Noticed something about the lag issues...General

Last Updated:

1. Lagos

Lagos Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Last night I started having some really bad lag issues with the phone. I remembered about how the new update that is supposed to be pushed out soon had a lot of fixes for the weather widget. Seems HTC thinks its a pretty buggy widget, so I decided to remove the widget from my home screen and reboot the phone.
    Since doing this, my phone has become significantly more responsive than before. Scrolling the home screens, bringing up the dialer, launching the photo gallery, all seem a lot snappier than before and it has behaved like this all day long.

So I thought Id pass this along so that others with lag problems could try it and see what kind of results they get.

Advertisement
    shaggylouie likes this.
  2. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

That's interesting. I don't use the weather app, and I don't have any of the dialer lag issues or anything. Could be onto something.

3. v941726

v941726 Well-Known Member

I've noticed this before too but want positive it was it. Glad someone else did too. Its cool, but the clock is always visible and I have weather bug. If i need up to the second weather I will look out the window

4. hdevine

hdevine Well-Known Member

If you don't mind me asking, what weather widget are you referring too? I have the one where the clock is on top and the weather is below it for my area. That one?

Thanks,
    Harry

5. AdrianC14

AdrianC14 Well-Known Member

Interesting, I use WeatherBug Elite and don't have any lag issues.

6. v941726

v941726 Well-Known Member

The HTC sense weather widget. Or fancy widget. Same thing.

7. meatwad

meatwad Active Member

I also noticed after I switched to the ADW launcher and couldn't use the stock weather it seemed to be much faster. I use Fancy widgets version it looks the same except no full screen animations.

8. Lagos

Thats the one I'm talking about. Remove it, reboot the phone and report back to see if it helps.

9. Lagos

I honestly can't get over how my faster my phone is without the weather/clock widget running. Its been a whole day and I feel like I have a brand new phone.

10. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

I honestly think you might be right. I'm always puzzled when people always complain about dialer lag and general lag and such, when my current Eris nor my old Eris had any of these problems. But I never used the Weather app, and that was the one thing that remained consistent. I do use the Weather Channel widget instead.

11. bronc

bronc Active Member

hmmm i did a few tests. 10 or 11 calls and imediate hang ups with and without the weather widget. I did not notice any significant difference. I did not reboot the phone in between tests, only added and removed the weather/clock widget. In both instances there was occasional significant lag.

12. bronc

bronc Active Member

After a reboot with no senseclock. 20 calls and no lag.... interesting but not convinced yet. I'm going to run with it like this for a few days, you all might be on to something!

13. OhBe1

OhBe1 Well-Known Member

+1

We shall see.............................

14. bronc

bronc Active Member

ok, so i used the phone for a bit, opened up some apps that I use on a regular basis. And after a while decided to try it again. Without the Sense clock i experienced severe lag on 3 out of 4 calls. So, looks like it might be back to the drawing board. Must have just been the reboot that got rid of the lage before.

15. juicy.cook

juicy.cook Member

Hm. Took it off and restarted. Not sure if its faster because I want it to be, or if it is because it actually is. Once I use the phone a lil more I will probably be able to decide. lol.

16. Yoboebirdo

Yoboebirdo Well-Known Member

Yes, this is definately a way to go. Few weeks ago, the weather widget was giving me so many problems. Lag, Silent Bug (though not entirely confimred i think it definately helped to can that quite a bit), phone not sleeping, battery drain, etc. Anyway, now I use weatherbug and with the weather in the notification bar it works quite nicely and better than the HTC widget. Since then my Eris has been much more enjoyable

17. colornshape

colornshape Well-Known Member

I've never used the widget and ex dialer lags just like everybody complains. Sometimes the phone even locks itself Der a second in its confusion. NOTHing has ever changed that. JUst part of the SENse UI experience.

18. Lagos

What other widgets do you use?

19. mc48

mc48 Well-Known Member

I stopped using the sense weather widget a few weeks ago but don't know if it helped with lag or not. but the weather widget itself was laggy, and always seemed to be wrong. I now use the weather channel widget and haven't had any problems.

20. colornshape

colornshape Well-Known Member

Oh, man... well, I had HTC's Calendar, Photo Album, Bookmarks, and POwer Control. Also Diviclock, Tech Buzz, SilentMode OnOff, Speedometer, and Weatherbug Elite.

I took all those down, and killed every program I could both identify and do without. I also cleared the call history. The dialer works a bit better. About a two second delay instead of fifteen or twenty, such as I frequently enjoyed.

It never would have occurred to me in a trillion trillion decades that something as basic and important as the dialer would be at all vulnerable to bad memory management.

Aren't things like this supposed to be handled at a more fundamental level? I'll seems almost as if the dialer is just another program, treated the same as a sports team tracker, or any other handy yet unnecessary task.

I reset my phone with volume up, send, end and then killed everything with my task manager. Then I put all my widgets back up, except Tech Buzz and HTC's Photo Album.

The dialer is still responding relatively quickly.0-2 second delay now. I bet the Photo Album widget used a lot of memory.

So... in conclusion... sometimes the dialer ig slow, sometimes not. The former typically when an important call comes in and the dialer must work correctly in order to answer in time.

RAM eoes seen to matter. ANd keep in mind that Navigation mode in Google MAps uses so much memory that you might forget your own name.

Matt

21. nacosta

nacosta Member

Got rid of my task killer (manager? Whatever), weather widget and now using launcher pro instead of sense and my phone has not had any significant issues since. Its been almost two weeks and I love my eris, even with the 50% bug which isn't that much of a problem anyway. Task killers are useless and there are better weather apps.

22. pixel8tor

pixel8tor Member

Have had the weather widget off for about 4 days now, and the phone behaves like, well, a phone now. I hope that this is it. Would love to keep this phone whilest I watch for something new...

23. DEinMA

DEinMA Well-Known Member

Ha, this is crazy if true considering all these phones come with that widget on the desktop by default and most just leave it there. It's actually become iconic for the HTC sense home screen on all their phones.

I have WB Elite, so bye bye weather widget! :)

24. Lagos

Yep, so far the same experience for me too.
    Between getting rid of the weather widget and using Handcent, I really like my phone now. Its not the fastest thing in the world due to having an older processor, but its actually usable now and behaves more like a phone should.

25. ThorSkaagi

ThorSkaagi Well-Known Member

Are you guys talking about the actual full-screen weather widget, or the one with the big white clock?