• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

No After Market Batteries available yet!

Found this web site called wirelessground.com that has the Motorola Photon extended battery, A 3500mAh that sales for $59.95 is this a good buy.

Seidio already has an extended battery, which has been the most reliable. I completely forgot about this thread.

Mods should move all the battery posts in here. More pertinent, than the accessories thread.

Upvote 0
http://www.amazon.com/AceSoft-1860mAh-Replacement-Motorola-Accessories/dp/B005N71XMY/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1319641045&sr=8-15

Beware! I bought these batteries/charger which do work with the Photon but the quoted capacity is nowhere near correct. After plenty of charging cycles, I'm still only getting 50-60% of the stock battery life. Still way better than my EVO was:) . Charger does also charge the stock battery fine.

I feel like I got ripped off for the price and now there seem to be alternatives (even if the battery capacity is still lower than the claimed rating) which are much cheaper. Would have been really impressed if the claimed 1860mAh was correct.

In the end having 2 backup batteries each with half the stock life is more than enough insurance never to run into a problem.

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0
Anybody found any decent batteries that work well with this phone yet? I just got this one in the mail yesterday. I haven't been able to test how long the batteries last, but I'm not sure I plan on it. The battery is slightly bigger than stock. The back cover fits on fine, but it's very difficult to get the battery out and I'm scared if I continue to use it then over time something will break. The charger works nice though and it charges the stock battery, so for $11 I can't complain. Does anybody know where I can get a battery that is the same size as stock and around the same capacity?

Also, does anybody have any hands on experience with the Seidio 3500? I'd rather not spend that much and I'm not a fan of making my phone huge, but if there's no other alternatives I might go with that.

Upvote 0
Just returning from scouring eBay for extended batteries for the PHOTON.Quite a few 3500 mah batteries listed in the $10.00-$15.00 range from various sellers.From all looks,it appears to be the same generic battery.The only exception being the $88.00 MUGEN 3600 mah battery.
For $10-$15,I believe I'm gonna try one out w/a seller who has a decent refund policy & seller rating.

Anyone here tried one of these out yet?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I meant to order this one with the charger/dock, but I spaced out. I ordered the charger/dock separately from Hong Kong for $2.45 shipped. How much does it cost to make these things?

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Reactions: Chicago Mafia
Upvote 0
Just returning from scouring eBay for extended batteries for the PHOTON.Quite a few 3500 mah batteries listed in the $10.00-$15.00 range from various sellers.From all looks,it appears to be the same generic battery.The only exception being the $88.00 MUGEN 3600 mah battery.
For $10-$15,I believe I'm gonna try one out w/a seller who has a decent refund policy & seller rating.

Anyone here tried one of these out yet?

I changed my mind & ordered a SEIDIO 3500 mah extended battery from AMAZON.A bit steep @ $69.00,but,w/AMAZON being the direct seller instead of a 3rd party dealer,I felt more assured of getting a genuine product instead of a knock-off.
The product description stated overall thickness of the phone would increase by approximately .2"(.5-.6 cm).
On back order,will post battery life results after putting it through the paces for a week or so.

Upvote 0
Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
Got my extended battery, back cover, and charger yesterday that I had ordered from eBay. After charging overnight, I used the battery today for the first time. Battery life was about the same as the stock battery. I ran it down to about 6%. I'm hoping the battery will get better after it runs through a few cycles. Is there anything on the photon like a reset battery stats?

Also, the larger battery does add some girth, but nothing major. My phone still fits in the same holster I was using with the stock battery.

Upvote 0
I changed my mind & ordered a SEIDIO 3500 mah extended battery from AMAZON.A bit steep @ $69.00,but,w/AMAZON being the direct seller instead of a 3rd party dealer,I felt more assured of getting a genuine product instead of a knock-off.
The product description stated overall thickness of the phone would increase by approximately .2"(.5-.6 cm).
On back order,will post battery life results after putting it through the paces for a week or so.

Canceled this ORDER after finding a 3500mAh extended battery by TREXCELL on AMAZON for $20.99,will arrive in 1.5 days. Ships out of ATLANTA,GA. from a brick & mortar store, backed by AMAZON.
Sounds like a safe-bet to me + save $50.00 in the process.

Upvote 0
Looks like I need to try a different battery monitor program.

From the review for the TREXCELL battery on Amazon - I ordered from this seller for 2 reasons, 1 local in usa for quicker delivery and 2, wanted to see if this battery has the same problem as the one I purchased from a hong kong seller. The problem is identical in that these extended batteries do not reflect an accurate power level indicator on the phone, my original battery lasted about 12 hours and the power level indicator accurately reflected that, but the extended batteries power level indicator says the power is low like 15%, 10%, 5% at around the same 12 hours, but lasts double the time around 24 hours, so u can have 5% left indicated, but u can still use the phone for 8 to 12 hours, as a result you can not rely on the indicator so u must try and remember how much time u have left and put up with the plug in to charger nag screen popping up prematurely. Also this sellers back cover casting was not as refined as the the hong kong sellers, the holes were smaller affecting the speaker and mic muffling and there were some residual excess plastic from the mold casting so I am not using it, but the design and material are the same. Also the hong kong seller acknowledged the power indicator problem so it's not just my phone but did not recommend anyway to deal with it. Don't know if other Motorola phones with extended batteries have this problem and I just don't know about it. Still this battery is better than running out of power after only 12 hours.
Update! after reading the comment to this post from the seller (thank you seller), I tried a hand full of apps to correct the battery level indicator problem and settled on using the free app called "battery monitor" as it has a setting to determine how much power is left by reading the voltage and u can adjust the values, but I just left mine on the stock setting and now I have a digital percentage remaining in the top bar to the left (no stupid widget to clog my screen) of course the stock battery indicator to the right is still reading wrong but now I don't care to do anything about it as now I can tell how much power is really left. I just wish the sellers of these batteries would be so kind to let the potential customers know about this limitation before hand and recommend ways to accommodate it.

Upvote 0
Looks like I need to try a different battery monitor program.

From the review for the TREXCELL battery on Amazon - I ordered from this seller for 2 reasons, 1 local in usa for quicker delivery and 2, wanted to see if this battery has the same problem as the one I purchased from a hong kong seller. The problem is identical in that these extended batteries do not reflect an accurate power level indicator on the phone, my original battery lasted about 12 hours and the power level indicator accurately reflected that, but the extended batteries power level indicator says the power is low like 15%, 10%, 5% at around the same 12 hours, but lasts double the time around 24 hours, so u can have 5% left indicated, but u can still use the phone for 8 to 12 hours, as a result you can not rely on the indicator so u must try and remember how much time u have left and put up with the plug in to charger nag screen popping up prematurely. Also this sellers back cover casting was not as refined as the the hong kong sellers, the holes were smaller affecting the speaker and mic muffling and there were some residual excess plastic from the mold casting so I am not using it, but the design and material are the same. Also the hong kong seller acknowledged the power indicator problem so it's not just my phone but did not recommend anyway to deal with it. Don't know if other Motorola phones with extended batteries have this problem and I just don't know about it. Still this battery is better than running out of power after only 12 hours.
Update! after reading the comment to this post from the seller (thank you seller), I tried a hand full of apps to correct the battery level indicator problem and settled on using the free app called "battery monitor" as it has a setting to determine how much power is left by reading the voltage and u can adjust the values, but I just left mine on the stock setting and now I have a digital percentage remaining in the top bar to the left (no stupid widget to clog my screen) of course the stock battery indicator to the right is still reading wrong but now I don't care to do anything about it as now I can tell how much power is really left. I just wish the sellers of these batteries would be so kind to let the potential customers know about this limitation before hand and recommend ways to accommodate it.

Which BATTERY MONITOR app did you select? There's a few w/the same name.THX!

Upvote 0
I had one battery monitor app already, called "Battery Circle" that I think measures voltage and show both percentage and a colored circle that goes from green when full and the circle shrinks to red when the battery is being depleted. Is that the app that works with the extended battery? Oh, and my eBay order I placed early today seems to have been shipped. Hopefully I will get it in a few days so I can throw my two cents in on these extended batteries.

Upvote 0
Which BATTERY MONITOR app did you select? There's a few w/the same name.THX!

Just a guess since I don't have a 3rd party battery (yet), but after reading the description for this one, it looks like it has a built in setting for 3rd party batterys so there's a good chance this is the one.

Voltage based options for third party or extended life batteries.

VOLTAGE BASED (Read Me!): Do not use Voltage based as a default option, it is designed for people with aftermarket/extended batteries that are not reporting true system values. The calculation is extremely simple, if it doesn't seem to work for you, you will need to set the min/max voltage values to match your battery.

Edit: Just installed this app and it's pretty nice. The old status bar battery app I used only worked in 10% increments. This one works in 1% increments (rare on Moto devices). I'm going to buy the TREXCELL battery now and see how I like it.

Upvote 0
Just a guess since I don't have a 3rd party battery (yet), but after reading the description for this one, it looks like it has a built in setting for 3rd party batterys so there's a good chance this is the one.

Edit: Just installed this app and it's pretty nice. The old status bar battery app I used only worked in 10% increments. This one works in 1% increments (rare on Moto devices). I'm going to buy the TREXCELL battery now and see how I like it.

I installed this app this morning. Phone has been off the charger for six hours. Battery circle widget says I have 31% left which would be about right for the stock battery. Battery Monitor says I have 63% left.

I have no idea what to set the voltage settings to on Battery Monitor so I left them at the default settings.

We'll see what happens when the Battery Circle Widget says I have zero juice left.

FYI - I using a Hong Kong battery from a US Seller.

Upvote 0
I installed this app this morning. Phone has been off the charger for six hours. Battery circle widget says I have 31% left which would be about right for the stock battery. Battery Monitor says I have 63% left.

I have no idea what to set the voltage settings to on Battery Monitor so I left them at the default settings.

We'll see what happens when the Battery Circle Widget says I have zero juice left.

FYI - I using a Hong Kong battery from a US Seller.

Great. Let us know your results. For your sake, hopefully the Battery Monitor is correct.

Upvote 0
Battery circle widget ran all the way down to "1" and then stopped. Phone said connect to charger, blah, blah, blah. Battery Monitor said I had about 40% left. Phone continued to run for another hour and forty minutes running gps, email, internet, blue tooth, and phone calls. Total off charger time was eight hours and forty minutes. It seems like the phone went from 25% to 0% in about 20 minutes so the settings in Battery Monitor might need to be tweaked a little bit. Nice thing about having a second battery is that I just popped my stock battery back in and am back up and running. Most days, I would plug the phone into my car charger to sip juice while I am on the road so I doubt the battery would ever reach zero again. Highly recommend 3500 mah battery and Battery Monitor.

Upvote 0
Battery circle widget ran all the way down to "1" and then stopped. Phone said connect to charger, blah, blah, blah. Battery Monitor said I had about 40% left. Phone continued to run for another hour and forty minutes running gps, email, internet, blue tooth, and phone calls. Total off charger time was eight hours and forty minutes. It seems like the phone went from 25% to 0% in about 20 minutes so the settings in Battery Monitor might need to be tweaked a little bit. Nice thing about having a second battery is that I just popped my stock battery back in and am back up and running. Most days, I would plug the phone into my car charger to sip juice while I am on the road so I doubt the battery would ever reach zero again. Highly recommend 3500 mah battery and Battery Monitor.

Thanks for the follow up. That's kind of a disappointment that it wasn't accurate. However, knowing that once it hits 25% it is about dead is easier than it sitting at 1% for 2 hours and not knowing when it will die. I'd be satisfied with that. My 3500 mah comes tomorrow and I'm really looking forward to it. I'm sick of having to worry about phone usage to make sure my phone will last until I get home in the evening.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the follow up. That's kind of a disappointment that it wasn't accurate. However, knowing that once it hits 25% it is about dead is easier than it sitting at 1% for 2 hours and not knowing when it will die. I'd be satisfied with that. My 3500 mah comes tomorrow and I'm really looking forward to it. I'm sick of having to worry about phone usage to make sure my phone will last until I get home in the evening.

I read somewhere (XDA, I believe), that if you charge the extended battery using an external charger & then place the battery in the phone that the discharge stats indicate a truer percentage of remaining battery life.
If my TREXCELL battery arrives today as promised,I'll charge it on my FOSMON dock in the slot provided for extra battery charging & then use both BATTERY CIRCLE & BATTERY MONITOR & compare the results.

Upvote 0

Once you tweak the settings in BATTERY MONITOR,please share your results w/us here.

Upvote 0
The correct settings in Battery Monitor to calculate % of juice left for my 3500 mAh battery is 3325 and 4200. It will now zero out correctly. I had eight hours and 21 minutes of use out of my battery today before it died. It is truly twice of what I was getting from the stock battery. I just emailed the eBay seller about getting a second one. Battery, wall charger, and expanded back cover was $16.00 shipped from a US seller.

Upvote 0
The correct settings in Battery Monitor to calculate % of juice left for my 3500 mAh battery is 3325 and 4200. It will now zero out correctly. I had eight hours and 21 minutes of use out of my battery today before it died. It is truly twice of what I was getting from the stock battery. I just emailed the eBay seller about getting a second one. Battery, wall charger, and expanded back cover was $16.00 shipped from a US seller.

Just got the TREXCELL EXTENDED BATTERY & using the same set-up w/BATTERY MONITOR.

STOCK & BATTERY CIRCLE are reading 80%

BATTERY MONITOR w/voltage settings option used is reading 55%

Recommended use per instructions is to use the battery straight out of the box w/o charging & then proceed to conditioning the battery as follows:

Per the charging/conditioning instructions,the battery is to be fully discharged & re-charged several times, allowing a full discharge w/o plugging in to top off.

The instructions also state to use normal charging, using the stock charger(A/C, not via USB) for the conditioning period.Once the conditioning is complete,use the source of choice for future charging.

The instructions also state that is is recommended to allow full discharge between charge-ups when possible/feasible to maximize battery performance & a longer lifetime of use.

I'll check-in after a few days of conditioning to report results w/the battery & indication accuracy of both BATTERY MONITOR & BATTERY CIRCLE.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones