• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

No longer able to see files or folders on Vodafone 785

Syncopator

Jul 27, 2014
A few weeks ago I transferred a picture to it from my computer and have used it as wallpaper. It resides in the "Photos" application.

I have also transferred other photographs to the 'phone and they also appear in "Photos".

I have now transferred another image to it, putting it in the "Pictures" folder; it's the only obvious place to put it that I can see via the computer over the USB.

I can't see it on the 'phone either in "Gallery" or "Photos".

In desperation I also put it in The DCIM folder, but I still can't see it in Gallery or Photos.

What have I forgotten to do, or what am I doing wrong?

Addendum: I can't, over the USB, see the ringtone I added either. It seems that I can no longer get access to some folders on the 'phone.

A few weeks ago I transferred a picture to it from my computer and have used it as wallpaper. It resides in the "Photos" application.

I have also transferred other photographs to the 'phone and they also appear in "Photos".

I have now transferred another image to it, putting it in the "Pictures" folder; it's the only obvious place to put it that I can see via the computer over the USB.

I can't see it on the 'phone either in "Gallery" or "Photos".

In desperation I also put it in The DCIM folder, but I still can't see it in Gallery or Photos.

What have I forgotten to do, or what am I doing wrong?

Addendum: I can't, over the USB, see the ringtone I added either. It seems that I can no longer get access to some folders on the 'phone.

What filemanager are you using on the phone? If you don't have one I suggest ES Explorer. If you can see your photos and ringtones with the file manager then there is another issue with your other apps. I personally have not used Gallery since My first SmartPhone and that is do to the fact that I have found QuickPic to be just so much better.

You could try going into settings apps and clearing the cache of those apps and see if they will now find the photo's you are wanting to view again.

Upvote 0
The only file manager I had was a default application which was already on the 'phone. I've never used it.

However, I have now installed ES Explorer, more out of curiosity than anything.

I have opened it but can't see the image file (it's a GIF) which I put in both the Android and the DCIM folders via USB, and which are still visible there on the computer.

In my application list I can see Gallery, the cache of which I have just cleared, but Photos doesn't appear in the list.

I am confused.

I still can't remember how I managed to transfer various images from the computer to the 'phone before.

Upvote 0
All I ever use anymore for transfering files from phone/tablet to computer or vise versa is Airdroid. No cables needed and its a very clean app. Been using it for a few years now and its never let me down.

Is the Gif files the only ones you cannot see? You had said something about ringtones as well can you see those now?

as far as transferring images I doubt you did anything wrong its pretty much a drag and drop thing. Maybe your phone doesn't support gifs I don't know try to put the file in a png or jpg format and see if you can view it then. I would think that gif support is standard but who am I to assume.

Upvote 0
It appeared that I wasn't seeing anything on the SD card.

I removed the battery and the card, replaced the battery, switched the 'phone on, switched it off, removed battery, replaced the card etc .... and I can now see all the files again.

The image below is the one I have been looking for. It's now one of my wallpapers.

Animation1_zps70dec8d8.gif~original

Reactions: argedion
Upvote 0
Not it isn't rooted.

There's one thing which may be significant. After I had removed the battery etc., as described above, when I connected the USB cable the computer asked me what I wanted to do with the detected device. I remember now that it had done this when I first transferred files to the 'phone, but on subsequent occasions, for some reason, didn't.

I checked the option to connect so that I could exchange files (or whatever, I don't remember the wording) every time it was connected. I was then able to transfer files and use them.

Just why this stopped happening is beyond me.

Upvote 0
If the SD card is giving problems I strongly recommend putting it in a PC, backing up the files then reformatting using a dedicated SD card formatter - not the PC's built-in formatter - then restoring your files.

Works wonders with troublesome cards that have been messed up by formatting with a generic format program or have other issues :)

Reactions: argedion
Upvote 0
If the SD card is giving problems I strongly recommend putting it in a PC, backing up the files then reformatting using a dedicated SD card formatter - not the PC's built-in formatter - then restoring your files.

Works wonders with troublesome cards that have been messed up by formatting with a generic format program or have other issues :)

Hey john thanks so much for that info. :thumbup:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones