Root Noob Kernel Question

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by middie26, Oct 2, 2010.

1. middie26

middie26 Member

Sep 9, 2010
    So, I've just installed the two Hyra kernels and after checking the "about phone" section, I see the undervolt kernel has been installed. Now I've got a couple of questions..

1. How do I know the overclock kernel was also installed?
    2. Are there any settings or anything I need to turn the kernel "on" or is it automatic?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Advertisement

2. cuban11182

cuban11182 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    US Coast Guard
    Florida
    You can downlod system app lite for free from the Market. open it up and you can look there. it will tell you what you max is: menu->device info, then scroll down.

3. nkk

nkk Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Wait...what do you mean also installed? You cannot have two kernels installed at once. I suggest you read up on what a kernel is.

My quick explanation:

It is essentially the layer between the software and hardware. Let's say a program wants to access a picture on your memory. It cannot just go looking through the memory itself and pull it up. It tells* the kernel that it wants the file located at /xx/xx/x/xx/xxxx.jpg, and the kernel says ok and points the program in the right direction.

*Tells is probably not the right word. It is more like the kernel contains the code that tells the program how to interface with the memory, but even that is a bit misleading. I suggest using google to find explanations from people who are better at explaining this than I am. On a (funny) tangent, I have once explained a cupcake to someone in terms of mathematical functions. I really do suck at this. :)

4. middie26

middie26 Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Thanks, nkk! I completely understand.

When I installed the kernels, I believe I installed the overclock one first, then the undervolt. I suppose that explains why I'm only seeing the undervolt kernel, since it pretty much wrote over the overclock kernel. I should've realized it at the time, but it makes complete sense that both couldn't be installed at the same time!