Otterbox case or just regular rubberized case?Accessories

Last Updated:

1. emblemboy

emblemboy Active Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
  2. SilHero

SilHero Well-Known Member

the customer reviews dont sound very good...i have the OtterBox commuter, and i love it.

also, dont buy straight from otterbox, search around for cheaper prices otterbox cases. i bought mine form cellguru and it was around $10 cheaper

3. V425

V425 Well-Known Member

I have a cheap (<$10) silicone case that I got on overstock.com and I think it works just fine. I've dropped my Hero a few times and its never gotten a scratch. The added bulk isn't always great (for girls its not always easy to slide into a pocket, lol) but it has a nice grip to it so you're also less likely to drop it

4. emblemboy

I always hear people talk about the commuter one. How about the impact one?
    The lowest I've found it for is around $10.

5. Polo63119

Polo63119 Well-Known Member

guys come on quit being cheap...

i have had otterbox cases for two diff blackberries and now for my hero

is worth $30 for the defender!! never have to worry about dropping your phone

6. Sixxx

Sixxx Well-Known Member

I have the red version of the "rubberized" hard case that i got off ebay for 4 bucks. I love it, but i don't really think it would protect the phone in a fall. It has a weird rubbery feel to it but it's definitely just made of hard plastic. If you're that worried about dropping your phone i wouldn't suggest buying it. If you just want something to protect it from scratches or something the case would be fine. They're a bitch to get off though, just a head's up.

7. i VTAK

i VTAK Well-Known Member

I have the Otterbox Commuter and love it!! I don't think I could deal with the Defender though, that thing looks like it's ready for battle!!

Like someone else said, don't go directly to Otterbox for a case. I paid just over $20 through Amazon for my Commuter.

8. EgeBamyasi

EgeBamyasi Well-Known Member

I know you're deciding between cases, but after having the Commuter for the second part of a Wisconsin winter, I went back to being naked for the warmer weather. I've dropped it numerous times with it naked and no issues what so ever. I just don't want the bulk in limited summer clothing.

But once the snow and slush and salt and sand starts again, back it goes into the Commuter. Adds some bulk but fine for me in winter and protects well.

9. emblemboy

So the commuter is what I should look into?

No one has had the Impact version or something?

10. EgeBamyasi

The Commuter will offer better protection with some bulk than what the Impact will, if that's what you're looking for.

11. glen4cindy

glen4cindy Well-Known Member

I have the Commuter and I really love it. I won't ever go back.

12. 330D

330D From My Cold Dead Hands VIP Member

13. emblemboy

Hmm. I guess I"ll get the commuter then.
    Got one for $21 on ebay

14. Polo63119

Polo63119 Well-Known Member

i meant to type commuter

i had defender for blackberry and it was bulky but solid

15. Cuso

Cuso Well-Known Member

I think youre wrong, the Impact ( hence the name) was made to offer better bump and drops protection. The Commuter is made for the peeps that want less bulk but the ability for pocket carry. It is just another silicone wrap with the plastic casing so that it does not snag in your pockets or holster. It does offer some degree of protection but not like the Impact (or the Defender which is made for Skydivers ,Cavers , Soldiers and people with small children <--ME)

I personally have a Commuter that I carry in a leather holster and it works wonders.

16. EgeBamyasi

Well there's dropping and bouncing to only have the screen smash into somthing else along it's journey with the Impact, or there's less bounce and comes to rest more quickly with the Commuter. We can go around and around as to all the possible scenerios.
    Also, the Impact does not offer the USB/charging port and headphone jack plug protection. If I drop it it in the snow, I know these access points are well protected against water to some degree. Of course, both the mic and speakers are not protected at all against water entry with either.

17. Cuso

Cuso Well-Known Member

Indeed, the scenarios are endless, but like I said you can always get the Defender and cover all your bases...:D

18. tazcollins

tazcollins Well-Known Member

I have OCD (Obsessive Case Disorder). I started with the cheap eBay ones like that one. Then I got the Sprint silicone 2 pack. Then I got the Otterbox Commuter. Then I got the Sprint Body Glove. I still have them all. They all have their good sides and bad sides. I wish I could just stick with one. I honestly like the Sprint silicones best. The Commuter has a problem with the charge port plug staying put. It comes about halfway out. I called Otterbox and was told that they couldn't make it to stay all the way in. I also have a problem with the volume adjustment buttons. They're just too hard to push compared with the naked buttons. The Body Glove is nice just very thick with slight play between the two pieces. So pick your poison but naked is the sexiest and I sometimes go naked! TC

19. i VTAK

i VTAK Well-Known Member

I had the same problem with the charge port on my Commuter but after awhile it seems to have broken in and now stays put. As for the volume, I feel it works better with the case on.

20. 330D

330D From My Cold Dead Hands VIP Member

My charge port flapper was always fine, it doesn't come out unless I take it out. And I totally agree about the volume button.

SilHero likes this.
  21. mysticmead

mysticmead Well-Known Member

the charge port plug on mine has always fits perfectly.. My otterbox saved me a lot of $$ last week when my phone decided to make a suicide attempt by leaping to the ground when I was taking it out of my pocket.. if I didn't have the otterbox I know it would have been more than an attempt.. end result with the otterbox case.. no damage at all.

22. Sixxx

Sixxx Well-Known Member

By the way in case anyone was curious I'm very happy with my plastic "rubberized" peice of crap that i got off ebay for 4 bucks.

23. normandg

normandg Active Member

I also have the commuter. My only complaint about that is that the sides are too slick. It makes the unit to easy to drop. I am loking forward to the new case. It will cost more but I like the grips on the sides like the one they have for the iPhone (that my son uses).
    Norman

24. Rube8514

Rube8514 Well-Known Member

I LOVE MY COMMUTER, but i just saw that the Defender is finally coming to the Hero....im not sure if i want to spend the money on it or not since the Commuter is doing the trick. What is everyone else doin?

25. peck1524

peck1524 Well-Known Member

I'm staying with my Commuter