• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Not Happy With Battery Life

I will try this, However I use google maps and it would be a pain to have to keep doing this everytime I wanted to use maps. The point about the % above was that this was during the night when the phone wasnt being used at all. I dont think the battery should drop 9% in 5 hours during the night. Should it? maybe im wrong. As it was maps using over half of this, it seems odd that maps would be so active when the phone wasn't being used.

I should add a bit more detail, its the location services you want to untick.

Unticking the options in there wont affect how you use maps, its more to do with how maps tracks you. I use google now, so having these options ticked helps google now supply me with info.

As long as you have GPS on then you shouldn't notice any difference in your maps experience. GPS only uses battery when an app requests it, so having it on all the time wont affect your battery when the phones not in use.

9% drop overnight will be ok for some people, it all depends how people have their phone setup. I guess the only time you can do a like comparison on battery is when the phone is out of the box, without any options tweaked and without any apps downloaded. I have my phone plugged in every night, so this isn't an issue for me.

Upvote 0
I should add a bit more detail, its the location services you want to untick.

Unticking the options in there wont affect how you use maps, its more to do with how maps tracks you. I use google now, so having these options ticked helps google now supply me with info.

As long as you have GPS on then you shouldn't notice any difference in your maps experience. GPS only uses battery when an app requests it, so having it on all the time wont affect your battery when the phones not in use.

9% drop overnight will be ok for some people, it all depends how people have their phone setup. I guess the only time you can do a like comparison on battery is when the phone is out of the box, without any options tweaked and without any apps downloaded. I have my phone plugged in every night, so this isn't an issue for me.

Thank you for this. I also use latitude and Google now. I understand that these are going to contribute to battery draining, and to be honest im not complaining about the over all battery life.(could always be better right?) It gets me through the day and I can charge again in the evening. My point was that 9% in 5 hours over night seems a lot to me if the phone is inactive. I'm happy to have plugged in over night also but I wondered if it was doing this much when inactive, I wonder if the battery life during the day could be extended by some changes. I will be experimenting with switching off Google now as well as location services to try and work out if this is what's causing the drain.

Upvote 0
Hey guys for all you who have also had high percentage map usage in your battery status. I tested settings and I unticked one certain setting and it fixed it for my phone. No high map usage at all. Just go into maps-->settings-->location settings--> and untick "Report from this device". Hope this helps you guys.

Reactions: nebler
Upvote 0
How long was your learning mode?

Still learning but currently on 1d 21h and 25% Would of been higher but killed off 10% with some web browsing before work. One thing I have noticed is that with wifi and sync off, it's using zero battery while I'm sleeping whereas before I was losing about 10% overnight.

Not sure how to do screenshot yet lol

Upvote 0
Still learning but currently on 1d 21h and 25% Would of been higher but killed off 10% with some web browsing before work. One thing I have noticed is that with wifi and sync off, it's using zero battery while I'm sleeping whereas before I was losing about 10% overnight.

Not sure how to do screenshot yet lol

Screenshot is power button and volume down pressed at same time.

Mine stopped learning after 4 days.

Upvote 0
O aye,

Think this is reasonable. Going to hang fire charging

Attachments

• rsz_screenshot_2013-02-26-09-41-39.jpg
    rsz_screenshot_2013-02-26-09-41-39.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 45
Upvote 0
Mine has finished learning this morning when I got up. Currently 92% - 7hr 41m

Had to make a few changes to Battery Guru, keeps putting stuff like Google Play Books/Magazines/Movies/Music back to 'saves battery', I want 'Only when you open it'

ah just dropped 2% while typing that and looking lol

Upvote 0
I've noticed a big difference when using 3G compared to WiFi. Was at work last night, fully charged at 1pm, moderate usage and by 10 pm was down to 10%. But tonight at home using WiFi, quite heavily, I've only used around 15% in 4 hours. Also notice a big difference in the temperature of the phone. Its much cooler on the WiFi.

Upvote 0
I've not really had a problem with the battery life. If anything, it has improved the more that I've charged the battery. I currently turn of WiFi when I'm not at home, but other than that I have everything else switched on (GPS, Data, screen to auto).

I unplugged my N4 at 09:30am and it's currently been discharging for 15h 8m 52s and I still have 54% on my battery. According to my settings, I still have another 13hrs left before my battery is empty!

I'm quite happy with the battery life :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones