• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

stringfiend

May 14, 2012
If you are like me you probably felt pretty disappointed with the ICS update we had been waiting so long to get. It was basically an app update and a nifty task manager after Sammy's touchwiz got a hold of it.

However, all is not lost! By updating to ICS we are now compatible with the Nova Launcher from Google Play. I've tried Go Launcher and all kinds of different themes: simply put, Nova Launcher blows them all away.

Before you dismiss Nova as just another buggy, half-assed launcher overlay, you need to realize it is so professionally done it is basically Stock ICS with a few more customization options. If you don't believe me just read the reviews and see how many Galaxy Nexus users give Nova 5 stars!

I will never go back to touchwiz. And now that I know Nova is available I won't ever regret going with the Note over the Nexus again (really stock ICS was the only advantage there).

Find it here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/...uncher&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDNd

Has anyone compared Nova with Go Launcher EX? I'm a long time Go Launcher user, and love it. But when I finally got ICS I decided to give Nova a try since it was highly recommended. I was really disappointed... felt like a huge step down from Go Launcher in terms of functionality, customization, etc. Am I missing something? Should I give Nova another chance?

Upvote 0
I bought the Prime version for the Asus Transformer TF101 ICS. I fell in love with it and the moment ICS comes to my Rogers GNote, that's the first thing I'm putting in. Very nice and customizable.

johnb41, it's up to you. You can give it another go and see. Unfortunately, each individual is different. If you like Go Launcher better, there's nothing wrong with that. Just stick with whatever suits you better. ;)

Reactions: damewolf13
Upvote 0
Just installed Nova after running Holo in Gingerbread. Loved Holo. Was smooth, and gave me some ICS features. Now that I actually have ICS, Holo was kind of laggy and somewhat buggy. Screens kept disappearing or would seemingly get stuck. After installing Nova all that has seemed to stop, plus I still have the same basic look I liked from Holo. Gonna play with it some more and get back to you guys.

Upvote 0
Here was what I wrote about Nova and Apex today:
Installed Nova and Apex on my Note and then added Facebook widget. The stock launcher displays the widget with space for a row of icons on the side. Neither Apex or Nova did so out of the box. I did not take the time to explore if I could fix this. I am going on the assumption that the stock ICS Touchwiz launcher is better optimized for this very high density screen. You could resize the widget but that isn't the same thing as displaying things optimized for the native screen resolution. Interesting that the Note is the same resolution as the Galaxy Nexus 7 but obviously at a much higher density. A higher density in fact than the iPad "3".

Upvote 0
Here was what I wrote about Nova and Apex today:
Installed Nova and Apex on my Note and then added Facebook widget. The stock launcher displays the widget with space for a row of icons on the side. Neither Apex or Nova did so out of the box. I did not take the time to explore if I could fix this. I am going on the assumption that the stock ICS Touchwiz launcher is better optimized for this very high density screen. You could resize the widget but that isn't the same thing as displaying things optimized for the native screen resolution. Interesting that the Note is the same resolution as the Galaxy Nexus 7 but obviously at a much higher density. A higher density in fact than the iPad "3".

I am in fact using a Galaxy Note, I noticed that a few widgets cause Apex to claim that the screen has no further room when in fact the screen is blank. That confuses the heck out of me.

Upvote 0
I watched a few videos of Nova on YT, seems to me that Apex is a bit better in features and design. If you haven't checked it out, do so, it might be better. I'm not willing to throw down another few bucks for a launcher this month to do a head to head but if anyone is willing I'd like to hear an opinion. I'll tell ya this much, I still a nowhere near ready to scrap the TWLauncher, it's still darned good.

Upvote 0
Running Nova and love it. I changed the grid and all the widgets fit. Go into settings --> the desktop --> desktop grid --> 5 X 5

So far I have tried Acuweather.com, Digital Clock, Power Savings and S Memo Direct and they all fit. Unless I am missing something

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-07-13-18-17-55.png
    Screenshot_2012-07-13-18-17-55.png
    520.4 KB · Views: 406
  • Screenshot_2012-07-13-18-18-08.png
    Screenshot_2012-07-13-18-18-08.png
    511.1 KB · Views: 435
Upvote 0
Yes, you can force landscape for home screen. Folders are arranged by dragging apps together to form a circular folder object with apps in it. Is that ICS? This is my first time playing with it and don't really know what the vanilla ICS is like.

Dock can display 7 icons (max) on the bottom, but is scrollable to 5 pages (max). So one can assign max of 35 icons on the bottom dock. Though not sure who would want that.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones