Noob Kernel Question

Last Updated:

1. middie26

middie26 Member This Topic's Starter

So, I've just installed the two Hyra kernels and after checking the "about phone" section, I see the undervolt kernel has been installed. Now I've got a couple of questions..

1. How do I know the overclock kernel was also installed?
    2. Are there any settings or anything I need to turn the kernel "on" or is it automatic?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Advertisement
  2. cuban11182

cuban11182 Well-Known Member

You can downlod system app lite for free from the Market. open it up and you can look there. it will tell you what you max is: menu->device info, then scroll down.

3. nkk

nkk Well-Known Member

Wait...what do you mean also installed? You cannot have two kernels installed at once. I suggest you read up on what a kernel is.

My quick explanation:

It is essentially the layer between the software and hardware. Let's say a program wants to access a picture on your memory. It cannot just go looking through the memory itself and pull it up. It tells* the kernel that it wants the file located at /xx/xx/x/xx/xxxx.jpg, and the kernel says ok and points the program in the right direction.

*Tells is probably not the right word. It is more like the kernel contains the code that tells the program how to interface with the memory, but even that is a bit misleading. I suggest using google to find explanations from people who are better at explaining this than I am. On a (funny) tangent, I have once explained a cupcake to someone in terms of mathematical functions. I really do suck at this. :)

4. middie26

middie26 Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks, nkk! I completely understand.

When I installed the kernels, I believe I installed the overclock one first, then the undervolt. I suppose that explains why I'm only seeing the undervolt kernel, since it pretty much wrote over the overclock kernel. I should've realized it at the time, but it makes complete sense that both couldn't be installed at the same time!