• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Oleophobic screen protectors?

I'm looking to get a good case for my Samsung Galaxy S3. I've been through two already;

• One was a two-piece rubber/plastic combo, which I bought because I thought the rubber was rigid silicon rubber, which would add some friction and keep the phone from sliding around. But it was this weird super-floppy rubber that added no friction, and required the second plastic piece just to stay on the phone. Oh, and it covered up the USB port so much that I couldn't even plug my official Samsung charger into my phone.
  • Another was a hard unflexible plastic one piece design, that didn't attempt to cover up either the USB port or the headphone jack, and even my chubby USB-OTG cable fit into the USB port with this phone case on. And it had a real steel metal plate on the back that looked slick, for only $5! The case would have been perfect, were it not for the fact that steel blocks wifi. My wifi signal instantly dropped by 20dB the moment I put the case on.

So in searching for new cases, I've found that some cover up the screen with a second piece of glass? My phone currently has one of those cheap thin plastic screen protector sheets, but they scratch SO easily, not to mention they are a magnet for fingerprints. My phone's glass is oleophobic and resists finger prints, but I need to protect it from pocket sand.

Has anyone here ever tried one of those oleophobic glass screen covers? Do they come with a back case too? Because I would imagine they would make it impossible for a back cover to fit, if they only covered the front screen.

I need to protect my phone, and fast. I am very very clumsy and I break things often; for example, I buy about 2-3 pairs of sunglasses per year, because I break/scratch them so often. The stupid design of this phone means that every time I put it flat on a table, I am scratching the camera glass. The camera glass already has two light but long scratches on it, I'm hoping they don't affect the picture quality.

Does hard plastic really protect the phone from a drop impact on a concrete sidewalk? Or do I need rubber? I know there exists super heavy duty cases for phones, but I'm not going to spend more than $20 on a case. I don't care if the case breaks the first time I drop it on concrete and I need to buy a new one, as long as the phone remains unscathed. It's like a bike helmet; you only really need it to work once.

Thanks for any info!

I have a greatshield two piece hard plastic case. It has a small lip that goes above the screen to keep it safe from a flat fall(in theory). Keeps the camera lens safe from scratches. I had the otterbox commuter, it offers great protection, but I felt it was too big to be comfortable, and its rubberized lip over the screen made it difficult to take out of pocket. The greatshield adds little bulk and has a slight rubberized coating gives good grip without being sticky. Can find it on amazon for around $10.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones