• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Offered upgrade from other line account number?

ACD168

Android Expert
Apr 30, 2010
So one time as I was talking to a really cool rep about getting another refurb for my Incredible, she offered me to use an upgrade from a family member on my family account. I declined at the time as I was short on cash. I have some money coming in and I have a few questions if anyone would have the time to please help me out.

1) Was this a one time thing or is this normal, will I be able to call Customer Service and be able to do this.

2) I have a two year contract right now. I would like to do this upgrade and open a one year instead, is this what happens? they would drop out the current contract and open the new one giving you the new upgrade phone at whatever plan you now open.

3) If this does all go according to plan, I'd like to keep both phones, or decide which one I like better and make a little profit, $270 after rebate for the Fascinate, and craiglist I bet someone would jump on it for $400 ASAP

4) Also if I keep both phones and use them both there's no reason why my warranty would end on my old phone right? I should still have the one year even though I bought this new phone?

any insight is much appreciated! BTW I am NOT the account holder.

You can add the new phone from the other line with no problem. They must first activate the phone on the current upgradeable line then switch it to your line. Your line will show the old upgrade date but the line you originally took the upgrade will show a new upgrade date. The warranty will not be change because it still your phone and did not get it from some one else. This only works with one account and it does not mater how many line it has.

Upvote 0
If your not the account holder, you might be liable for some actionable events in the future. I would not recommend taking someone else upgrade. I manage 5 lines and everyone know I use each and ever upgrade as the manager (within my family). If they want a new phone, they need to buy one. Perks of the position.

Upvote 0
So one time as I was talking to a really cool rep about getting another refurb for my Incredible, she offered me to use an upgrade from a family member on my family account. I declined at the time as I was short on cash. I have some money coming in and I have a few questions if anyone would have the time to please help me out.

1) Was this a one time thing or is this normal, will I be able to call Customer Service and be able to do this.

2) I have a two year contract right now. I would like to do this upgrade and open a one year instead, is this what happens? they would drop out the current contract and open the new one giving you the new upgrade phone at whatever plan you now open.

3) If this does all go according to plan, I'd like to keep both phones, or decide which one I like better and make a little profit, $270 after rebate for the Fascinate, and craiglist I bet someone would jump on it for $400 ASAP

4) Also if I keep both phones and use them both there's no reason why my warranty would end on my old phone right? I should still have the one year even though I bought this new phone?

any insight is much appreciated! BTW I am NOT the account holder.

1. Yes, my mom does it for my brother all the time. I kinda wish i had another line on my account so I could do it too.
2. I believe you could sign a one-year contract instead, but you won't get as good of a price as you would if you signed a two-year contract.
3. Probably, but see my answer to number 2 before you do the math.
4. One year that would only be redeemable through the manufacturer I believe. Not having the device on their network may change VZW's role in the warranty though, as in they would have you go to the manufacturer for any problems. I could be wrong on that last bit though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones