• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Notification: Configuration update. Is it genuine Samsung?

Bodestone

Android Enthusiast
Jan 17, 2012
I have, today, received a notification titled: Configuration update
Sub title: System configuration update
Detail: Tap here to install the latest updates

I've never seen it before and quick web search produced these 2 results:
https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidQuestions/comments/g9l17b/system_configuration_update/
https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/galaxy-s10e-s10-s10-s10-5g/configuration-update/td-p/2045676

I don't think either are relevant but both had comments within the last 2 months so I included them for completeness.

I wanted to post this so that the outcome and replies would be visible and searchable for anyone else who had this notification to update as to whether it was actually safe.

It looks like it is a valid Samsung update to phone configuration in line with recent monthly Android updates
but from the details (long press) it is not conclusive. It does not tell you the vendor.

I am asking for 3 reasons.
1. If it is a standard Samsung update process why have I not seen it before?
2. I recently received a blatent phishing SMS with either some clever table formatting or a crafted image. I can't tell which because I just deleted it.
3. A search of this forum doesn't seem to include anyone asking about this. Maybe it's new. The Reddit post only seems to go back 6 months but I assume configuration updates would also be regional

For Information I am in the UK, on Three, using a Note 10 Plus 4G. I updated to the October Android update a couple of days ago.

Last edited:
Even if your response is "In all my years using a Samsung phone I have never seen this notification" would be good. I may have it because it looks like, if it is genuine it will apply at reboot and, well auto reboot has failed since the November update, so Samsung has noticed a discrepancy between Android update and Samsung Settings. I would have expected other folks who had not manually rebooted since the upgrade to also see iit...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones