• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Notification: "Low on space Phone storage space is getting low"

Same problem here. Got my first notice of 'low on space' and 'not enough internal storage space' so I deleted a bunch of apps, and rebooted several times. Messages continue to be rejected, but the phone operates all right at this point - except that I can't download any applications from the market. Hence, I can't download Connectbot.

I went through all applications and cleared all cache, including the browser and market app. I do have Handsent and started using the Hero VK about 2-3 weeks ago. Both have worked just fine. But now I can't shake/remove those notifications I mentioned, and no access to the Market.

Any suggestions? I really don't want to wipe out my device. Sounds like these 'tombstones' might be the issue.

are your phones rooted to be able to access those files?

1) you can download it here on your PC or from your phone: connectbot - Project Hosting on Google Code
2) using a file manager (i use appmanager or astro) - install it

and you should be able to access the folder.

Upvote 0
Thanks -- am now in the program and am looking at the list of tombstone files.

I see one whopper of a file dated last night, right when my phone started receiving the notifications.

What's next? How do I delete that one? Should I delete them all?

I have ASTRO -- can I use it to delete that huge tombstone file? I've tried searching through ASTRO for that file (tombstone_01), but can't find it.

Any help would be great appreciated. Do I need to root the phone to delete, for sure?

Upvote 0
my fiances phone just had same thing and its not letting her do anything. im gonna go ahead and root her moment, where would i find the tombstone file

try this first... go to menu > settings > applications > manage applications

go through your applications and see if there's one that is larger than normal (>4MB) - clear cache. check the market and browser, cuz those are notorious for hogging up.

then try getting connectbot. the tombstones are located under

/data/tombstones

but you need permission to view...

yeah already did that. didn't clear much. she went on a mass app deletion spree. didn't fix anything. plus phone want syncing with google cause it was so messed up. she got tired of it and hit the restore to factory button. when phone rebooted I forced a google sync and all her contacts came back and the phones memory is back. so she's half way happy now. loading apps back is what she's upset about now. thanks for the response though

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
Thanks -- am now in the program and am looking at the list of tombstone files.

I see one whopper of a file dated last night, right when my phone started receiving the notifications.

What's next? How do I delete that one? Should I delete them all?

I have ASTRO -- can I use it to delete that huge tombstone file? I've tried searching through ASTRO for that file (tombstone_01), but can't find it.

Any help would be great appreciated. Do I need to root the phone to delete, for sure?

i'm not sure if you'll have access to it... but it sounds like you can see the folder, so you can probably get rid of them... but here's what i did using connectbot...

type in "su" to see if you can change the "$" to a "#"
then type in "rm tombstone_01" or whatever the file name is... be careful to make sure you're just getting rid of the tombstones.

i know it happens when the virtual keyboard crashes...

Upvote 0
Each application has specific amount of memory set aside on the ROM. If an application begins to come close to this limit you will start to see the low memory warning.

To permanently resolve this issue, move apps to the SD Card instead of phone. The key is how to do it without using apps such as Apps2SD which require rooting your Android phone. You do not want to potentially void the warranty on your phone now. Found this detailed article on how to do this.

Been banging my head at it for almost two months now. Finally resolved my issue

Resolve Phone Storage Space is Getting Low on Android Phones

Upvote 0
settings>applications>manage applications then once you do that go down to the app you want to clear its cache open the app on that list you want to clear the cache of and press clear cache and there you go

the apps that build the cache the most are the market and browser others aren't that bad ive noticed but it depends on what apps you have, with the market even if it says the cache only says 500kb it seems to clear more like 2 or 3 mb for me

I am having similar issues with the "Low Space" message. I did as you suggested, but my browser and market do not give me the option to clear cache. I'm at a loss. Text messages are being rejected and I can't make phone calls or do anything else due to this issue. Any help would be great!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones