• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Note 4. Is Screen Burn A Problem?

carnivalist

Lurker
Sep 22, 2012
Note 4. Is Screen Burn A Problem?

I was set on this handset (and a Tab S 10.1). However in the course of my research I've been very alarmed about the claimed problem of screen burn with SuperAmoled/Amoled screens.

One of the main reasons I wanted a Note is to take advantage of the screen size to extensively use Maps on foot and play games. It seems that this is precisely the kind of use that some claim causes problems.

Any advice? i.e should I be worried? I see that the Note 5 is supposedly abandoning SuperAmoled. Is this because of the screeen burn?

Where did you see that the Note 5 will not have an AMOLED screen? I would be amazed if that were true.

As for screen burn, let's see what Note 4 owners say (I'm not one of them). I had an AMOLED phone from 2010-2013 without problems (its colour balance shifted a little with time, but that was all), so it's not the case that all AMOLEDs always suffer such problems, but that's all I can say from direct experience.

Upvote 0
This is what I'm seeing on eBay. Sadly, not a lot of photos showing up in Google Image search, so I thought I'd post this one here. It's a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 phone with pink screen burn ghosting on its AMOLED OLED display. This is the result of its GREEN OLED sub-pixels wearing out faster than the RED and BLUE subpixels, even since green is technologically harder / inferior quality. RED + BLUE = PINK (MAGENTA) instead of white.

s-l1600 (5).jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Given this phone is now been around for four years, I would expect to see quite a few screen-burn specimens. I have seen burned AMOLEDs on new and current Samsung demonstration devices in showrooms

I've just never ever ever heard of a screen burned Galaxy S3. All of the used phones on eBay, and that I have purchased in person, have always had a clean display. Samsung somehow managed to make their AMOLED technology increasingly worse with every generation. They really need to start making the S3 again, by far their most successful phone to date. (My GPU finally died after 6 years, but the screen is fine; beautiful.)

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones