• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Optimus Net / PC Modem

Popas13

Lurker
May 14, 2012
Hello kind sirs,

I am currently using a Cricket USB modem on my PC to access the Internet. However, this is expensive and I always go over the data limit and get dialed back to a very slow 10 kbs!

I also have a pre paid phone that costs me 50 dollars a month for unlimited everything, but it is just a flip phone with no bells or whistles at all.

Now... I'm thinking of buying an LG Optimus Net with the idea of using it to tether to my PC to provide Internet access to the pc. Is this possible using Pda Net or Clockwork Mod on the Optimus Net?

As a rule I am an exceedingly poor person. If this is possible, I could totally cut out the Cricket bill.

I figure Net Ten would eventually dial down my speeds, but even so I doubt if it would be as slow as 10 kbs.

Any thoughts on this before I spend upwards of 150 dollars to set this all up? I'm not well versed in this but I have a damn good idea of what I'm looking to do, but I don't know if it is even possible or wise to do so.

Thank you for any advice!

Have you researched just changing carriers for you mobile data. Unless you want the smart phone to replace the flip phone so you have internet on the go and easy to carry (this is why I have a smart phone, I can't carry around a laptop everywhere). I'll keep my eye on any info that will help. I'm pretty busy in the forums so I might see something. I'm also looking at carriers with good coverage and data caps that are high, but cost for service is low. The only thing about Virgin Mobile, Metro PCS, and NET 10 I don't like is they all use Sprint for Data in the US. Slow speeds during heavy usage is very, very common.

Upvote 0
Yes I would replace the flip phone with the Optimus Net. That way I could pay just 50 dollars a month for unlimited phone with everything through Net Ten, and also get to use it for the PC Internet.

I just want to make sure this is a smart move on my part. If Net Ten offers unlimited data for 50 dollars a month, I thought using it as a PC Modem would cut out the Cricket Wireless USB Modem bill entirely.

I'm not a huge fan of Sprint coverage either, but they work ok in my city, and I'm not planning on going anywhere any time soon. Although, Sprint does offer unlimited Data.

Upvote 0
Thank you. After reading a bit there I do think that this can be done and as long as I do this correctly, I shouldn't have any problems.

I'll post here again in a week after I create this, and let others know what I did. Then I'll wait to see if Net Ten decides to brick my phone for me for using too much data, which is my only fear now.

Thanks Again!

Reactions: AndyOpie150
Upvote 0
Well, I picked the Optimus Net up and I really dig it. It is an arm6 processor at 800 Mhz, so not top of the line by any means. However, it plays mp4 movies without a hitch.

I am also having no problem using pda net on this. So, no more Cricket Wireless for my Internet, and no bill there.

I got this for just over 85 dollars after tax at Radio Shack, and now only have one bill for 50 bucks a month for phone and Internet. A very cost effective option.

I sure would like a HTC One X, but I'll be happy with this 3G Optimus Net until I win the lottery.

As an android cost saver, I highly recommend this phone. There is an Optimus Black that Net Ten is offering that is a big step up, but it costs over three times as much as this option.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones