• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
All this talk about accessories got me thinking about audio quality. One of the things that drives me crazy about my Dinc is the terrible audio quality out of the 3.5mm jack. My brother is a sound engineer and also has an Dinc and complains all the time. He still uses his old iPod Nano which he says sounds better and I agree. For example, when we compare the audio through the AUX in my car the difference is night and day with the Nano winning hands down over the Dinc with the same MP3.

Anyone here have any idea about the audio chips inside? Sound quality? I still use the AUX in my car because bluetooth audio sounds through my Sony sounds terrible. Hoping that is better too with the Gnex.

Can't wait for this!

Reactions: rsb148
Upvote 0
Ugh, Steven. Stop messing with my brain. I am more than hopeful and excited for 11/17 and that it is release date.

But has Verizon officially announced the release date yet?

Can we at least not put things like "Thank the lord!" and a timer until we know OFFICIALLY?

And/or did I miss something else? I'm just tired of getting caught up in the hype. If there's more that I missed (besides the unfinished memo and your source), someone repost or pm me. I've been gone for 2 days and tried to catch up but 2k posts is a bit redonkulous.

The screen shot, Steven's source, Kellex's 11/10, 11/14, 11/17 leak, P3's 11/21 in his hands cryptic message, BMX saying basically the same thing, accessories avail on 11/21, Euro release on 11/17, the Samsung guy saying that the release date hasn't been delayed... am I missing anything?

All circumstantial... but together are pretty convincing.

Upvote 0
The screen shot, Steven's source, Kellex's 11/10, 11/14, 11/17 leak, P3's 11/21 in his hands cryptic message, BMX saying basically the same thing, accessories avail on 11/21, Euro release on 11/17... am I missing anything?

All circumstantial... but together are pretty convincing.

Just waiting for our resident lawyers to chime in too. :D

Upvote 0
I really want a great car mount again! It was so great for navigation, Pandora, movies for long car trips!

But Apple dropped their prices. It's $200 for 16 gb now. Seems like most 32gb phones are about $300 these days (Charge, Razr, Bionic) so I can't imagine there wouldn't be at least a $50 price cut for the 16 gb. It would be silly not to!

Have you used iSyncer before? Did you like it?

I haven't used iSyncr before; it was referred to me by a friend. It's got a lot of positive reviews and the only reason why I haven't tried it yet (Lite version is free) because I do not like the Moto/Gingerbread music players. I tried several music players from the Market and couldn't find one I like. my hopes is that the music player for ICS is either heavily revamped or all-new. So IF I get the Galaxy Nexus and IF I like the music player and IF iSyncr does what it says, THEN I'll get rid of the iPod and streamline my devices. A lot of IFs, so hopefully it all works out.

Hope that helps!

Upvote 0
All this talk about accessories got me thinking about audio quality. One of the things that drives me crazy about my Dinc is the terrible audio quality out of the 3.5mm jack. My brother is a sound engineer and also has an Dinc and complains all the time. He still uses his old iPod Nano which he says sounds better and I agree. For example, when we compare the audio through the AUX in my car the difference is night and day with the Nano winning hands down over the Dinc with the same MP3.

Anyone here have any idea about the audio chips inside? Sound quality? I still use the AUX in my car because bluetooth audio sounds through my Sony sounds terrible. Hoping that is better too with the Gnex.

Can't wait for this!

Check out this discussion on the DAC chip in the GNEX:
What's the DAC, and how is the audio quality on this phone? - xda-developers

Basically, it looks like it doesn't have a wolfson DAC in there, it has a new TI one if I recall that I don't think has been used in a product as of yet. Supposedly the specs on it look good, but we won't know until we get 'em and play with it. I'm reciting this from my poor memory, so I might be off, but what is known is in that XDA thread.

Upvote 0
We can only base things off the information available.

Understood. But all of the current information is speculative and circumstantial. I mean you can't even read the full sentences on the memo and in the article here it says a "work in progress" memo.

The available information says that the device will be out on the 17th, so that is what we can offer right now. Could it change? Of course it could, but an internal document and other sources confirming is typically a pretty good sign. If the date changes then the OP will change, it was happens when you try to offer everyone the latest information on a specified topic.

Yes it could change, which is why I feel like an exclamatory statement (Thank jesus) and a countdown timer might be jumping the gun a bit. I mean technically they could even announce it and have it change, but they haven't even done that yet.

I'm just trying to add some sobriety here. In the two days that I have been gone, the mood here went from I hope that memo is legit but lets not get ahead of ourselves, to Here's my list of accessories I will be getting on the 17th while I play with my phone. And in the meantime, from what I can see, no new information has been added, we just finally summed 4 or 5 speculative unofficial sources together and crossed our fingers.

Upvote 0
I haven't used iSyncr before; it was referred to me by a friend. It's got a lot of positive reviews and the only reason why I haven't tried it yet (Lite version is free) because I do not like the Moto/Gingerbread music players. I tried several music players from the Market and couldn't find one I like. my hopes is that the music player for ICS is either heavily revamped or all-new. So IF I get the Galaxy Nexus and IF I like the music player and IF iSyncr does what it says, THEN I'll get rid of the iPod and streamline my devices. A lot of IFs, so hopefully it all works out.

Hope that helps!

It does! I think we are all suffering from 'if' syndrome. ha. I'll be curious to hear how it all works out for you. I have two iPod touches at the moment - I would like to get rid of one (the other was a gift and is engraved) and be a little bit more streamlined. But I'm also finding that I like some separation between my devices. For instance, I frequently forget to take pictures with my phone because I think of it as a communication device. So now I use my touch as a camera on the fly. (I have a nice camera like some other members for real photography or special events). At the same time, I would very much like to make my phone my primary music device beyond Pandora.

Upvote 0
I even said it's an entry level dSLR. I actually have 10 super high quality lenses for my old SLR, but I don't think they have adapters for them. But I hardly used that camera anymore, and used the standard lens 99% of the time. So I can't honestly justify the expense for some new ones when the kit ones work fine.

If I ever get to a point where I need some fast glass, then I'll spring for some nice lenses.

You did the direct opposite of my philosophy. I got a really old mildly used dSLR (30d...think it was released in 2006, maybe earlier) for cheap and used the rest of my budget on glass.

Reactions: bradm77
Upvote 0
Searched for this and got this "VLC-neon.apk" as a possible download for VLC and this link looked pretty promising.

[APP] VLC for Android Pre-Alpha - xda-developers

however I do have to use astro to open video files with it.

edit: Dang, to late, someone already hooked you guys up! :)
Thanks for the headsup on that app it doesn't seem work too well for me. It's quite laggy on the touch pad and doesn't even work on my captivate :(

Upvote 0
You did the direct opposite of my philosophy. I got a really old mildly used dSLR (30d...think it was released in 2006, maybe earlier) for cheap and used the rest of my budget on glass.

It's all about the glass. Just wish I could afford some - although I have a micro 4/3rds (GH1 with a hack) and those Panny kit lenses are very nice and very very popular. I'm hoping to invest in a few more adapters this year and get a few more lenses.

Reactions: bradm77
Upvote 0
I actually have 10 super high quality lenses for my old SLR, but I don't think they have adapters for them.

Don't be so sure. If you don't mind manual focus then adapters are available to mate the Canon EF mount with most common (and some not-so-common) others.

I can't honestly justify the expense for some new ones when the kit ones work fine.

Top-grade fancy-shmancy glass is very nice, but weighs a ton, requires a camera body and support system that will do it justice, and still doesn't guarantee a good photograph. If the images you're capturing with your current setup please you, that's all that really matters. Making photographs beats poring over gear lists any day.... except maybe the cold wet ones. :D

Upvote 0
Not sure if this has been posted before. Could be the tail wagging the dog (they heard from us and when they post it gives credibility to the rumor):

[Rumor] Samsung Galaxy Nexus Date Confirmed for November 17th

According to a recent report over at AndroidCommunity, the Samsung Galaxy Nexus release date has been confirmed by a Samsung to be November 17th. For now, we are filing this in the "rumor" category, simply because there is no additional corroboration, nor quoted statements for the claim. Still, this does confirm the rumors we reported previously, so more than likely we can consider it pretty firm.
AndroidCommunity is a British site so it just might be regurgitating what we already know about the European launch.

I don't judge the info, just passing it on.

Upvote 0
Understood. But all of the current information is speculative and circumstantial. I mean you can't even read the full sentences on the memo and in the article here it says a "work in progress" memo.

Yes it could change, which is why I feel like an exclamatory statement (Thank jesus) and a countdown timer might be jumping the gun a bit. I mean technically they could even announce it and have it change, but they haven't even done that yet.

I'm just trying to add some sobriety here. In the two days that I have been gone, the mood here went from I hope that memo is legit but lets not get ahead of ourselves, to Here's my list of accessories I will be getting on the 17th while I play with my phone. And in the meantime, from what I can see, no new information has been added, we just finally summed 4 or 5 speculative unofficial sources together and crossed our fingers.

We are all trying for a bit of sobriety but on the other hand it's more fun to ride the crazy train and speculate wildly. PLUS we do have a lot of things pointing to that date. If it changes, it changes. I'm not trying to be inflammatory but most of us are appreciative of the little bit of info we do get and like seeing the changes in the title.

It does! I think we are all suffering from 'if' syndrome. ha. I'll be curious to hear how it all works out for you. I have two iPod touches at the moment - I would like to get rid of one (the other was a gift and is engraved) and be a little bit more streamlined. But I'm also finding that I like some separation between my devices. For instance, I frequently forget to take pictures with my phone because I think of it as a communication device. So now I use my touch as a camera on the fly. (I have a nice camera like some other members for real photography or special events). At the same time, I would very much like to make my phone my primary music device beyond Pandora.

Phone is for camera/texting/actual phone. Music still goes on my nano so I can tune everything else out at the gym. I do need to be disconnected during a workout or I don't get a good one.

Reactions: OfTheDamned
Upvote 0
Not sure if this has been posted before. Could be the tail wagging the dog (they heard from us and when they post it gives credibility to the rumor):

AndroidCommunity is a British site so it just might be regurgitating what we already know about the European launch.

I don't judge the info, just passing it on.

I think I saw the OP on AndroidCommunity. Pretty sure it was referring to the Euro launch.

Upvote 0

Your concerns are valid.

My point of view on this is similar, but with a different predicted outcome:

1. Under attack two days ago.
2. Praise the Lord, yesterday.
3. Pass the ammunition, this morning.
4. Declare victory and look for accessories, presently.
5. Next up - best shoes to match the new phone accessories, in the existing Lounge thread.
6. ???
7. Profit!

Reactions: OfTheDamned
Upvote 0
Your concerns are valid.

5. Next up - best shoes to match the new phone accessories, in the existing Lounge thread.
6. ???
7. Profit!

Is that our itinerary Cruise Director Early? :p I like it.... and I think black heels will by my choice. ;)

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Your concerns are valid.

6. What's the first thing you're taking a pic of with the phone
7. Profit!

Well said CD EM

Is that our itinerary Cruise Director Early? :p I like it.... and I think black heels will by my choice. ;)

I think my leopard print with red heel and platform will be my choice.

tsk tsk, he said in the lounge thread ;)

:D

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones