• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Not happy

Teknik

Dec 26, 2009
Ipswich
I bought the samsung galaxy as my first android device, as i really like the idea of regular updates. Ive had the HTC Tytn 2 (badged as the O2 XDA stellar) for over 2 years (got it very shortly after release) and like having a powerful phone but wanted an update.
Now i am running the galaxy on android 1.5, but ive just installed/mounted android 2.1 onto my tytn.
Why is it that fans can get the latest and greatest android running on old hardware and samsung cant even get it to run on their cutting edge hardware? and to add insult to injury it runs faster on my tytn 2!

RE: why we cant run 2.1, see the sticky.

RE: Android on WM devices, yes its real!

They use a preloader claled haret. You boot windows, execute the preloader, and it wipes all ram and boots android.

Its NOT android inside WM. They use haret to get around the problems associated with the built in bootloader on many devices.

I have my HTC diamond running android right now. And guess what it has the same processor as the samsung, and MORE ram. The screen res is VGA (higher than the samsung) and the whole thing runs really fast (probably due to ram).

The screen is resistive and really crap tho.

Sad sad sad

Upvote 0
apologies, while android actually reports it as being 2.1, checked the rom thread i got it from and it says its 2.0.1v2
However on the speed side of things it 'feels' as fast as my galaxy if not faster. Possibly cos its a fresh install, possibly cos the 3d drivers actually work, possibly cos its got more ram. But more likely its due to all of the above (girlfriend is using the phone and shes reported it having some issues, like it refused to answer when i rang her, however worked fine for her to ring me back. But what do you expect when you are hacking it to run on a 2 year old WM phone!)

Upvote 0
Seems to me that Google should be providing tools to allow users easily to upgrade their devices, freeing them from their dependence on hardware vendors:

Issue 5367 - android - Tools and documentation required to facilitate user-driven upgrades - Project Hosting on Google Code

I would be happy to discard Samsung's customizations (keeping their drivers of course) and upgrade using some Google-provided build (keeping Maps, Market, Mail and other closed-source apps, which are already resident on my phone).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones