No hype (love) for Captivate from AT&T

Last Updated:

1. crashcarruthers

crashcarruthers Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

They "normally" announce a news media release package on Monday before their new phone goes on sale the following Sunday. No news release Monday just a facebook notice last week. They haven't changed the wireless website from coming soon or give official price and availablity. The local corporate stores I have called have little knowledge (if any) about the release. I really don't understand. The first time AT&T has a real high level android and and they don't hype it. No email yet from the AT&T about the release to the people that signed up for info.

Advertisement
  2. lordmaxx

lordmaxx Well-Known Member

well, they dont do big announcements for cheap little flip phones either...thats probably about what they think of your typical android device.

3. ardyer

ardyer Well-Known Member

I don't remember AT&T ever doing any kind of hype for any phone, except the iPhones.

4. t-readyroc

t-readyroc Well-Known Member

Speaking of hype... did anyone who put their email address into the box on the Captivate page ever get an email? I know I haven't yet...

5. lordmaxx

lordmaxx Well-Known Member

I dont think i got an email for the Aria...and I remember a rep on the facebook page saying the emails were to go out when the phones are released, not announced.

6. maerlim

maerlim Well-Known Member

Not a single one.

7. Residue26

Residue26 Member

They don't want to take any thunder away from their iPhone.

8. macshield

macshield Active Member

No email here either. But I figure the less hype the better chance I have of grabbing one of these on Sunday. I'm done with Iphone and this looks like a good way to start my Android experience. Can't wait.

9. emuneee

emuneee Well-Known Member

Yea, the less initial hype, the better (for me)...lol.

10. subie41ife

subie41ife Well-Known Member

Agree! I'm returning my iPhone 4 tomorrow...I think so much less of apple as a company after how they are handling the iPhone 4 problems!

I can't wait to contune learning about android and my new phone!!!

11. Blackforge

Blackforge Well-Known Member

If they try to charge you a restocking fee, fight it. I had to mention that Apple has changed their policy because of the issues and are not charging a restocking fee. I even reiterated that the only reason why I bought directly from an AT&T store was from my FAN discount, otherwise I would have bought it from Apple directly.

I say this after taking my iPhone 4 back today.

12. ewingr

ewingr Well-Known Member

13. subie41ife

subie41ife Well-Known Member

lol, I got my phone from an apple store so I should be good to go. thanx for the heads up tho!

14. Blackforge

Blackforge Well-Known Member

Apple Stores tend to have issues with accounts that have the monthly FAN discounts applied to them. No FAN discount on the Apple hardware.

15. ardyer

ardyer Well-Known Member

I was watching the big tv my gym has on ESPN while working out today and they showed a Samsung Galaxy S commercial 3 times in about 40 minutes. It wasn't for AT&T (it showed the logo of all 4 carriers) and it showed the Euro version, but it's a start.

16. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

Of course AT&T isn't hyping the Captivate. They don't "love" Android... they love the iPhone. They're only releasing Android phones to shut up the educated consumers who are complaining and threatening to leave for other providers who actually do love Android. They still want to push the iPhone to everyone else.

AT&T is caught between wanting to appease Apple, and not lose customers. Verizon et al aren't restricted by some demanding master, and are free to openly and aggressively market Android's advantages over other phones (including the iPhone).

17. em2002

em2002 New Member

I heard AT&T is going to "restrict" the applications you can put onto the Captivate. Anyone know what level of restriction? I don't want to get this thing only to find out I can't install popular Android apps.

18. t-readyroc

t-readyroc Well-Known Member

Welcome. Read this thread. Talks all about side-loading & workarounds. There's no restriction per se; just the inability to load apps from anywhere but the market.

19. crashcarruthers

crashcarruthers Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

The only apps you can load are from the Android Market Place. I really have no problem with this because it adds a layer of security to apps. Any developer can add an app to Android Market Place. There are beta forms of apps that are not on Android Market that some people want to load on their phone and AT&T does not allow apps from unknown sources to be added. You can circumvent this block and still "side load" if you want to go to the trouble. Their are approximately 100,000 apps in Android Market Place.

20. Donatron

Donatron Well-Known Member

AT&T also blocks certain apps in the Market (e.g. tethering apps). The workaround for that is to put the phone in airplane mode, and access the Market via WiFi.

21. KMA

KMA Well-Known Member

Anyone know for sure of a Captivate owner successfully installing and using a tethering app using the "airplane mode" method?

22. rlb4

rlb4 Well-Known Member

What if I use Appbrain, can I install pdanet or easytether using their fast web installer?

23. Theojt

Theojt Member

Yeah, but this may change (180 degrees) as ATT realizes that Android is here to stay (and make them money) and as Verizon gets the iPhone (cannibalizing Android sales).

24. ajerman

ajerman Active Member

I just get the feeling that AT&T isn't a huge Android fan. It's taken them this long to get a decent Android phone in the stores, and even then, every Android they have released has been locked down. I'm not sure if it's an Apple thing or and AT&T thing, but it's annoying.

25. Jofaba

Jofaba Well-Known Member