• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

"Offline" entertainment suggestions

Okay so... Like I'm sure many of you have done, I went broke buying my new Android phone. I'm the proud owner of a Mytouch 3g Slide- A totally SWEET phone that unfortunately was quite expensive on my cellphone bill.

So my mobile service has been cut off for a few weeks whilst I round up the cash to pay for this sucker. Now I am left with a beautiful, powerful "phone" that for all intents and purposes can be used like a laptop. Now here is where I need help from the community:

I've heard on the grapevine that you can do many "phone" activities on Android by just using a (common and easily available) wifi connection with no intervention from the cellphone towers whatsoever. I've been doing a bit of research on my own here but I'm really interested in what ideas you might offer.

As far as my daily activities go, I'm a big fan of Wikipedia. What I like to do is spend my long hours of bussing to work browsing wikipedia and expanding my mind. An ideal solution for me would be an offline wikipedia (perhaps saved to a SD card?) For this purpose I have downloaded WikiDroyd - but there's one problem. I CAN'T FIND AN ENGLISH BOOK FOR IT! The only "book" that wikidroyd seems to have available is the "simple english" book (which sucks balls). Can anyone direct me to where I can download the (full or even partial is good enough for me) English offline wikipedia book for Wikidroyd?

In that same vein, I'm looking for a decent way to archive webpages (at home or on the phone, either way) to the SD card so I can peruse them later on (offline) at my leisure. I can't seem to find a good app that does this. Any suggestions? This is perhaps my most pressing desire, because it's the thing i would do most when I'm bored with my phone.

In addition to that, I'm looking for a reliable way to text message people over wifi - I've been using AIM for android up until now, which leaves a little to be desired in reliability - sometimes i don't get my IMs for hours after they are sent, which is bothersome because sometimes I only have a few minutes on wifi before I gotta jet.

Finally, I'm searching for a reliable way to make voice calls (to a PHONE NUMBER, not to another "insert app here" user) over wifi. What do you use? What do you suggest?

I'm also open to any suggestions anyone might have for useful offline ways to occupy myself with this phone. Currently I'm also playing a lot of SNES- are there any other cool games or things to do for free?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones