• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Notepad App...

OK, I've looked. I've searched. I've Googled, and my Google-Fu doesn't seen to be good. Or truly there's nothing out there that meets my needs (which I thought were fairly basic).

Exchange does NOT sync notes from Outlook. If it did, I wouldn't need something else. I'm looknig for a basic Notepad app. Needs the following functionality:

* Notepad app on phone, with data resident on phone
* Notepad app on PC, data resident on PC
* Sync between PC and phone, through "cloud" OK

I've looked at Evernote, and AK Notepad. Evernote needs the cloud. Many times I'm out of signal, but I still want to see my notes. AK Notepad syncs via the cloud, but there's no "resident" app on the PC, you need interweb/cloud access to see your notes.

Ideas?

OK, I've looked. I've searched. I've Googled, and my Google-Fu doesn't seen to be good. Or truly there's nothing out there that meets my needs (which I thought were fairly basic).

Exchange does NOT sync notes from Outlook. If it did, I wouldn't need something else. I'm looknig for a basic Notepad app. Needs the following functionality:

* Notepad app on phone, with data resident on phone
* Notepad app on PC, data resident on PC
* Sync between PC and phone, through "cloud" OK

I've looked at Evernote, and AK Notepad. Evernote needs the cloud. Many times I'm out of signal, but I still want to see my notes. AK Notepad syncs via the cloud, but there's no "resident" app on the PC, you need interweb/cloud access to see your notes.

Ideas?

Pretty basic stuff you would think, Palm OS has done this for years, but it seems it's beyond the abilities of Android - I've been looking for the same thing for ages! If you find anything do let us know, but I've tried a lot of apps in this field, and none of them are really very good.

One of the downsides I see in the way that Android software is developed is that there are a lot of developers all reinventing wheels, and actually producing pretty poor wheels. There are dozens of uninspiring notepad apps which all do similar things, none of them with very sophisticated functions. If all that effort was put into producing just one decent piece of software then they might get somewhere! The current system is about as efficient as splitting up all the coders at Microsoft, putting them in their own garages with a laptop, and telling them to compete to produce the next version of Windows!

Upvote 0
I gave up on this kind of app. What I really wanted was something that reliably and quickly synced to Google Docs, but everything that I have found seemed either buggy, overly complicated or unwieldy in some way.

I was using Gtasks for my to-do list, so I now simply have an additional task list that contains my notes. It actually works really well, syncs automatically, and I can edit my notes anywhere that has web access. I'm happy enough with this solution that I'm not sure I'll buy a notepad app even if I see one that meets my needs.

This isn't exactly a resident app but if you like my solution you can try this for your desktop:

Use Gmail Tasks as a Desktop App

It still doesn't make it resident on your PC but if you have Gmail or like Google Docs, you often have Google services up which makes it a little tighter integration to what you're doing already.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones