Nova LauncherGeneral

1. stringfiend

stringfiend Well-Known Member

If you are like me you probably felt pretty disappointed with the ICS update we had been waiting so long to get. It was basically an app update and a nifty task manager after Sammy's touchwiz got a hold of it.

However, all is not lost! By updating to ICS we are now compatible with the Nova Launcher from Google Play. I've tried Go Launcher and all kinds of different themes: simply put, Nova Launcher blows them all away.

Before you dismiss Nova as just another buggy, half-assed launcher overlay, you need to realize it is so professionally done it is basically Stock ICS with a few more customization options. If you don't believe me just read the reviews and see how many Galaxy Nexus users give Nova 5 stars!

I will never go back to touchwiz. And now that I know Nova is available I won't ever regret going with the Note over the Nexus again (really stock ICS was the only advantage there).

Find it here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/...uncher&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDNd

Advertisement
    :
    joshua.worth and damewolf13 like this.
  2. jjohnson1

jjohnson1 Active Member

+1 for Nova Launcher! I love the level of customization. The gestures are also really handy.
  3. tigersharkdude

tigersharkdude Well-Known Member

any good themes? I tried installing the ICS theme but my screen just goes black
  4. johnb41

johnb41 Well-Known Member

Has anyone compared Nova with Go Launcher EX? I'm a long time Go Launcher user, and love it. But when I finally got ICS I decided to give Nova a try since it was highly recommended. I was really disappointed... felt like a huge step down from Go Launcher in terms of functionality, customization, etc. Am I missing something? Should I give Nova another chance?
  5. NeoGrandizer

NeoGrandizer Well-Known Member

I bought the Prime version for the Asus Transformer TF101 ICS. I fell in love with it and the moment ICS comes to my Rogers GNote, that's the first thing I'm putting in. Very nice and customizable.

johnb41, it's up to you. You can give it another go and see. Unfortunately, each individual is different. If you like Go Launcher better, there's nothing wrong with that. Just stick with whatever suits you better. ;)
    damewolf13 likes this.
  6. wutwutman

wutwutman Active Member

Just installed Nova after running Holo in Gingerbread. Loved Holo. Was smooth, and gave me some ICS features. Now that I actually have ICS, Holo was kind of laggy and somewhat buggy. Screens kept disappearing or would seemingly get stuck. After installing Nova all that has seemed to stop, plus I still have the same basic look I liked from Holo. Gonna play with it some more and get back to you guys.
  7. Argent009

Argent009 Well-Known Member

How does it stack up against Apex launcher?
  8. mntbighker

mntbighker Well-Known Member

Here was what I wrote about Nova and Apex today:
    Installed Nova and Apex on my Note and then added Facebook widget. The stock launcher displays the widget with space for a row of icons on the side. Neither Apex or Nova did so out of the box. I did not take the time to explore if I could fix this. I am going on the assumption that the stock ICS Touchwiz launcher is better optimized for this very high density screen. You could resize the widget but that isn't the same thing as displaying things optimized for the native screen resolution. Interesting that the Note is the same resolution as the Galaxy Nexus 7 but obviously at a much higher density. A higher density in fact than the iPad "3".
  9. Argent009

I am in fact using a Galaxy Note, I noticed that a few widgets cause Apex to claim that the screen has no further room when in fact the screen is blank. That confuses the heck out of me.
  10. Talderon

Talderon Well-Known Member

You will get this error when adding Touchwiz widgets on a non TW launcher.
  11. Argent009

Oh, that makes sense then, because the widgets I tried to add were ones that came pre-installed on the phone with the TW. Thanks.
  12. g nexta

g nexta Well-Known Member

I just got this launcher today, and it really is amazing! Is there any hope of having widgets in the drawer while unrooted?
  13. wutwutman

wutwutman Active Member

Ah. That explains why I couldnt add more than 2 5x1 widgets on the screen. Hmm. Thats kind of annoying. Not enough to make me stop using Nova though.
  14. Argent009

I watched a few videos of Nova on YT, seems to me that Apex is a bit better in features and design. If you haven't checked it out, do so, it might be better. I'm not willing to throw down another few bucks for a launcher this month to do a head to head but if anyone is willing I'd like to hear an opinion. I'll tell ya this much, I still a nowhere near ready to scrap the TWLauncher, it's still darned good.
  15. james27007

james27007 Look into my Eye VIP Member

Running Nova and love it. I changed the grid and all the widgets fit. Go into settings --> the desktop --> desktop grid --> 5 X 5

So far I have tried Acuweather.com, Digital Clock, Power Savings and S Memo Direct and they all fit. Unless I am missing something

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

16. tigersharkdude

^how did you do 7 things in the dock? been trying to figure that out..found everything else, but that :mad:
  17. NeoGrandizer

You can have more than 7 widgets on the dock via scrolling if I remember correctly. It's in the settings somewhere. I'm still tinkering and haven't had a chance to fully restore my device yet. Just making sure everything is okay before I start putting my data back into it.
  18. Argent009

Apex does all of the things shown above, I'm looking to see if there are things it can do that Apex can't do before I consider buying it.

Anybody???
  19. tigersharkdude

I downloaded NOVA last night...didnt cost a thing
  20. Argent009

That's the lite version though isn't it? The prime version is $4. Since I have the paid version of Apex it'd be an unfair comparison to try the lite version of Nova against it.
  21. james27007

james27007 Look into my Eye VIP Member

Nova is killer because of all of the options, like 7 icons at the bottom.

Nova setings --> Dock --> Dock icons

Max is 7 and I figured my screen is big enough :D
  22. JunBringer

JunBringer Well-Known Member

I'd just need it to force landscape for my homescreens and have ICS style folders. Can it do this?
  23. NeoGrandizer

Yes, you can force landscape for home screen. Folders are arranged by dragging apps together to form a circular folder object with apps in it. Is that ICS? This is my first time playing with it and don't really know what the vanilla ICS is like.

Dock can display 7 icons (max) on the bottom, but is scrollable to 5 pages (max). So one can assign max of 35 icons on the bottom dock. Though not sure who would want that.
  24. JunBringer

JunBringer Well-Known Member

On the bottom left where it says "Media" that's the ICS folder style.

[​IMG]
    NeoGrandizer likes this.
  25. NeoGrandizer

Okay, that's what Nova has as well when grouping apps together.