• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Old Fart (Tech-dinosaur) needs help, PLEASE! PROBLEM AFTER ROOTING

fuzztone

Jun 22, 2010
Old Fart, Tech-dinosaur needs help, PLEASE!
PROBLEM AFTER ROOTING:

Rooted Samsung SCH-I500 (Fascinate) Verizon via Odin; teamhacksung_fascinatemtd-ota-eng.BUILD2.zip (4.0.3)

After rooting a problem arose; while using Radio Shack Cat. No. 17-855 Wireless Phone Recording Controller, my side of the conversations were not detected, only the person I was talking with could be heard on subsequent recording.

Not trivial to me, because I tape all my conversations with an elderly guy who is like a surrogate father to me, in an effort to capture stories from him before his dementia worsens. I also taped all my conversations with my mom the last few years of her life, and gratefully captured some wonderful stories for posterity.

To be sure it was not a malfunction of the Recording Controller, I tested it with someone else

I'm not too far behind you fuzztone, so let's geezer this thread up a bit. If you see any kids on the lawn .... ;)

Just to be clear, you are using the device pictured below and connected as shown?

Radio-Shack-Wireless-Phone-Adaptor.jpg

And you say the device worked with another cell phone? Could you get the details on the model and Android version of that phone? It might help get to the bottom of this. Actually, this sort of thing is a very basic I/O contraption and your phone shouldn't care if it's this or your ZAGG earbuds/mic plugged into the audio jack.

I guess we should start with the basics (Yes, it's obvious stuff, but any good troubleshooting is just a process of elimination) Everything plugged in completely?

FYI, I moved this to the Fascinate - All Things Root forum. I think you'll get better help here.

Upvote 0
Thanks.

The device worked on this Fascinate phone (and several previous Androids even after rooting) before I rooted it. I think I was 2.3.5 prior to rooting.

Everything properly connected. Good question though; as I'm aware of the effects of 3.5 mm jack not fully inserted.

?? I didn't see any reference (photo/diagram) re: "Just to be clear, you are using the device pictured below and connected as shown?"

Setup is: Radio Shack Controller has 2 jack outputs, one 2.5 mm (adapted to 3.5 mm) input to 3.5 mm headphone jack on phone, and one 3.5 mm male to 3.5 mm female on digital recorder, and one input which is 2.5 mm to accomodate headphone/mic input.

Step right up, step right up...show your keen prowess and understanding of such compatibility issues with a possible solution...and...hey! what are those kids doin' on my lawn...oh, I used to do that too - with just a little Ginseng and some sweet talk...

Upvote 0
Other party can hear me as usual.

To accurately answer your question, I tested the Controller with the old Verizon earbuds/mic I’ve always used w/ it, and also adapted the ZAGG earbuds/mic to fit the 2.5 mm input to Controller. I both cases, I did not hear my voice through earpiece(s).

Even when the Controller worked normally, I don’t think I could ever hear my own voice through earbud; I only heard the other party. When the (normal) recording is played back, both sides of conversations are equalized in volume/clarity.

Upvote 0
from what i can recall of posts of people with similar problems...your problem is probably kernel related...because of the legality issues of call recording, you will find most phones to do not support the ability to record both sides of a conversation anymore. I'll see if i can dig up some posts that i remember reading...

Reactions: fuzztone
Upvote 0
Getting bolder; flashed eh03_full_odin.tar.md5 and cm-7.2.0-fascinatemtd.zip and used gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip, but saw conflicting info on the Gapps such that I might have better used gapps12/14/11???

phone works, recorder still doesn't.
Rat Sass...

I'm currently Android Version: 2.3.7
Baseband Version: S:i500.04V.EH03
Current Kernal: 2.6.35.14-g07dc0db-dirtyjt1134@UBUNTU#1

ANY ADVICE PLEASE?

-'da tad wiser Geezer

Over and Out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones