Obtaining root with ESE81

Last Updated:

1. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

This may have already been asked, so forgive me if it has..

Upgraded to ESE81 today. I've never rooted before, but would like to moreso for OCing purposes.

Can this be done yet?

Advertisement
  2. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

Nope.

Only way is to use sbf to get back to 2.0.1 and root from there. I wouldn't suggest that if you don't know what your doing

3. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

It'll be something available in the near future though right?

4. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

Someone could figure out how to root it today or it could be months who knows

5. bamaredwingsfan

bamaredwingsfan Well-Known Member

I would say, give it a week or 2.

6. radikal

radikal Well-Known Member

if they can find an exploit

7. theodar

theodar Member

and how would we go about getting "back to 2.0.1" i would really like to know so i can fix some issues

8. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

To get back to 2.0.1 you need to check the sticky titled "now you can live without the fear of bricking". It contains the sbf file for 2.0.1 and a program for your pc called rsd lite which will flash the 2.0.1 to your droid.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

kramerica likes this.
  9. silkchaos

silkchaos Well-Known Member

And this might seem repetitive as someone just started a thread on it - but make sure your battery is charged before doing so.

10. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

For 2.1? Who knows? It could be like the Nexus One where an exploit was found pretty much right away, or it could be like the Droid Eris where the exploit was found about 3 months after release. We're going to have to find a new exploit though; they patched the one present in 2.0.1. That's why if you really want ESE81 you should use Pete's ROM, which is just ESE81 with root.

11. G.Armour

G.Armour You know you want to. VIP Member

I hope it don't take that long, actually U don't think it will. We have alot of smart devs probably already working on it.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

12. theodar

theodar Member

day one of waiting.

13. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member

While I'm sure that's the case, most of the smart devs said it wasn't worth getting the OTA in the first place.

14. wolfentir

wolfentir New Member

So I upgraded to 2.1 on my droid and I just wanted to know if its possible to root the same way as you could on 2.0.1

15. JM33

JM33 Well-Known Member

16. slick_old

slick_old Well-Known Member

You're going to have to wait for a new root exploit for 2.1 (could take 1 day, could take 3 months). Or, you take advantage of the already-existing 2.0.1 exploit by flashing back to it with RSD light (check the root forum for specifics). This is just my personal opinion but I wouldn't think the devs are rushing to find a root exploit for 2.1 when they already have one for 2.0.1 and most of them just cooked the 2.1 update into new ROMs for root users.

17. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

Exactly; you can root 2.0.1 and download a nandroid for an ESE81 ROM and be done with it. There's no need to find an exploit for those running the OTA ESE81, really.

18. xliderider

xliderider Well-Known Member

Pete has already posted an update.zip of ESE81 with root, SU, and the Baseband upgrade.

19. thatisandwas

thatisandwas New Member

Ok guys. Heres my deal. Hate to sound repetitive or like a noob.

I just updated to 2.1 via manual update. I now have 2.1-update1 baseband version C_01.3e.03p kernel 2.6.29-omap1-g7fa8788 android-build@apa26#1 and finally build ESE81.

Sorry for the long windedness.

Can i use the 2.0.1 sbf to downgrade, then root, then use a cooked 2.1 rom to get all the live wallpaper/multi touch goodness?

I think i'm really repeating what a million people have said but i just upgraded from my rooted g1 and am used to cyan's builds and just want to be 100 percent sure before i do anything rash.

I want Root with a very very fast fully functioning cooked rom of 2.1...Where to start?

20. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

if you use an sbf to get back to 2.01 you can then root yes

21. xliderider

thatisandwas, yes that would work. Look for t3hsteve's upgrade.zip file that will flash just the .03P baseband upgrade after you root and load your 2.1 rom, if you use one of the cooked 2.1 roms. There is also an ESE81 rooted rom with SU and the baseband update posted by Pete, so if you use that, you don't have to apply t3hsteve's update.zip

22. droidx

droidx Well-Known Member

ummm i have my nandroid folder still on my phone with all my backups and stuff, if i rooted today and applied one, do you think it would work, or should i start over again??

23. toker11

toker11 Well-Known Member

which one is this? where is it? im using smoked glass 4.0 and ots falling apart on me. soooo unstable!

24. xliderider

25. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

Hello fellow ex G1 user, welcome to the Droid. Things are a little different on this side of the fence as you will probably learn. If you want to keep using Cyanogen ROM's on your Droid (and have 2.1 with livewalls and multi touch) then AFTER you use the 2.0.1 SBF and get your phone rooted goto the market and search for ROM Manager (either the free or paid version will work) and grab it. Now once you installed it go ahead and let it flash Clockwork recovery and then hit Download ROM and choose the Cyanogen/Koush ROM. Make sure you select Google Apps (I'm sure your familiar with this situation) and it will download and flash the ROM for you.

And just so you know Koush has made Cyanogen's ROM for the Droid by building directly from Cyanogen's git repo, and Cyan also endorses Koush's work, He even has a spot on Cyan's site and forum. You can also try other ROM's if you get the paid version of ROM Manager.