• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Of Dogs and Men

K

Kaat72

Dogs smile with their tail. And a boss is a joy for a dog, if properly trained... This thread is a place to share your funniest doggy pics.

Cats and dogs; our life companions. Cats already have their topic here: http://androidforums.com/showthread.php?t=721874
Let's see if we can offer those fur balls some competition ;)

1378743824956.jpg

It's not a funny picture, but I took this one of my pittie. She loves me! :p
She's so cute! And she looks like she could be my beautiful Freddie's twin. :)

Well, since all my children of the canine persuasion are up at Rainbow Bridge now, I can only post pics from back a while.

Here are Freddie Mercury (on the right) and his sister, Queen, on the day we brought them home; they're Great Danes:

FreddieMercuryAndQueen_041799.jpg

And here they are all grown up, playing in their pool:

KidsInPool_082402.jpg

The Fredster with some of his presents on Christmas:

Freddie_122502.jpg

Queenie, with her [feline] brother Ringo watching, as she ate her dinner. She would only eat lying down on the floor. :thinking: :D

QueenAndRingo_012103.jpg

My favorite pic of Queenie:

Queenie_083103.jpg

Freddie snoozing on "his" oversized chair:

Freddie_042804.jpg

Freddie_031706.jpeg

Freddie, proudly wearing his US Marine Corps bandanna my best friend gave him, gazing out over a creek up at Azusa Canyon:

Freddie_AzusaCanyon_091306.jpg

My beautiful Fredster with his favorite toy, just wandering around outside:

FreddieAndTeddyBear_051108.jpg

This one kind of breaks my heart. I took it just a few weeks before Freddie died [in his sleep, in my bedroom]:

Freddie_091908.jpg

I miss them.

Upvote 0
I wish we could have a dog. :(
Combo of super small apartment and limited time at home really prevents us from providing a good home for one.
Cheers to everyone who has a loving companion. :)
More pics, more pics!

You could do well with an English Bulldog. Very minimal amount of exercise required so they're perfect for apartment life.

They're not overly attention grabbing either. Worth a look.

Upvote 0
You could do well with an English Bulldog. Very minimal amount of exercise required so they're perfect for apartment life.

They're not overly attention grabbing either. Worth a look.

My wife loves small dogs as do I, so that'd be a great option. Pugs can sit around all day too. We have a good friend who works for a dog walking group in the area whom we'd trust no problem. But seriously, our place is around 500 sq/ft, I just don't want to rob a pet of some exercise indoors as much as possible.

Reactions: dustwun77
Upvote 0
I wish we could have a dog. :(
Combo of super small apartment and limited time at home really prevents us from providing a good home for one.
Cheers to everyone who has a loving companion. :)

A Cavalier King Charles Spaniel is also a great apartment dweller. Check out the AKC website if you want to see what breed might fit best with your lifestyle.

If I could give any advice for getting puppy it would be meet the puppies parents (they'll be a good indicator of size and temperament) Don't impulse buy a puppy and don't ever buy from a pet store. Buy directly from a breeder.

More pics, more pics!

Here's one from the weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_20130831_061801.jpg
    IMG_20130831_061801.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 115
Upvote 0
not trying to be contrary but my friends who have pets encourage me to get from a shelter instead of a breeder. hmm...which is better?
SHELTER. Yes, I know I'm shouting! :) It's because I know that millions of wonderful dogs and cats are killed every year because of the overpopulation problem, irresponsible owners, and irresponsible breeders. Too many pets, not enough homes. :(

There are rescue organizations for practically any breed. But mutts are nice, too.

If you're dead set on a specific breed, please do your research and try to find a nearby rescue that deals with that breed. But shelters also have purebred dogs. You'd be surprised. So check your local shelters, too.

Upvote 0
Nahhhh jackrussle is the best not to small not so big just smooth and smart :what::rolleyes: and if you love big dogs cause i love em all rottweilers and kita

Jack Russel's are high energy and can be a little barky. Not ideal for apartment life. Of course like people, temperament can vary greatly within any breed so if you can find a laid back JR, then they can be a nice urban dweller.

Upvote 0
not trying to be contrary but my friends who have pets encourage me to get from a shelter instead of a breeder. hmm...which is better?

There are a couple of issues with shelter dogs that I wouldn't recommend for a first time dog owner. First, they are coming from a less then ideal environment and most likely will have some behavior issues that will require a good deal of attention and training to overcome. Think about it, the reason they are in a shelter in the first place is because the owner dumped them there because they couldn't handle them, or they weren't the perfectly well behaved puppy that they expected. Or they could have been rescued from a bad home or situation. Or, they were stray and picked up. With those dogs you really need some experience in behavior and a lot of patience. Most shelters will interview and do do background checks on the prospective owner to make sure the dog won't come back the next week.

Another problem is that you generally don't get much information on lineage. Especially in purebred animals this is necessary to screen out genetic problems. While most shelter dogs will already be fixed so any problems won't be bred further, you may end up with either a short lived dog or a lot of veterinary expense down the road.

Finally you really don't know what you're getting. A cute little puppy that is supposed to be a 20 pound adult might end up growing to 50 or 60 pounds because there is some lab mixed in. By the time they are adults you are emotionally attached to an animal that may not be the right fit for your lifestyle. It's a terrible situation to be in for both owner and animal.

There is a way to genetically check but it costs a little and takes a few weeks. Dog DNA Test, Dog Breed Test - Wisdom Panel Canine DNA Testing | Wisdom Panel

Don't get me wrong. I think the shelters and rescue organizations do a huge service in finding homes for these animals. Our oldest dog (see attached) is a rescue and I wouldn't trade him for anything. He was most likely from a puppy mill and rejected by pet shops because he has a birth defect in his spine that makes one leg weak. He's got a funny little walk and when he runs, he hops like a bunny. He was scheduled to be euthanized when the rescue group snatched him up and fostered him while they looked for a home for him.

Only now after 5 years is he becoming properly socialized with people. He's always been okay with other dogs, but it has been an issue from time to time.

When you buy from a breeder, you can check out the parents and meet the siblings to get a good idea of temperament and health issues. And, with a breeder there is usually some kind of warranty for unforeseen health problems.

Attachments

• DSCF1006.jpg
    DSCF1006.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 82
Reactions: Member243850
Upvote 0
I'm thankful my dog is healthy. She's part lab part pit, so she has the temperament and sweetness of a lab and the muscle mass and courage of a pit.

She didn't inherit the tug of war aspects of pitbulls but boy will she play some fetch! (lab side)

Edit-the healthiness comes from the fact my dogs mix is considered an exceptionally long living and healthy dog.

Upvote 0
SHELTER. Yes, I know I'm shouting! :) It's because I know that millions of wonderful dogs and cats are killed every year because of the overpopulation problem, irresponsible owners, and irresponsible breeders. Too many pets, not enough homes. :(

There are rescue organizations for practically any breed. But mutts are nice, too.

If you're dead set on a specific breed, please do your research and try to find a nearby rescue that deals with that breed. But shelters also have purebred dogs. You'd be surprised. So check your local shelters, too.

Totally agree MoodyOranges!

:-D

Schnoogy is a Rescue Piggy / Stinky Doggy Doggy!!!

She was 2 years old when we got her and look at her now!!!!!

Schnoogy is the most beautiful... wonderful... brightest dog IN THE WHOLE WORLD.

All other dogs suck!

All you dogs are inferior and useless compared to Schnoogy! :)

Schnoogy can do no wrong!

:)

This the great Schnoogy having a snooze on the couch (it was very cold winter. :))

stinky-stinky-albums-stinky-schnooglet-picture7826-my-little-stinky-schnooglet.jpg

And here is the World's GREATEST Dog with her best friend me. :)

stinky-stinky-albums-stinky-schnooglet-picture8108-schnoogy-me.jpg

And here she is just before our usual game of "pork" :D:D:D

(A game of pork is when she has got to try and get to my face and lick it BUT then she gets very excited and BITES my ears and my head!!! :D

Shaw! hehehehee! xD)

Naughty little Schnooger she is the best hey. (God I love her! :))

stinky-stinky-albums-stinky-schnooglet-picture8109-queen-schnoogy-woogy-d.jpg

^^^^ - Wonderful photo of her there! :)

And here she be porking it up sleeping in my bed. :)

(Let beautiful little innocent Schnoogies sleep! :))

stinky-stinky-albums-stinky-schnooglet-picture7981-pork-chops.jpg

She is the BEST dog in the world!

All other dogs are dumb compared to Schnoogy! :)

All other dogs are useless!

She was very scared when we first got her ... poor thing.

:(

:-(

Ohh my poor little Schnoogy...

She was extremely frightened... if I picked up a broom - any long stick she would BOLT scared .....

:'-(

no.

I was angry and wanted to find out who the previous owners were.

I despise animal cruelty.

bloodd boils.

she used to be very timid but we saved each other when I took her in... she saved me in the end. :)

:'-)

She is secretly in charge of this house not me - just the way I like it. :)

stinky-stinky-albums-stinky-schnooglet-picture7980-photo.jpg

AWWWW look at that Stinky FACE.

Stinky!

All your dogs are just loser dogs and inferior!

Schnoogy is better than all of your dogs combined! :)

Did you guys know Schnoogy can knock on doors? :)

I bet you guys your dogs are no where NEAR as smart as that! :)

Reactions: MoodyBlues
Upvote 0
She went from being extremely timid... afraid of everything... she was super afraid and filled with fear when we first got her...

Abusive mother fuschker frackers....

I hate human scum.

I wanted to fund out the previous owners and throw a brick through their window...... yes.

Anf look at the world's greatest, smartest, most fun dog the world has ever seen!

Look at her confidence now!

stinky-stinky-albums-stinky-schnooglet-picture8122-a.jpg

I am proud of you my daughter...

(i must say - i am not 500% happy with her trying to eat things in the bushes.... 2 words. Cape Cobra.

The Cape Cobra is an extremely venomous snake.

I think it is in the top 10?

Dunno but what I do know is it can kill stupid humans.

She would die for sure.

not good.

So I watch her like a hawk when she gets interested in the bushes....

90% of the time it is just lizards and rats... but there is maybe that other 10% that bothers the shit out of me....

that is the part i don't like.

and yes it seriously worries me.

Upvote 0
(i must say - i am not 500% happy with her trying to eat things in the bushes.... 2 words. Cape Cobra.

The Cape Cobra is an extremely venomous snake.

I think it is in the top 10?

According to Wikipedia ...

The Cape cobra is regarded as one of the most dangerous species of cobra in all of Africa, by virtue of its potent venom and frequent occurrence around houses.

Go get Schnoogy some shin guards and a goalie mask from a hockey supply store. He may look like Freddy Kruger, but hell be protected from the koperkapel.

Reactions: Member243850
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones