• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Droid 2 Pre-Release Discussion Thread***

... or they are going to push the 2.2 as soon as people start using them. I would say if it will come with 2.2 and that the people who have used them already had an earlier model that came with 2.1.
The testers that had them with 2.1 got replacement phones. There was no push of 2.2.

Oh, and the "test" phones are sporting BP6X batteries. This doesn't mean production devices will have them, it's just what came with the engineering versions. With these batteries I'd grade the life as fair. A few hours of talking, enabled WiFi and BlueTooth pairing will drain them faaaaast.

Upvote 0
Some pics i saw on DroidLife's twitter:

2R4o

original

Links: http://ow.ly/i/2R5b/original
http://ow.ly/i/2R4o

Upvote 0
Comes with:

MOTOBlur (Like the X has)
Well that pretty much shoots any credibility right there. The DX does not have MOTOBlur, it has a much less intrusive version of Blur that can be easily be modified or substituted anyways.

I'm waiting for the blogger that looks at the original Droid and Droid 2 side-by-side in the pictures and starts posting about how the Droid 2 gets better reception and better battery life as shown by the bars and battery indicator at the top of the screens in the picture. I swear that would be about right for how some rumors get started.

Upvote 0
The DX does not have MOTOBlur, it has a much less intrusive version of Blur

HAHAHAHA talk about credibility, right in the same sentence. Thanks for the laugh, it's no wonder people from GA get such a bad rap regarding intelligence.

Ok how about, its not stock android 2.2. Will that make you feel better? It's apparent how important this trivial stuff is to you.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure what you saw as being an issue with what I said, but check out Droid X Not Running MOTOBLUR, NinjaBlur, AnyBlur | Android Phone Fans. And if you look at Motorola's site and you'll see "Motorola Backflip with MOTOBlur" and "Motorola Devour with MOTOBlur" but you will not see any reference to the Droid X having MOTOBlur. The Droid X, and apparently the Droid 2, instead come with a version of Blur, NinjaBlur or whatever you want to call it, that is much less intrusive and much closer to stock Android than MOTOBlur, for example see http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid-x/135735-blur-x-not-bad-some-say.html. The difference in the UIs was a significant misconception early on for the Droid X and I was just trying to prevent similar confusion for the Droid 2.

Upvote 0
I'm not impressed with it. :p

I'm not wowed by it either..... but having been a life long WinMo user thus far for every device, I AM READY to switch to Android, and it will be a BIG upgrade to someone like me. I love both the Droid X and the Droid 2... but my huge conflicting doubt revolves around the camera differences.

I am sure (well, sort of) 8mp won't be a huge deal breaker compared to the Droid 2's, but I take a lot of pictures, and want a phone I can take on vacation, and produce very nice crisp pictures I can upload and archive on the fly to Face Book and Photo Bucket etc.

Upvote 0
I'm not wowed by it either..... but having been a life long WinMo user thus far for every device, I AM READY to switch to Android, and it will be a BIG upgrade to someone like me. I love both the Droid X and the Droid 2... but my huge conflicting doubt revolves around the camera differences.

I am sure (well, sort of) 8mp won't be a huge deal breaker compared to the Droid 2's, but I take a lot of pictures, and want a phone I can take on vacation, and produce very nice crisp pictures I can upload and archive on the fly to Face Book and Photo Bucket etc.
I actually doubt there will be much significant difference in cameras between the D2 and DX. The big difference will be larger file size, so if you plan on printing posters from your camera phone shots, then definitely go with the DX.

I personally will never understand why people think they can replace their camera with a phone, other than the occassional impromptu shot. These are definitely not meant to be cameras, and if Canon or Nikon started making smartphones, the phone would probably suck, but the camera would be awesome.

Upvote 0
I actually doubt there will be much significant difference in cameras between the D2 and DX. The big difference will be larger file size, so if you plan on printing posters from your camera phone shots, then definitely go with the DX.

I personally will never understand why people think they can replace their camera with a phone, other than the occassional impromptu shot. These are definitely not meant to be cameras, and if Canon or Nikon started making smartphones, the phone would probably suck, but the camera would be awesome.

I never said or thought I could 'replace' a camera with a phone that is a few mm's thick and does 107 functions... I just want a viable device that can take respectable photos when I am out and about and want to snap or document something with ease and convenience. I won't be blowing any pictures up to a poster any larger than 20 or 30 inches, and I'm most concerned about a sensor that can actually take pictures indoors that don't look like something taken from Blair Witch Project haha! :)

Upvote 0
Call customer care. *611, they outta be able to help you out.
Keep it professional and express you are very interested in buying the Droid2 AND Accessories. Make it known that you are wanting to do business with VZ on the 12th.
If you don't get help the first call, you will.
Keep calling ;)
Oh, I will. Been through this before, but back then it wasn't difficult to convince them to do Annual Upgrade at 10 months, but from what I hear, they've gotten far more strict about it. I figure I've spent over $12,000 in service alone (just on my line) since I started my company about 7 years ago. I think I deserve it.

when can we expect reviews?
Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me at all if some of the bigger sites started getting units today or tomorrow. Verizon wants these reviews to start hitting the internet ASAP. For example, I would be surprised if Engadget didn't at least a preliminary review on their site tonight, or first thing in the morning.

Upvote 0
@ckeegan...
My brother bought the Droid1 last November, and got an early upgrade to the X!! So its definitely possible.
Just remember, stay professional and speak strictly business, You along with everyone else is what keeps VZ afloat. They want to keep you happy. :D

I received a free upgrade to the Touch Pro 2 from the original device just by writing three Emails and pleading my case in a very respectful way :)

I would keep trying, but I'm not an expert by ANY means. Good luck! :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones