• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

OK Google - Working or not

Sorry Funky, I couldn't resist... :D ;)
rabc.jpg

And for anyone who doesn't know him...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rab_C._Nesbitt

Upvote 0
Just to throw gasoline on this thread add a little bit more information "OK Google" will also launch, open, search etc, through android wear. Just told my Moto360 to open android forums and it fired up the app on my phone. I told it the closest Chinese restaurant and it showed me the name with directions and hours of operations ... and the choice to open it on my phone.

Reactions: codesplice
Upvote 0
Just to throw gasoline on this thread add a little bit more information "OK Google" will also launch, open, search etc, through android wear. Just told my Moto360 to open android forums and it fired up the app on my phone. I told it the closest Chinese restaurant and it showed me the name with directions and hours of operations ... and the choice to open it on my phone.

Not in Hong Kong? :p

Upvote 0
My grandmother (Italian heritage living in Jersey) told us a little ditty as children.

Toity poiple blackboids were sittin' on a coibstone, choipin', boipin', eatin' doity woims. Along came Boit with a skoit named Goit and when he saw them blackboids sittin' on a coibstone, choipin', boipin', eatin' doity woims, boy was he pertoibed.

Thirty purple blackbirds, sitting on a curbstone were chirping, burping, eating dirty worms. Along came Burt with a skirt named Gert and when he saw those blackbirds, sitting on a curbstone, chirping, burping, eating dirty worms, boy was he perturbed.

You should try Pennsylvania Dutch. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I had a bit of trouble getting "OK Google" to work reliably for things other than search (which it does at least excel at) until I (accidentally) triggered the "help" or "hello" command. The displayed list of possible commands helped me immensely.

[shamelessly kanged from greenbot]
If Google Now doesn’t get your spoken commands right, you can correct it by saying “No, I said...” and trying the phrase again.
General information
  • How old is [Neil deGrasse Tyson]?
  • Where was [Louis C.K.] born?
  • Define [colloquial] (Or “What does [colloquial] mean?”)
  • What time is it in [Tokyo]?
  • Search for [photography tips]
  • Show me pictures of [the Leaning Tower of Pisa]
  • Do I need an umbrella today? What’s the weather like? What’s the weather in [New Orleans] [this weekend]?
  • What the [Google] stock price? What is [Apple] trading at?
  • What’s [182 yards] in [miles]? What is [12 ounces] in [liters]?
  • What’s [135] divided by [7.5]? (A great many types of math equations will work.)
  • Search [Tumblr] for [cat pictures] (more apps are added to this search-within-apps function all the time)
Device control
  • Open [greenbot.com]
  • Take a picture (“Take a photo” also works)
  • Record a video
  • Open [Spotify]
  • Turn [on / off] [Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, Flashlight]
Productivity
  • What’s the tip for [123 dollars]?
  • Set an alarm for [6:30 am]
  • Set a timer for [20 minutes]
  • Create a calendar event: [Dinner with Glenda, Saturday at 9pm.]
  • Remind me to [buy coffee at 7am] (try locations! Remind me to [buy coffee filters at Walgreens])
  • What is my schedule for tomorrow? (also: What does my day look like [Friday]?)
  • Where’s my package? (tracking confirmation must be in Gmail)
  • Make a note: [update my router firmware] (also try “Note to self:” This works with multiple apps, and you can even email yourself!)
  • Find [Florence Ion’s] [phone number] (Works with all info in your contacts - addresses, birthdays, etc.)
  • Show me my bills. (or: My bills due this week.)
Communication
  • Call [Jon] (also works with relationships: Call [sister])
  • Text [Susie] [great job on that feature yesterday] (also works with relationships: Text [mom] [I’m not going to be able to pick you up from the airport, period, I’m a bad son, period])
  • Send email to [Robert Baratheon], subject, [hunting], message, [I don’t think you should drink so much when you go hunting, period]
  • Post to [Twitter]: [Oh my god the Red Wedding episode!]
  • What is French for [I am Charlie]?
Navigation and Travel
  • Where is the nearest [sushi restauraunt]?
  • Navigate to [Willis Tower, Chicago]
  • Directions to [Fisherman’s Wharf] by [bike] (also try “Directions home” or “How do I get home?”)
  • Where is [the Louvre]?
  • Show me the menu for [Green Chile Kitchen]
  • Call [Asian Art Museum]
  • Show me my flight info
  • Where’s my hotel?
  • What are some attractions around here?
  • How do you say [good night] in [Japanese]?
  • What is [50,000 yen] in [dollars]?
  • What’s the flight status of [United] flight [735]?
  • Show me restauraunts near my hotel -or- Give me directions back to my hotel (this works if your hotel confirmation was sent to your gmail account)
Entertainment
  • Play some music (opens “I’m feeling lucky” radio station in Google Play Music)
  • Next Song / Pause Song
  • Play [Happy] (songs must be in Google Play Music on your device)
  • Watch [The Lego Movie] (movies and TV must be in your Google Play account)
  • What’s this song?
  • Listen to TV
  • What songs does [Pharrell] sing?
  • Read [Hunger Games]
  • Did the [Giants] win today? What’s the score in the [Warriors] game?
  • What movies are playing [tonight]? Where is [Toy Story] playing?
Fun hidden stuff
Many of these deliver funny voice responses, but normal search results. Turn up your sound!

• Flip a coin
  • Roll dice (rolls a single six-sided die)
  • What is the loneliest number?
  • Do a barrel roll!
  • Askew / Tilt
  • Go go Gadget [Spotify]
  • When am I?
  • Make me a sandwich
  • Sudo make me a sandwich
  • Who’s on first?
  • Up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right
  • Tell me a joke
  • Who are you?
  • Beam me up, Scotty!
  • What is [Jennifer Lawrence’s] Bacon number?

Upvote 0
I imagine that either will work - perhaps "Launch" just gives more preference to an app that's already installed versus a web app?
It's about apps with odd names.

If I say "open digEEEhud" (or say launch) then I get this -

1425915086028.jpg

And if I pronounce it normally, soft i, I get -

1425915143681.jpg

SCOTLAND!

Iow, it says, I don't know what DigiHUD is, he doesn't either. I'll change it to digital hud, find DigiHUD, and ask if he wants to visit the Play Store, even though I was commanded to launch it, per the directions I gave on my own use.

SCOTLAND! FLOOR 9! SCOTLAND!

Upvote 0
Inconsistent.

Sometimes it's Google's recognition servers. I think if there are connectivity issues, the default action is to search for the spoken text. There was an issue with wear commands for everyone back in December where watch-specific commands (eg. "show me my heart rate") were going to search rather than opening up the fitness app.

Reactions: codesplice
Upvote 0
Well, OK Google generally works pretty well for me, but part of it's probably just from the sheer amount I use Google for search, and the rest is probably from my super radio-like enunciation of American English, which I've developed over the years specifically for voice recognition software.

If I have any complaints, it's that "OK Google" activates way too often, like when I'm watching TV and something that sounds nothing like "OK Google" is uttered by pretty much anyone. I've disabled the feature for when I'm not in the search app specifically.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones