• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Note Edge Screen is DIM !!!! WHAT THE HELL??? PLEASE HELP.

I've got the Samsung Galaxy Note Edge on Sprint, as my carrier.

Please can someone help me figure this out???? It's driving me mad!!

When I first got this phone, the screen was SO BRIGHT.
IT WAS AMAZING.
Now, no matter WHAT I DO, what setting I choose, or how high I turn it up, the screen is considerably DIMMER.

It's not at all what it used to be! When I turn it on, it's pretty bright for literally 2 seconds, while the Sprint welcome screen turns on, then it literally DIMS, like right after the little Sprint phone turning on message is over.

Then the phone is on, and its like it's STUCK just being all dim and shitty.

My boyfriend got the Samsung Note 4 a couple of weeks ago, HOLY SHIT, my screen used to be like that!!! I put the phones side by side and wow, it's definitely sooooo much dimmer than his!
His screen is still as bright and pretty as always, to this day. While mine is shit for some reason.
It's literally almost the same phone, spec for spec, but mine next to his looks like a turd.

I've had this phone since January, it's only a little over a month old! What the hell happened!? It's too late to return it to Sprint for an exchange....

Can someone please tell me, has anyone else had this issue with the Edge, of the screen becoming dim???

What can I do to fix this?????

If I can't fix this, can someone at least tell me why this happened???
Is it a malfunction of the sensor, what could it be???

Do screens just lose their quality over time?... Even though it's just only a little over a month old....

Should I go ahead and replace the whole screen all together??? Would that fix it?.... Would that be a good investment?.....

Please, this is so devastating, I spent $850 on this phone, bought it at full price to avoid the contract, and now it's seeming like a pile of crud.

Can someone please help me with this, any suggestions??? VERY APPRECIATED.

Last edited by a moderator:
My screen mode is on AMOLED cinema. I feel like it's a tad bit brighter than the adaptive display.
The other modes just look very dim and almost sepia like.
I've already screwed around with the modes, doesn't do jack.

Can someone please at least tell me if this has happened on their Note Edge?....

Is your Note Edge still as bright as the Note 4, if you can compare it.... Or as bright as the day you bought it?.....

I just want to know if my phone is just plain defective or not... At least..

Or if it's some problem with the sensor........

Upvote 0
No, the thing is, is that I don't have a case.
Neither do I have a screen protector.

Auto brightness is unchecked. Like I said, I've tinkered with the settings. Nothing works.

When I hold an LED light to the sensor, it does definitely get ever so brighter. But still definitely not as bright as my boyfriend's Note 4.
But close.
Are they even supposed to be as bright as the Note 4? Am pretty sure that they are....

Also, I've definitely been trying to be extremely careful with it, but maybe because it doesn't have a case on it, it got a little dinked, which messed up the hardware or the sensor light inside?....

That would be a damn shame......

Upvote 0
Well, although I am not familiar with your device, I was reading the owners manual for it.
I know you said you tried all different settings etc, but do you have the Power Saving mode on?
Sorry, I'm just reading and throwing out some ideas :)

If someone doesn't come up with a better idea, perhaps a factory reset is in order? Failing that, I'm sure there is a warranty that covers the proximity sensor failure.

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
Yep, so actually, after tinkering around with the proximity sensor, using my little LED flashlight, as soon as I put it up into the sensor, the screen gets automatically brighter.

When I take it off, it dims after about 15 secs.

Wow.... How frustrating. I guess it really is important to have a case.....

Do any of you guys know if the warranty covers this?...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones