• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly don't think Verizon know. If Samsung UK can come out on Friday and announce the UK release date as the 17th, then 3 days later it looks like it's getting pushed back to the 2nd Dec, then how would an operator know the correct date. I think it's Samsung you need to be annoyed with, not VZW.
I have to believe that with this as with anything in business that costs a lot of money to produce and market that there are contractual contingencies.

Meaning, product X must be completed by Samsung and ready to market by this date. Verizon must release product X by this date. Or penalties ensue.

Just like buying or building a house. You must agree to occupy by a certain date. Or if you sign a contract and leave early there is an EFT.

Even if you pay something off to soon there are penalties. My point is anytime a contract comes into play there are always deadlines.

NOTICE THI IS JUST MY GUESS AND OR OPINION!!!

Upvote 0
True. But I want a phone without a UI to muck it up. And I would like to enjoy my phone without feeling like I have to flash roms to get that way.

Eh..been on the OG Droid since it came out and I stayed vanilla for all of a couple of weeks. I've been flashing ROMs ever since. I pretty much settled on Cyanogenmod after about 6 months or so. Bottom line is, I'll probably flash ROMs on whatever phone I get, the only thing the Nexus had going for it in my eyes is it is the first with ICS. Hardware doesn't impress me on it. I really expected something a little more groundbreaking. Dissappointment came in the form of the processor, the battery, and the pentile screen (I'm not a pentile basher, but I think we can all agree a 720p non-pentile would have been better, even if marginally better). I know it's all probably a moot point, but I really did expect at least one groundbreaking technology on this phone and there wasn't.

Upvote 0
Really? This argument again? Keep waiting for the "next big thing" and stay in limbo the rest of your life.

yes S3 is right around the corner

yes 3 months after SGN gets released, something will blow it away

yes quad core devices and a 3D 1080p HD screen thats a perfect fit in anybody's hand will be out the day after the S3 gets release

yes the sun will rise tomorrow therefore you can wait if you want to

Go ahead and keep waiting. I'm going to buy a phone.

Hey bud, you do what you gotta do. I'm not arguing, I'm just stating what I'm considering doing and why I'm considering it. Nobody's forcing you to do the same. I don't think Quad core phones are coming in 2012 and if they do it will be few and far between and very late in the year. I have no interest in Quad core right now because OS's barely take advantage of dual core. I am also not interested in 3D screens or 1080p screens. I want a solid 720p screen with a tech that isn't regarded as "meh" technology. I want a processing unit that off-loads to a lower power core for everyday tasks and then springs to life with the powerful cores when needed. I would also like a battery closer to the 2000 mAh range, thinness of the phone be damned. I didn't care about thickness of my OG Droid and I won't care about my next phone either.

Upvote 0
Apple launches are overhyped every year. I knew about what to expect with the iPhone 4s. I knew they wouldn't release a redesigned iPhone 5. I do suspect they will do that next year though. I love the openness of Android, but I hate they way they handle releases and updates. Apple has got it right. They control it all. They tell you when they are going to announce the phone and they tell you at the announcement when the phone is going to be available....Verizon/AT&T/T-mobile marketing departments be damned...this is our phone and you'll release it when we tell you to. If Samsung and Google had done this with the Nexus, then we wouldn't be having this discussion. Instead they announce they are having a presser on Oct 11th (or whatever the date was) then they delay that indefinitely but "soon" and finally we find out about that. Then at that presser, they give no release timeframe other than "this year". This is where Apple does a much better job. When they have the presser, you know the phone will be coming within a week or two before they even have the event. They then confirm the release date at the event. End of story, everyone knows when they will get their phone, and there is no paranoia.

Well if that is something that really is a key point for you, then the only option on Android for you is a Nexus. Because everyone here who doesn't have a Nexus is drooling at the thought of getting updates right away (what does that tell you about anything other than Nexus). And yes Apple is more reliable perhaps, but Google updates their phones when there is something worthwhile to update it with, they aren't tied to a date. If that is a problem for you, not sure there is anything that can be done to help.

Upvote 0
In other news, the brand new AT&T Galaxy S2 Skyrocket (which is their 4G version of the GS2) was slashed to $149.99.

Really good deal if you're on AT&T, if you ask me. I would be tempted if I wasn't on Verizon.

Edit: ah, I was led astray. The AT&T website still says $249.99 (which is still better than Verizon's prices for a 4G phone, sigh...) so whatever article I read was just lying. Nothing to see here folks :eek:

From what I understand it depends where you live. You will get different prices.I know here it's 250 for the phone.I was really tempted to get it but holding strong for an ics phone otb

Upvote 0
I look at it as a way to pass time with people just as nutty as me.

Hey I am not as nutty as you. :D On a side note I think it is Stevens fault the phone is getting pushed back. He told Verizon he wants this pre release thread to be larger then the DInc thread before they release the phone. Steven better start running! :p

Reactions: Steven58
Upvote 0
Hey I am not as nutty as you. :D On a side note I think it is Stevens fault the phone is getting pushed back. He told Verizon he wants this pre release thread to be larger then the DInc thread before they release the phone. Steven better start running! :p

Steven58 stays running.. actually, i did three miles yesterday. I also had a running dream, I guess because yesterday was the NYC marathon, which I had run twice.

Upvote 0

Nuttier I'm sure. :D:p

Steven58 stays running.. actually, i did three miles yesterday. I also had a running dream, I guess because yesterday was the NYC marathon, which I had run twice.

Wow! The only way I'm running 3 miles is if it's in an air-conditioned/heated gym on an elliptical. :)

Upvote 0
Here is TC's review of the RAZR just for some morning reading: Motorola Droid RAZR Review: So Close, Yet So Far | TechCrunch

No news on the SGN front though huh? I want to get frustrated, but I just can't wait for this phone. Everytime I feel like waiting for 1Q12 to get something I see a commercial or re-check the images of the SGN and change my mind all over again.

Yay!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones