• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
I'm not surprised. The author of the article said that it gets worse with Chrome involved.

I blame Samsung moving to Cheetah Mobile. It was an insane move and they need to reverse it.

http://androidforums.com/threads/so-if-not-note-5-what-phone.936069/#post-7057096

The S6 opened with the same problem, and alleviated it somewhat with an update.

And yet the blogosphere finds the task management problems a mystery.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...nd-tasks-decreasing-multitasking-performance/

Can anyone confirm?

If yes, WTF is the point in having 4GB ot RAM just to start killing off background apps so quickly.

I'll check on it tomorrow afternoon,will be picking it up in-store after work.

I'm not surprised. The author of the article said that it gets worse with Chrome involved.

I blame Samsung moving to Cheetah Mobile. It was an insane move and they need to reverse it.

http://androidforums.com/threads/so-if-not-note-5-what-phone.936069/#post-7057096

The S6 opened with the same problem, and alleviated it somewhat with an update.

And yet the blogosphere finds the task management problems a mystery.

I'll compare Chrome to HTC Internet & see if there's a noticeable difference.

See ya back here tomorrow evening. :thumbsupdroid:

Upvote 0

LOL,was just about to do the same in reverse. :p

Anyhoo,I watched a demo last night of the Note5 vs Galaxy S6 multi-tasking,a side by side comparison (FF to the 8:00 mark):

Perhaps nothing spectacular,but,may not be as bad as the hordes are proclaiming (a lot have seemed to copy & paste the same article as their own) :rolleyes:

Now Samsung knows what HTC had to contend with earlier this year w/the undeserved bad press it got w/the M9......

Upvote 0
Now Samsung knows what HTC had to contend with earlier this year w/the undeserved bad press it got w/the M9......

As harsh as this sounds, if they're bundling Cheetah Mobile crapware as part of their standard builds, they deserve any bad press they get.

Upvote 0
OK,1st few minutes w/the phone were spent disabling bloat & scouring around for a way to disable CheetahMobile's BS & I think I found a way to stop the data mining without a root method:
Go to SETTINGS > LOCKSCREEN > SECURITY > OTHER SECURITY SETTINGS > ADVANCED > USAGE DATA ACCESS & turn off App Source & Smart Manager.

I also turned off Reporting Diagnostic Info,which can be found in SETTINGS >PRIVACY and SAFETY .
Also turned off the options for reporting diagnostics in the T-Mobile's MY T-Mobile app.

Now,back to CHEETAH MOBILE's data mining snoopware:
Yes,it's here,but,since disabling a couple hours ago as mentioned above,if you go to SETTINGS > APPLICATIONS > APPLICATION MANAGER > scroll right to left until you see ALL > scroll down to CheetahMobile CleanMaster SDK & you'll find that is has effectively been disabled,w/no data & not running.

I've even went in the app drawer & selected SmartManager & used it.Then went back to check if Cheetah Mobile SDK was running or,had any data.The app is still inert with 0.00 total data.

Upvote 0
That takes care of the data mining.

What about the task management?
I'm glad you asked & I'm still setting up,haven't even listed all my accounts.
Give me a couple hourS of trial & error & I'll try to give a clearer picture of the multi-tasking.
I'm beginning by going into CHROME & turning off merging tabs & apps (woulda done that anyway,an awful idea compounding another w/the Lollipop Carousel recents,SMH x100).:wtfdroid::wtfdroid::wtfdroid:

Reactions: El Presidente
Upvote 0
OK,1st few minutes w/the phone were spent disabling bloat & scouring around for a way to disable CheetahMobile's BS & I think I found a way to stop the data mining without a root method:
Go to SETTINGS > LOCKSCREEN > SECURITY > OTHER SECURITY SETTINGS > ADVANCED > USAGE DATA ACCESS & turn off App Source & Smart Manager.

I also turned off Reporting Diagnostic Info,which can be found in SETTINGS >PRIVACY and SAFETY .
Also turned off the options for reporting diagnostics in the T-Mobile's MY T-Mobile app.

Now,back to CHEETAH MOBILE's data mining snoopware:
Yes,it's here,but,since disabling a couple hours ago as mentioned above,if you go to SETTINGS > APPLICATIONS > APPLICATION MANAGER > scroll right to left until you see ALL > scroll down to CheetahMobile CleanMaster SDK & you'll find that is has effectively been disabled,w/no data & not running.

I've even went in the app drawer & selected SmartManager & used it.Then went back to check if Cheetah Mobile SDK was running or,had any data.The app is still inert with 0.00 total data.

I have the AT&T version - no Cheetah listed in Apps Manager, nor the choice to turn off App source and smart manager, as in none of them are listed

Thoughts?

Upvote 0
I have the AT&T version - no Cheetah listed in Apps Manager, nor the choice to turn off App source and smart manager, as in none of them are listed

Thoughts?
AT&T and Verizon typically remove setting options.

CM is still there, maybe AT&T is getting a cut of the action.

Upvote 0
That takes care of the data mining.

What about the task management?

How's the multitasking?
OK,the multi-tasking is OK to me,w/the big exception being CHROME.
Samsung has never been as smooth,or,as capable a multi-tasker as the standard bearer HTC,but,the re-draw is not that bad,except w/CHROME,it's just as demo'ed in various blogs/etc.....,downright awful.(HTC Internet is my primary browser,have disabled CHROME).
I've disabled Flipboard & replaced w/Blinkfeed & the articles are opening lightning quick,as if Blinkfeed was built for this phone.

So,a quick 1st glance review,I'm very pleased overall.I don't expect the phone to reach its full potential until a nice TouchWIz ROM is available (DARTHSTALKER,a TW ROM on the NOTE4,was one of the best ROMS I've seen on any phone,very polished & smooth,hope to see the dev on this phone as well).

Upvote 0
AT&T and Verizon typically remove setting options.

CM is still there, maybe AT&T is getting a cut of the action.

Poop on them.

I can tell you that multitasking seems pretty fast thus far. Chrome isn't great, but as I stated previously my other phone is an iPhone 6 Plus. Safari, which used to be terrific, is now officially atrocious. So Chrome is a huge improvement comparatively.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones