• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Orbic Maui wiht Straight Talk Sim - Your phone needs a SIM card

cmayo

Lurker
Jul 16, 2013
I'm a Stright Talk customer and needed a temporary 2nd phone. I ordered a Verizon-network SIM and a month of service expecting to activate an old phone (Galaxy S5), but the phone wouldn't activate (ST says it's incompatible).

So I bought a $29 Orbic Maui (Verizon) from Walmart today expecting to plug in the Straight Talk SIM and activate it, but the phone refuses to recognize the SIM. "Your phone needs a SIM card to work. You may not have inserted your SIM card yet or it may be inserted incorrectly."

So I guess my question has an obvious answer but I gotta ask it, Is this phone likely to only work with a Verizon-branded SIM? In the past, I've been able to activate Verizon-branded phones with Straight Talk Verizon-network SIMs.

Any reason why you did not just get a Straight Talk phone?

Yes. I'm an eccentric billionaire who gets off on digging through the sofa cushions for loose change so I can spend it on poverty-level Walmart electronics in an attempt to salvage a $35 unreturnable airtime purchase for the lowest possible cost. My ultimate goal is to eventually be able to come here to Androidforums and ask the community for help so that folks can post obvious, unhelpful responses instead of answering my questions.

Upvote 0
Yes. I'm an eccentric billionaire who gets off on digging through the sofa cushions for loose change so I can spend it on poverty-level Walmart electronics in an attempt to salvage a $35 unreturnable airtime purchase for the lowest possible cost. My ultimate goal is to eventually be able to come here to Androidforums and ask the community for help so that folks can post obvious, unhelpful responses instead of answering my questions.
Easy there, it's a legit question. I know @puppykickr meant no offense. Have you tried talking to ST? Maybe a new sim is needed.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0

Huh?! :thinking:

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Why would you order a Verizon SIM when you are a Straight Talk customer?

None of this makes any sense whatsoever.

Gee, I tried to use an outdated device that is not from my chosen provider, and then put in a different SIM.
It won't work, but I don't know why.

So I bought another phone that is not from my carrier, and put in a SIM not designed for it and it still won't work.

I just cannot figure out what went wrong, but I will gladly spit on anyone trying to point out the obvious.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones