I want it when I want!

This is my first smart phone, too, so I'm still learning.
But that search thing MUST stop! :mad:

Upvote 0
I've experienced this a few times, allways thought I'd brushed that part of the phone. Not sure if it is software-related or a hardware issue, although seeing how people are seeing this to different degrees, I'd blame hardware. YMMV. You could try a Factory Data Reset, located in the Settings Menu under Privacy. If it's software, that might correct it.

Upvote 0
This is a major issue for me as well. I am so sick and tired of "search" just opening up whenever it feels like it and sometimes it will continuously reopen even after I just closed it. I went to the store Monday and explained the issue and the sales representative didn't have a clue as to what I was talking about and how to fix it. She said if it kept doing it I could come back and they would talk to the technicians about it. I am glad that I am not the only person experiencing this issue. This is not my first smartphone; I have owned several over the course of 5 years and they have always been BlackBerrys. I have tried windows based phones before and I have always resorted back to bb because of technical glitches such as this that do not stop and make it hard to conduct the tasks you actually want to do.

Upvote 0
Has anyone here experiencing this problem done a Factory Reset (Menu > Settings > Privacy) on their phone? I'd be interested in hearing if that helped at all. I don't think this is an Android problem, but rather an Acclaim issue.

As for BlackBerry, a recent update to App World removed the icon from the Menu, and the only way to get it back was to uninstall the app. Of course, when you would then click on the icon, it wanted to install App World which would lead to the icon's disappearance. That was still affecting my 9630 as I switched over to the Acclaim. It was particularly frustrating, as I could no longer use App World to install applications. This is a known issue (KB22944) with the 1.0.0.35 release of App World.

I've yet to meet the phone that was completely bug free, and I used to be a bug tester at Motorola!

Upvote 0
I still have the issue, but its intermittent which is annoying because that means its hard to replicate for people to show them the problem. I am still within my 30 day trial period so I have been thinking about switching o the desire when it comes out, but i really like the physical keyboard of the acclaim, so i decided to ask samsung if they had a fix for the problem, and i got this email in return;

Thank you for your inquiry and we would recommend that you perform a reset on your phone the steps of which are below:
Warning: The reset action illustrated in the steps below will erase all third-party content from the phone, including free and paid-for Market applications and their respective settings. The device will return to its facory "out-of-the-box" condition and desired third-party applications will need to be downloaded again from the Android Market.

1. Tap the Applications Tab and then tap Settings
  2. Privacy
  3. Tap Factory Data Reset > Reset Phone
If this is not going to solve your issue, please call Samsung Customer Support by phone at our toll free number 1-888-987-4357, between the hours of 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, and 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Saturday, Central Standard Time for further assistance.
Thank you for your continued interest in Samsung products.
Sincerely,
Technical Support

I somehow doubt that will fix the problem but i think im going to try it anyway. If I can clear this search problem im sticking to this phone, if not i think ill move over to the desire.

Upvote 0
Got my new Acclaim end of July and immediately noticed the search engine coming up while i was trying to do something else on the phone. This is my first smart phone too so I thought I was accidentally hitting the button. Took it in to US Cellular & the phone went to search on its own once for them. They weren't sure why it was doing it & hadn't heard of any problems from anyone else so they gave me a new phone. Got home & noticed new phone doing the same thing. Took it back up to the store. They're still stumped, called their techs & did a factory reset & changed settings so I would be unable to use search during text messaging. Problem is, that didn't fix anything & can still use search while in messaging. Can't seem to get phone to spase out while I'm at store so decided to video tape it going crazy on its own with nobody touching it. Recorded it going to search over & over again for over 3 mins before I decided to turn it off. Soooo frustrating! I love this phone but when you can't answer a call because it wants you to "search" constantly is very annoying! Thank goodness I'm still in my 30 day trial. Wish they would just fix the issue.

Upvote 0
well, this doesn't bode well... i got my acclaim sunday, and am having the same problem with the search feature just randomly pop up. it's not as bad as some of you are describing but it is very irritating. i liked this phone more than the desire, as it is $120 cheaper... but i can only imagine this problem progressing to something that will really get on my nerves. :(

Upvote 0
i have noticed mine goes super crazy in areas of low signal. i have class in a big building that gets low (maybe one bar if im lucky) to no signal and there are times that i have to hit the back button a million and a half times to just do something as simple as check my calendar because the search goes crazy. and thats even after a factory reset. not sure if that helps anyone but thats my input

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones