• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Offline Google Maps has NEVER worked right

I use CoPilot which will do completely offline navigation or follow along. Some features require connectivity, but the maps and nav don't. Not even for setting up a route. The entire map base is installed on you phone, so you need to take storage into account. I think North America (US, Mexico, & Canada) is about 2.1GB. I load the northeast and it is about 450MB.

Thanks so much, I'll check it out!

Reactions: Unforgiven
Upvote 0
UPDATE: Well, I've been using Google Maps (version 9.85.2) offline and so far, it's working as it should. I just can't understand how all 3 of my Android devices won't run the latest versions of Google Maps properly (offline maps with no cell data).

Again, I can't even download and install an offline map with the latest versions of Google Maps, I get the "couldn't download" error. (That is true for my 2 Android tablets and my smart phone.)

One of those minor unsolved mysteries in tech-world life. I can't be the only one in the world with this issue, but then again, I can't find ANY other reference online of people having this issue.

Who cares, I'll just continue to use the out-dated version 9.85.2 until it doesn't work any longer.

Reactions: Unforgiven
Upvote 0
Late to the party here, but had to join the forum just to show support on this one issue. (Wax Bean) you're right - I can't find any other mention on this subject in the universe other than 1,000 generic "fix google maps!" ad-laden sites. I've had exactly the same issue and simply can't believe no one else has... as I've had it now for probably two years across four devices of various brands and revisions. My guess is there just aren't that many folks not contracted into an unlimited data plan. I use pre-paid data on all my devices that have mobile data, and leave it off unless necessary. I then see this issue all the time; Google offline maps works great one day, then suddenly starts behaving like it's working with only downloaded cache. If I've been to a full-zoom/resolution "block" recently, I'll have full detail for that block of the map, but other blocks I haven't visited recently are in "base map" mode with ultra-low resolution (triangular lakes, only interstates or state routes showing, and no points of interest).

What makes it odd, and is key to this whole weird condition, is that the data exists - Maps knows where all those POIs are, what their hours and phone numbers are, it just won't display them unless searched on individually. And then it puts the pin down on an otherwise blank area. "Your store is here, open till 10pm, here's their phone number... but they're invisible...." Same with roads. It knows they're there, but won't display them. To Wax Bean's point; I can navigate down those roads, they just don't appear on the map. If I didn't have the map, navigation would have failed with "no route exists", but that's not what happens. The blue line shows up, going down invisible roads, and voice knows "turn right, turn left" during navigation, and all the road names are listed on the textual "steps" page, I'm just on an otherwise empty screen. The full map exists, and Google knows it's there - it just chooses not to display it. One tap of "mobile data" and bam - it all comes flooding back. And faster than it could download. I don't appear to be using enough data to re-download any portion of the map, it's just like Maps is mad that it hasn't been tickled lately. My best interpretation or analogy is that navigation is running off of the offline map, but the graphics are using separate cache data. Turning on mobile data (or wifi) somehow wakes it back up and it then backfills the cache with offline maps. Which lasts until the next time it purges some old cache then goes offline.

As for coincidences or influencing factors; three of my devices I DO have maps loaded on external SD card, but the fourth device experiencing the problem only has internal memory. I would entertain the SD-card-related theory if it weren't for the fact that, again, the data is there - it's just not displaying on the map. I also have multiple versions of Maps running on each device, from Maps 9.x.x.x to 10.77.0. One device is an old Nexus, one a recent Samsung, one an older Motorola, and a recent Motorola. All have the issue from time to time. Restarting Maps and/or the device does nothing. The only "fix" is either re-enabling data and then viewing the desired "blocks". Alternatively removing and re-downloading an offline map "fixes" the entire map. "Removing Google Maps" (uninstalling updates) and reinstalling only works in so much as it re-downloads the offline map.

The only coincidence remaining in my head is that I didn't notice this ill behavior until about the time Google extended their offline maps expiration from a month to a year. Unknown if the fresher maps didn't have time to begin experiencing (what I'm calling "the cache") problem, but my current "workaround" is to simply make sure and update my offline maps every week or so, whether they need it or not. That seems to keep things fresh and avoid the issue.

Not suggesting this as a solution - I'd love to hear what the "real" answer is. But I maintain that it would probably happen to any device, it's just that Wax Bean and myself may be the only people not daily connected to data.

Reactions: puppykickr
Upvote 0
Capt KirkF, THANK YOU so much for posting this!! I thought I was the only one observing this issue. So much of what you said is spot on. "My guess is there just aren't that many folks not contracted into an unlimited data plan."--I thought this as well.
"I can navigate down those roads, they just don't appear on the map." -- Yes, exactly, all the data is still in there.

"One tap of "mobile data" and bam - it all comes flooding back." -- Yes, same exact experience. That works great for a phone with mobile data, but if someone is using their tablet with Google maps, they're outta luck. That was my frustration before getting a smart phone. I would have to find a local fast-food restaurant, or library, with free WIFI to get the damn map back lol.

It's funny you posted this when you did, because I was going to give an update on my experience. My Smartphone seems to be working correctly now. I decided that I would update to the latest version of maps, and keep auto-update on (I was getting sick of manually updating all apps every day). I figured I would just have to access Google maps before leaving home (with WIFI) so that data would be "refreshed" (like one tap of "mobile data" out on the road).

But for the last couple weeks now, it's been working (knocking on wood). Whether I have phone on before I leave home, or if I turn it on out on the road (no internet access), the map loads now. No missing streets that I can see so far.

I think maybe it was a software update from Google that hopfully fixed the problem, because I didn't change any settings from when it wasn't working under same conditions. Current version of Google Maps I have is version 10.79.1. When I was noticing all the problems, I had version 10.68.1 and 10.69.0

I have not tried my two tablets with latest version yet, just my smart phone, so that is a key point.

One question I don't have, is if the data I am showing on map is fully "detailed". I guess I'll have to try accessing mobile data out on a drive and see if point of interest appear, or more detailed rivers/lakes etc. It looks detailed "enough" though, I'm happy with it. I just hope it continues lol.

Thanks again for taking the time for the lengthy post on this issue. I'm still amazed it's hard to find others with same issue, but yeah, I only keep about 2 GB of data on the phone for emergencies. Tons of free-wifi places if I need to browse email, web surf etc.

Hope your Google map experience changes for the better.

Shawn (Wax Bean Tycoon)

Late to the party here, but had to join the forum just to show support on this one issue. (Wax Bean) you're right - I can't find any other mention on this subject in the universe other than 1,000 generic "fix google maps!" ad-laden sites. I've had exactly the same issue and simply can't believe no one else has... as I've had it now for probably two years across four devices of various brands and revisions. My guess is there just aren't that many folks not contracted into an unlimited data plan. I use pre-paid data on all my devices that have mobile data, and leave it off unless necessary. I then see this issue all the time; Google offline maps works great one day, then suddenly starts behaving like it's working with only downloaded cache. If I've been to a full-zoom/resolution "block" recently, I'll have full detail for that block of the map, but other blocks I haven't visited recently are in "base map" mode with ultra-low resolution (triangular lakes, only interstates or state routes showing, and no points of interest).

What makes it odd, and is key to this whole weird condition, is that the data exists - Maps knows where all those POIs are, what their hours and phone numbers are, it just won't display them unless searched on individually. And then it puts the pin down on an otherwise blank area. "Your store is here, open till 10pm, here's their phone number... but they're invisible...." Same with roads. It knows they're there, but won't display them. To Wax Bean's point; I can navigate down those roads, they just don't appear on the map. If I didn't have the map, navigation would have failed with "no route exists", but that's not what happens. The blue line shows up, going down invisible roads, and voice knows "turn right, turn left" during navigation, and all the road names are listed on the textual "steps" page, I'm just on an otherwise empty screen. The full map exists, and Google knows it's there - it just chooses not to display it. One tap of "mobile data" and bam - it all comes flooding back. And faster than it could download. I don't appear to be using enough data to re-download any portion of the map, it's just like Maps is mad that it hasn't been tickled lately. My best interpretation or analogy is that navigation is running off of the offline map, but the graphics are using separate cache data. Turning on mobile data (or wifi) somehow wakes it back up and it then backfills the cache with offline maps. Which lasts until the next time it purges some old cache then goes offline.

As for coincidences or influencing factors; three of my devices I DO have maps loaded on external SD card, but the fourth device experiencing the problem only has internal memory. I would entertain the SD-card-related theory if it weren't for the fact that, again, the data is there - it's just not displaying on the map. I also have multiple versions of Maps running on each device, from Maps 9.x.x.x to 10.77.0. One device is an old Nexus, one a recent Samsung, one an older Motorola, and a recent Motorola. All have the issue from time to time. Restarting Maps and/or the device does nothing. The only "fix" is either re-enabling data and then viewing the desired "blocks". Alternatively removing and re-downloading an offline map "fixes" the entire map. "Removing Google Maps" (uninstalling updates) and reinstalling only works in so much as it re-downloads the offline map.

The only coincidence remaining in my head is that I didn't notice this ill behavior until about the time Google extended their offline maps expiration from a month to a year. Unknown if the fresher maps didn't have time to begin experiencing (what I'm calling "the cache") problem, but my current "workaround" is to simply make sure and update my offline maps every week or so, whether they need it or not. That seems to keep things fresh and avoid the issue.

Not suggesting this as a solution - I'd love to hear what the "real" answer is. But I maintain that it would probably happen to any device, it's just that Wax Bean and myself may be the only people not daily connected to data.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Wax Bean Tycoon,

Someone after my own heart, swinging in front of Starbucks to get Maps running again! (Careful, my Dad had Lowes ask the cops to knock on his window once after an hour of answering emails on a laptop in their parking-lot, haha.) I'm certainly a unique case; an IT Engineer who despises 50% of technology, and tends to ignore the half I don't believe in. (Long rant there I won't bore anyone with, but the 50% that tempts us to be dumber, fatter, lazier, and less-skilled. GPS is a God-send, and self-parking a work of the devil... I digress...) For the last decade I'd survived with an old flip-phone, augmented by a few wifi-only pre-paid Android phones I never activated. (Or "cheap tablets" as I call them.) That came to a crashing end recently when the telcom-overlords repurposed my voice-only cellular channels for data, and my work now demands app-driven multi-factor authentication for everything... so I'm trying to make peace with carrying a smart-phone daily. And losing. Hence the experience with offline maps. I really just want something to replace my ancient TomTom that doesn't come with a monthly payment plan.

All that said, I'm going to completely admit defeat, stupidity, and failure of the scientific method... I've not, for years, tried pressing the "auto-update" switch. Working on the faulty assumption that "It doesn't expire for 11 months, why would it update?" But I'll try that - it makes more sense than tickling it with mobile data. As for software updates, I always recommend them, but myself, due to a certain professional arrogance, leave auto-updates off, as I trust myself to manually press it occasionally and got very tired of "cheap tablets" always waiting until I unlocked them to decide and download all their updates. Just when I want to use one, it begins a string of CPU-and-bandwidth smoking activity. Maybe I'll give up and go back to that. Thank you for the suggestion - embarrassed to say I haven't tried it previously. (And anyone else reading this is shaking their head in disgust. But hey, it ought to maintain the status-quo without auto-updates. :) )

Regards,

Kirk

Upvote 0
Update: well, things were going along ok with Google maps and navigation, until last night. While driving, I turned on Google "driving mode". I noticed something was a bit "off". All the detail was there, but the roads seemed tiny. More so than usual. also, it was after sunset, and the screen was still in the daylight (white background) mode rather than the darker background. Then I engaged a navigation route (searched a destination and engaged the driving directions)........and there was no blue line! The detail seemed ok, the voice prompts where there, just no blue line.

So, I decided to tap mobile data, and POW, almost immediately, the blue line appeared, and the screen switched to night mode (darker screen background). The roads seems a little larger/easier to see

So bottom line, Google maps isn't really good for true offline use (which sucks if someone is using their tablet with no internet connection). But for use with a smartphone..........with the tap of the mobile data.........it works.

No biggie, since I now use my smartphone instead of the tablet, and it really doesn't use up any mobile data to access internet for a few seconds, but jeez Google, get with the program.

thanks everyone who participated in this thread!

Shawn (Wax Bean Tycoon)

Wax Bean Tycoon,

Someone after my own heart, swinging in front of Starbucks to get Maps running again! (Careful, my Dad had Lowes ask the cops to knock on his window once after an hour of answering emails on a laptop in their parking-lot, haha.) I'm certainly a unique case; an IT Engineer who despises 50% of technology, and tends to ignore the half I don't believe in. (Long rant there I won't bore anyone with, but the 50% that tempts us to be dumber, fatter, lazier, and less-skilled. GPS is a God-send, and self-parking a work of the devil... I digress...) For the last decade I'd survived with an old flip-phone, augmented by a few wifi-only pre-paid Android phones I never activated. (Or "cheap tablets" as I call them.) That came to a crashing end recently when the telcom-overlords repurposed my voice-only cellular channels for data, and my work now demands app-driven multi-factor authentication for everything... so I'm trying to make peace with carrying a smart-phone daily. And losing. Hence the experience with offline maps. I really just want something to replace my ancient TomTom that doesn't come with a monthly payment plan.

All that said, I'm going to completely admit defeat, stupidity, and failure of the scientific method... I've not, for years, tried pressing the "auto-update" switch. Working on the faulty assumption that "It doesn't expire for 11 months, why would it update?" But I'll try that - it makes more sense than tickling it with mobile data. As for software updates, I always recommend them, but myself, due to a certain professional arrogance, leave auto-updates off, as I trust myself to manually press it occasionally and got very tired of "cheap tablets" always waiting until I unlocked them to decide and download all their updates. Just when I want to use one, it begins a string of CPU-and-bandwidth smoking activity. Maybe I'll give up and go back to that. Thank you for the suggestion - embarrassed to say I haven't tried it previously. (And anyone else reading this is shaking their head in disgust. But hey, it ought to maintain the status-quo without auto-updates. :) )

Regards,

Kirk

Upvote 0
I had the something similar on ipad, for me the solution was to select default map type (I had terrain map selected). As soon as I selected default map type all the roads from off line maps became visible

thanks for the reply. Wow. I had forgotten about this thread.

I still have the same problem. It doesn't seem to be as bad as when I first posted this thread, but still an issue of not getting the proper map information when using offline maps (no mobile data/internet access).

If there is a problem, I quickly access mobile data on phone, and it fills in the appropriate info rather quickly, then I turn off mobile data.

You'd think I shouldn't have to do that if I have offline maps, but here we are.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones