• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

No names - just phone numbers showing for phone calls and messages! Grrr

colwol10ib

Lurker
Aug 19, 2017
Hi
Things have been going swimmingly and I loooove my S8 (I'm running Android Oreo with Samsung Experience ver 9.0). However, in both the phones screen and messages recently, phone numbers only are showing, not the names of the caller/messenger!

I use the default app for both phone and messages, but I am using DejaOffice 4.4.9 (build 1076) for Contacts and Calendar as I like the way both of them work on the phone. I use CompanionLink for Outlook (build 8016) to sync although I do have occasional problems getting things happening (i.e. "hangs" when it gets up to a particular number sometimes).

I have to admit this has only happened since the last CompanionLink sync (and yes, I have sent an email to their support). I'm just wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem. I've actually uninstalled and reinstalled DejaOffice and everything in it is now working fine.

I've gone into the phone, Call Settings and "Show caller information" is on.

I don't know what else to do to get my caller's names back on the phone and message apps! :thinking: I've researched as much as I can but just haven't got a clue.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Try going into your Settings >> Apps menu, find the 'Contacts' app, open it, open 'Storage', and 'Clear cache'. Do the same on the 'Phone' app. I don't think that will be fix this problem but it won't affect anything to try.
If you start up your S8 into its Safe Mode, try opening the Phone app and see if the names are showing up properly again. When running in Safe Mode, those third-party apps you've installed won't be pre-loading themselves at startup. If the contact entry names are showing up while in Safe Mode at least you know one of those apps are something to look into. Hopefully you don't need to uninstall any of them, it might just be a matter where you need to dig into the Settings menu of each and find some option that's messing things up for you.
https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/mobile-devices/how-do-i-put-my-samsung-galaxy-s8-into-safe-mode/

Upvote 0
Hi all - and thanks for all your help. The solution was as bizarre as it was simple. Having done everything you'd all suggested (at least twice), I needed to change the info in one of the contacts. I did that, saved it and voila!, the names all rippled back in both phone calls and messages!

Go figure...

This only happened last night, by the way. I had truly despaired of ever fixing it.

Cheers, Colleen

Reactions: svim
Upvote 0
Hi all - and thanks for all your help. The solution was as bizarre as it was simple. Having done everything you'd all suggested (at least twice), I needed to change the info in one of the contacts. I did that, saved it and voila!, the names all rippled back in both phone calls and messages!

Go figure...

This only happened last night, by the way. I had truly despaired of ever fixing it.

Cheers, Colleen
Nice!
What info was causing the problem?

Upvote 0
I wish I knew. I happened to know that some info in a particular contact's name was wrong, so corrected it. Totally random. No rhyme or reason. The only thing was, it changed a website address, but how would that affect things??

Anyway, I'll know what to do next time. Pick a contact. Change something (anything?). Save it. Watch the effect ripple through phone calls and messages.

:thinking::)

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones