• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help No media volume coming from speaker.

titanium101

Lurker
Dec 19, 2013
Long story short , my S3 was detecting only one of my headphones, I read somewhere on a forum that if this happened you need to put a piece of tin foil in the aux slot and I did just that and it worked. - sound in both headphones. but now there's no sound coming from the speakers. I mean no media sound. if someone calls me I hear the phone ringing but I must put it on speaker to actually be able to hear the person.

here's a video I just shot of what I mean.
MVI 2596 - YouTube
/watch?v=0tQu6SQp1Oo&
any solutions? I removed the screws to hopefully get the aux slot out and clean it up but I don't really know how to remove it and I don't wanna break anything.

help? please!

Lesson 1 in destroying a phone: Shove conductive material in holes because someone tells you to.

If you want to keep experimenting, there are other holes you can shove foil into, but driving over the phone is faster. Don't stop, just keep going to the phone store to buy the new phone.

If you want this one fixed, bring it to a repair shop. The original problem sounds like a bad earphone jack, and that's a relatively cheap repair. The problem you have now could be the same one - a bad earphone jack (the speakers are fed through the earphone jack when there are no earphones plugged in), or you could have blown something on the motherboard by shorting something out with the foil - which would mean a couple of hundred dollars in labor (plus a new motherboard, which isn't peanuts either) if the shop has real trained technicians (who don't get paid peanuts, even for trivial repairs like replacing an earphone jack). Diagnosing the problem could take an hour - and you pay for labor by the clock.

"Saving money" by doing it yourself, in most internal cellphone repairs, usually costs you a lot more in the long run.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones