• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official HTC Incredible Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy crap....I refreshed and there was nothing new. That hasn't happened in forever. Time to fix that lol.

Regarding the POTENTIAL May release for the phone, sucks that it's that far off, but I'll keep waiting. N1 seems to be having too many issues for my taste. My NE2 was up last month, but I'll hang tight for now. I'm really wishing I had another one of my XV6900 (Touch) phones laying around since I found out the Desire's ROM can run on it. I really have no major time hands on with SENSE or Android.

Regarding the patent lawsuit, I did some research. Now, I'm not an expert in patent law. I did, however, stay at a Holiday Inn last night. Jk, but I have hand an mixed grad/undergrad class in computer law, with a heavy emphasis on patent law. I checked out the article breaking down each patent's details, and it seems like the large majority are OS level issues (as we've discussed already). While this may seem like a good thing to some, as it SHOULD be fixable, it is actually quite bad. First of all, reading through the patents, they are SO generic, they really ought not have been granted in the first place. Sadly, the USPTO isn't exactly known for having programmers and software engineers sitting around. Patents like these are the reason there is a MASSIVE suit that could result in software and business methods being unpatentable. That aside, I'll explain why these OS level claims are such a big problem.

Likely these will fail in the suit against HTC. Why is that bad? Well, the court will likely say that HTC is not responsible for implementing the OS, Google is for coding it in an infringing manner (and with these patents, its a wonder WinMo and every other operating system, mobile or otherwise, isn't being sued). Apple will use this to proceed with a case against Google, citing the prior ruling/recommendation for support, and depending on the ultimate ruling, even using it as case law. Apple will seek an injunction against Google, and if they get it, EVERY Android user and manufacturer with plans to use Android will suffer. MS saw a similar result when they were temporarily banned from selling recent versions of Office due to the XML infringement. If the injunction is granted, there will be no new Android phones from any manufacturer, no OTA updates (maybe), no OS updates (unless they are a rework from the ground up or they opt to pay massive royalties), and possibly other unforeseen consequences. Now, patent litigation take a$$loads of time and money, both of which Google and Apple have. However, an injunction would be strong pressure for Google to settle and modify the OS. Some of those patents are....well....impossible to get around. Nokia, Microsoft, and (I think) RIM are having to deal with these in other suits. That means royalty payments. Ouch. This is a huge problem. The Incredible should hit shelves long before this is resolved, unless they somehow get the injunction against HTC. It might still slip in though. It will, though, likely affect updates to our beloved phone and may result in the Bob-Barkerizing of certain aspects of our phones in the distant future.

Phew, that's all I've got for now. Time to go back to my Psychology studies. Dang tests getting in the way of my forum time....

Edit: There's a reason I dropped out of the Computer Science department here. My coding skills are horrendous. I say the patents are impossible to get around, but honestly, I'm likely wrong. They just SEEM that way to me.

I'm not trying to be a dick or anything, but there's a different thread here to discuss the pending legal battle between Apple and HTC. The posts were clogging up this thread too much, so it was decided to start a different thread for that discussion.

Upvote 0
BTW, I am blocking my last name out lol, sorry.

"Good Evening Mr. ****,

Thank you for contacting Verizon Wireless through our website. My name is Christie and I would like the opportunity to assist you with your inquiry regarding the release date of the HTC Incredible, and if the Apple lawsuit against HTC will have any affect on Verizon Wireless current or future HTC phones. I understand your excitement regarding the new Android Smartphone and would like to only purchase this particular phone and I am happy to assist you.

Mr. ****, currently, Verizon Wireless does not offer the HTC Incredible. I am unable to provide information regarding which equipment is being considered or approximate release dates, as this may raise expectations that may not be met.

Although we do not have the handset you are looking for at this time, you may also receive free e-mail updates as to when new products and services are available. To receive your free e-mail update, please click on the following link to view the "E-mail Updates" page of our website:

Be the First to Know

There are several wireless phones being tested for functionality and reliability with our network. Verizon Wireless will not offer a product or service unless it meets the high standards our customers have come to expect. Verizon Wireless is constantly improving the services, features, and wireless phones we offer to our customers for their communication needs.

In regards to the Apple lawsuit I am unable to provide any information regarding any details on the Apple lawsuit. If our customers will be impacted we will be sure to communicate the information to our customers.

Mr. ****, I hope the information I have provided has been helpful regarding the release date of the HTC Incredible and if the Apple Lawsuit will affect our customers you will be notified. Please respond to the email if you have any additional questions or concerns.

It has been a pleasure assisting you today. We appreciate the time you have taken to contact us. You are a valued customer, and we appreciate the opportunity to service your wireless needs. Thank you for choosing Verizon Wireless.

Sincerely,

Christie
Verizon Wireless
Customer Service"

Make of it what you will.

i asked vw the same question and got the same response.. a guy actually called me and said he has never heard of it but he has heard of the nexus one but couldnt comment on it

Upvote 0
Hi everyone. I've been reading here for a while and decided it was time to make an account and contribute.
Anyways judging from what droid padawan mentioned about a release date and all the previous rumors which nearly all point to a march or april release, I feel like it's possible/likely we may see a march 23rd announcement, but an april release.
However, I'm not an expert on Verizon/HTC's release strategy - is there normally a significant gap between formal announcement and release?
After going through the rumored dates again, I'm going to guess a late march-early april release for the Nexus One and a late april-early may for the Incredible

Upvote 0
I'm not trying to be a dick or anything, but there's a different thread here to discuss the pending legal battle between Apple and HTC. The posts were clogging up this thread too much, so it was decided to start a different thread for that discussion.

Absolutely understood, but since I tried to relate it to the Incredible release timeline, I figured it at least bore relevance here. I'll delete and repost.

EDIT: Reposted here

Reactions: pequeajim
Upvote 0
Ok here is something to consider. Think about how much info you can accumulate on the Incredible with 1 hour of Googling and understand that a Verizon rep gets the same info except accurate and not an estimate of what is in the phone. You all have been talking to Verizon customer service reps, not Verizon technical assistance reps. Being in sales you could teach someone about a new product to sell within a few hours or 1 day max especially if you provide them documentation and give them a quick course on it. These reps will probably not know anything about the phone until within a week of its release.

Upvote 0
Ok here is something to consider. Think about how much info you can accumulate on the Incredible with 1 hour of Googling and understand that a Verizon rep gets the same info except accurate and not an estimate of what is in the phone. You all have been talking to Verizon customer service reps, not Verizon technical assistance reps. Being in sales you could teach someone about a new product to sell within a few hours or 1 day max especially if you provide them documentation and give them a quick course on it. These reps will probably not know anything about the phone until within a week of its release.
I believe at this point, some of us are more interested in the release date before we even get into the specs, thus the CS reps would be the ones you would want to talk to; not the tech support reps. And having worked retail for a large portion of my life, I can guarentee you that release dates and future products are revealed roughly 3-4 weeks before the actual date (obviously this differs between companies but i'd say that would be a reasonable ballpark estimate), whether its the actual physical product shrink wrapped on a pallet or their system inventory showing the product name

Upvote 0
Sorry if this is off topic,

@Droid padawn 316 do you have access to sprint also? The Supersonic?

This thread has alot of good sleuths, and the supersonic thread is not moving anywhere.
I'd say this post would be more fit as a private message than a post on this thread. It'd avoid the clutter and you having to defend why you are asking the question (I'm saying this in the nicest way possible and am in no way trying to be hostile towards you):)

Upvote 0
I believe at this point, some of us are more interested in the release date before we even get into the specs, thus the CS reps would be the ones you would want to talk to; not the tech support reps. And having worked retail for a large portion of my life, I can guarentee you that release dates and future products are revealed roughly 3-4 weeks before the actual date (obviously this differs between companies but i'd say that would be a reasonable ballpark estimate), whether its the actual physical product shrink wrapped on a pallet or their system inventory showing the product name

I assume you have already seen the pictures of the Incredible in inventory already as they have been circulating for nearly a week now. Still doesn't prove anything since the Droid Eris sat in inventory since Septemper 09 and wasn't announced as being available until November 09. Going by that date range we can expect an approximate mid-April release.

Upvote 0
I assume you have already seen the pictures of the Incredible in inventory already as they have been circulating for nearly a week now. Still doesn't prove anything since the Droid Eris sat in inventory since Septemper 09 and wasn't announced as being available until November 09. Going by that date range we can expect an approximate mid-April release.
..which is exactly the month thats being rumored.

Upvote 0
..which is exactly the month thats being rumored.

Which is not March 23rd as it was claimed to be a dual-release with the N1 by some parties saying they were close to the scene. Which means a mid-April is the soonest we will see it and Verizon is using us clamoring for it as free advertising while they dangle a carrot above our heads with nary a mention of when we will get it.

My point is, I'll believe it when I see it not when someone claims it will arrive without any actual evidence. At least that way we can avoid any disappointment when the release date comes and goes and we are still left wondering when we will finally get our incredible Incredible.

Upvote 0
Which is not March 23rd as it was claimed to be a dual-release with the N1 by some parties saying they were close to the scene. Which means a mid-April is the soonest we will see it and Verizon is using us clamoring for it as free advertising while they dangle a carrot above our heads with nary a mention of when we will get it.

My point is, I'll believe it when I see it not when someone claims it will arrive without any actual evidence. At least that way we can avoid any disappointment when the release date comes and goes and we are still left wondering when we will finally get our incredible Incredible.
Regarding your first paragraph, I'm not sure if youre just here to troll or actually contribute something to the thread. Have you even bothered reading the past few pages? The March 23rd day for a dual release has all but been discredited and at this point, seems more logical for just an N1 announcement (possibly at CTIA). We've already had April/May being mentioned several times by several sources.

As for your second paragraph, no one is forcing you to believe anything. Again, I think we've already gone over this quite extensively earlier and if you did not bother reading it, I'd advise you take a look at some of the previous posts regarding the rumors (and I highly emphasize, RUMORS) being posted. None of this is set in stone and is one of those things where you "take it for what its worth."

Upvote 0
1st of all, I want thank everyone for the kind words. I will try my best to report what I know as soon as I can. We're all in this waiting game together.

I'd say this post would be more fit as a private message than a post on this thread. It'd avoid the clutter and you having to defend why you are asking the question (I'm saying this in the nicest way possible and am in no way trying to be hostile towards you):)[/QUOTE)

Ah c'mon, 1 more off topic post won't hurt, lol. Unfortunately, our Wireless Center doesn't sell Sprint phones. I personally only know 1 Sprint rep from near where I work. Don't worry, if I hear anything I'll post it for you.

Reactions: Norril and KRD
Upvote 0
1st of all, I want thank everyone for the kind words. I will try my best to report what I know as soon as I can. We're all in this waiting game together.

I'd say this post would be more fit as a private message than a post on this thread. It'd avoid the clutter and you having to defend why you are asking the question (I'm saying this in the nicest way possible and am in no way trying to be hostile towards you):)

Ah c'mon, 1 more off topic post won't hurt, lol. Unfortunately, our Wireless Center doesn't sell Sprint phones. I personally only know 1 Sprint rep from near where I work. Don't worry, if I hear anything I'll post it for you.
Heh, which was why I was trying to sound as nice as possible in that post. I figured asking him to not post that would avoid everyone from trying to start asking about other phones - at which point it'd probably get out of hand ;)

Upvote 0
Regarding your first paragraph, I'm not sure if youre just here to troll or actually contribute something to the thread. Have you even bothered reading the past few pages? The March 23rd day for a dual release has all but been discredited and at this point, seems more logical for just an N1 announcement (possibly at CTIA). We've already had April/May being mentioned several times by several sources.

As for your second paragraph, no one is forcing you to believe anything. Again, I think we've already gone over this quite extensively earlier and if you did not bother reading it, I'd advise you take a look at some of the previous posts regarding the rumors (and I highly emphasize, RUMORS) being posted. None of this is set in stone and is one of those things where you "take it for what its worth."

Calm down buddy no need to get upset with me over this. I'm not here to troll as I want an Incredible as much as the next guy. I just think at this point drilling anyone for information will turn up nothing as people are either being extremely tight-lipped to protect their jobs or honestly don't know since Verizon is probably going to keep it under wraps as long as possible so the 30-day return periods of Droids and Droid Erises can expire or just to build momentum in the free advertising machine for the pending release.

Don't bother responding about the upset part as I'm not looking to make this personal with you. Keep it on topic with me about the Incredible as I have been with you.

Upvote 0
Calm down buddy no need to get upset with me over this. I'm not here to troll as I want an Incredible as much as the next guy. I just think at this point drilling anyone for information will turn up nothing as people are either being extremely tight-lipped to protect their jobs or honestly don't know since Verizon is probably going to keep it under wraps as long as possible so the 30-day return periods of Droids and Droid Erises can expire or just to build momentum in the free advertising machine for the pending release.

Don't bother responding about the upset part as I'm not looking to make this personal with you. Keep it on topic with me about the Incredible as I have been with you.
Not upset at all. Just trying to explain why all of us on this thread are still working so hard to dig up any info about the Incredible, while at the same time trying to inform you on some information that you may have been misinformed on about the phone release date. We've been getting bits and pieces of information here and there, and I for one, don't plan on giving up until I finally see an official release date

Upvote 0
Remember the countdown clock they did for the Droid? I assume they will do something like that with the Incredible but not the N1 since it is pretty unlikely they will sell the N1 in VZW stores since Google probably has a good reason to be selling it through the site or maybe because Google just wants to test out different forms of advertising. Either way I think a Google release of the N1 is to be expected and a build-up and release of the Incredible is to be expected as well. We already know the Incredible is in Verizon's hands for testing as Mr. Singh already has one which means Verizon obviously already has one. It is just the waiting game at this point.

Upvote 0
Remember the countdown clock they did for the Droid? I assume they will do something like that with the Incredible but not the N1 since it is pretty unlikely they will sell the N1 in VZW stores since Google probably has a good reason to be selling it through the site or maybe because Google just wants to test out different forms of advertising. Either way I think a Google release of the N1 is to be expected and a build-up and release of the Incredible is to be expected as well. We already know the Incredible is in Verizon's hands for testing as Mr. Singh already has one which means Verizon obviously already has one. It is just the waiting game at this point.
Hopefully it will be something like that. I would love to watch a clock rather than guessing at random dates:)

And I REALLY hope that Google decides to let VZW just sell the phone in-store.. I'd prefer to have the option of deciding between the two phones (just incase I don't like the specs of the Incredible) instead of being defaulted into buying the Incredible

Upvote 0
Then you really wouldn't believe anything he said. Geez. First the red back and now this guy. No pleasing you Nash. :)

No, I'm just saying...if you have some information, give it to us. Don't open a membership to a forum and then give us something so vague and limited that we aren't even sure what you're trying to say. I'm not hard to please, I just want "informants" to actually INFORM us of something. For crying out loud, is it so much to ask for an insider to actually GIVE us some inside information? Geez...I'm about to pull my freakin' hair out here! Seriously ridiculous!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones